Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due May 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Buttercup78

Ah no I know what you mean, I've been through it before and selfish as it sounds mentally I just don't want to be defined by the pregnancy. Its a busy important time at work and I'd rather me being pregnant wasn't common knowledge. Ah ignore her, sure our son was 1 a month before our first wedding anniversary..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Ah no I know what you mean, I've been through it before and selfish as it sounds mentally I just don't want to be defined by the pregnancy. Its a busy important time at work and I'd rather me being pregnant wasn't common knowledge. Ah ignore her, sure our son was 1 a month before our first wedding anniversary..:)

Exactly buttercup!! I'm still me, I'm not a mushy maternal person, I don't want them acting all funny on me. That friend who said that (I love her to death, she doesn't even know it hurt me) then wouldn't let me carry 4 small items in the supermarket, and was watching everything I ate (didn't help that I ate quite a few bold things lol), I was like, hey, I'm still me, I can carry some fecking household items to a till!

That's the other thing, things like that don't sound selfish to me, I find the whole precious attitude about pregnancy and children highly irritating, it's part of life, it's not the be all and end all. I just want to be left alone about it and still talked to normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Spottybananas I think I get where your coming from. My family definitely suspect but it's very early to tell them yet. 9 weeks on Sunday!! Also will get very tired/bored very quickly because I know the talk will all be about baby names, crèche, future plans, weight....everything and anything and as it's all ages away. I'm just not thinking about it all yet.
    Would love to wait till Xmas to tell people but I would have to just lock myself away till then!
    Would be hoping not to tell work until after Xmas but not sure if that will work. Have a night out soon and don't know how I'm going to get out if it without people not suspecting.
    On another note still feeling so tired. Hoping this will pass after 12 weeks otherwise it will be a long 9 months.
    Very bloated too. Ah the joys :)

Blingy I wanted to wait until Christmas too but my husband and mother are afraid if we don't tell now it will leak out through those that do know...so annoying. We've already had one person figure it out due to spotting us in the hospital, despite actually getting a firm denial from another relative, she just ran with it and caught my husband on the hop and he couldn't deny it!

I could definitely get away with not telling anyone going by how I look, I look the same as ever, so at this rate I won't have any hint of a bump for a long long time. I'm self employed so luckily don't have to worry about telling work :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Hiya ladies, still on holidays but managed to get some wifi. We haven't told any more people yet but have agreed to tell everyone when we get home and I'm dreading it! I just can't say gthe words at all, but can chat away to the people who do know about it no problem! My godmother will be home from the UK when we get home and I'm extremely close to her so I'm glad to be able to tell her in person - otherwise I don't think I'd tell people yet.

I'm coming up to 13 weeks, still exhausted all the time and still feeling sick/gagging if I leave too long between eating but also having strong food aversions so struggling to find things to eat - fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

I hear you on the exhaustion. The tiredness has really hit me today. It's not just yawning, but full body tiredness. :(

My first hospital scan is in about 3 weeks so I might tell some friends after that. I'm also worried about the conversations being purely about the baby for the next few months though once people know, like has been mentioned above.

Edited to add that I'm dying to find out if it's a boy or a girl. Is that at the 20 week scan?

Yeah usually the 20 week or so scan. If you want to know remember to ask, some hospitals are weird and won't ask if you want to know. Plus remember sometimes they can't tell if baby has arms or legs in the way. :)

Just having a wave of nausea now, ugh, it's a constant balancing act to not eat too often/not leave it too long/not eat the wrong thing to feel ok. I'm over 13 weeks now, my stupid app keeps saying things like these ease now! :p I am eternally grateful that I have never actually vomited and have nearly made it through the first trimester without that, but the food aversions and nausea are just crap. I made one of my favourite dinners last night and didn't like it :( I seem to be able to suppress this when I need to though, when I was away for a few days I could eat pretty much anything...but I had lots of bloating rather than nausea/food aversions, maybe that's the pay off for that.

I can't believe I'm nearly into the second trimester :eek: Shocking stuff.

Time is skipping ahead to having to tell some family over the next few days, once it's out I can't take it back...eep. How will I get the words out?? I see angeldelight has the same problem, can't say the words! So far I've skirted around it and told people in a roundabout way, but for some older relatives I suppose I'll just have to say the actual words "I'm pregnant", not sure how I'll manage that!

Hope everyone is well and having a good weekend x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

The opening line 'sooo....we have some news' is pretty effective :)

Dolbert wrote: »
    The opening line 'sooo....we have some news' is pretty effective :)

Ok one person told, about 5 to go this weekend. I stumbled nicely through it, begged my mother to tell the person, while a perfect opportunity presented itself and the person guessed. God I don't like this!

• Advertisement

Ok one person told, about 5 to go this weekend. I stumbled nicely through it, begged my mother to tell the person, while a perfect opportunity presented itself and the person guessed. God I don't like this!

Bring your scan photo with you and just show them that. It speaks for itself :)

WittyName1 wrote: »
    Bring your scan photo with you and just show them that. It speaks for itself :)

Am yeah but my scan photo looks like nothing. For those over 50 that I'm telling who need glasses to read/see things handing them a small pic of a random scan won't help, my scan is completely crap looking.

Am yeah but my scan photo looks like nothing. For those over 50 that I'm telling who need glasses to read/see things handing them a small pic of a random scan won't help, my scan is completely crap looking.

It should still be fairly obvious to most people, if not all people, that it's a pregnancy scan :)
    Ours is blurry too with barely any detail since it was done at 7 weeks but once we whipped it out and showed it to family they very quickly put 2 and 2 together :)

Well my grandparents and father who have never seen a pregnancy scan wouldnt know what it was if I just handed it to them, it would just be a small nondescript piece of paper. Anyways, all done now.

Waiting to go to the airport and will be home tomorrow - funny reading about your struggles to tell people spotty, I've been saying to hubby how it's going to be awful having to say it and he doesn't get it so was great to show him your posts - it's not just me!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

Sorry this is a bit of a moan as hubby is away and have no one to confide in!! I'm feeling soo tired all of the time everything is a huge effort and feel crappy as haven't been able to exercise. Thank god I've no sickness and know I'm lucky but I'm also worried cos I don't? We are booked on next week for a scan so I know I will feel reassured after that. Also I seem to wake up with bad headaches in the morning even though I'm drinking lots of water during the day ? I feel like I get dehydrated at night but would be peeing all night if I drink water in bed!! Hope everyone is doing well x

You're worried because you're not sick? You're lucky, no point being worried about that! Not everyone gets sick with pregnancy, I haven't been physically sick at all.

Angeldelight what's not to get? This is a big important life changing thing we've never said before in our approx 30 years on the planet, it's difficult to say it.

My idiot father has already told a friend, after swearing yesterday he wouldn't tell anyone. Lots of our family still don't know and he's already blabbing, this is why I don't want to tell people! You'd swear he was the greatest dad in the world they way he's going on, he didn't even raise me and is already going on about what a great grandad he will be >:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 _Queenbee_

Good luck spottybananas dealing with everything... Things do seem to be so complex to deal with. Everything is like an obstacle to cross...

Fingers crossed things will calm down in second trimester. Impatiently waiting for this and hoping it will be better

True that for a first one, i'm clueless on what will really happen next.

Relying on thread and books/apps!

Thanks for replying to the classes question i asked some time back. My first scan is next week and will look into the classes.

Second trimester as of today! :eek: Madness. I have another scan in about 10 days so I'm looking forward to that, hoping everything is still ok and we get a clearer image this time.

My husband is telling the world and its mother if let, he has told his boss because "he had to" (he didn't), yet most of his family still don't know because we haven't seen them! Will be telling them next week and the week after when we can get to them in person.

Feeling fine, all I have to prove its existence is heartburn, insomnia and crazy dreams...which isn't a lot of proof really!

12 weeks as of today myself! Having the crazy dreams myself, I'm fast asleep by 10 every night, which is early for me. I'm still nauseous, either I don't eat and feel sick or eat and feel sick. I tend to go to bed every night in pain, no matter how little or how much I eat it feels like my stomach is going to burst.
    First hosp. Appointment next week, sorta dreading it, didn't have the best labour experience last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

12 weeks as of today myself! Having the crazy dreams myself, I'm fast asleep by 10 every night, which is early for me. I'm still nauseous, either I don't eat and feel sick or eat and feel sick. I tend to go to bed every night in pain, no matter how little or how much I eat it feels like my stomach is going to burst.
    First hosp. Appointment next week, sorta dreading it, didn't have the best labour experience last time.

Buttercup that's pretty much exactly how I am feeling at the moment. Very bloated. OH asked me this morning was the bump baby and it couldn't be as I'm only 9w5d it's all bloat. Eating a lot better in the last couple of days than I was but always feel like crap afterwards. Bed every night between 9-9.30pm which is crazy early for me. Getting min 9 hrs sleep a night otherwise I just cannot function. It's all so odd to me!!!
    Oh yeah crazy crazy dreams every night.

I'm 14 weeks today not 12, my app counts this as second trimester, not from 12 weeks on...? So that's what I'm going by.

I am going bed earlier than usual, but then waking for 1-2 hour chunks during the night, great fun :rolleyes:

Yeah I feel cheated haha I always thought first 12 weeks was first trimester but second trimester only starts at 14 weeks! I'm 13w 5d, still feeling sick if I let myself get too hungry but can't bear thought of eating anything :o Have told a few people now and with each person it gets a little easier - there's a family housewarming Sunday afternoon so my mam and dad will tell loads of people there for me, aunts and uncles I'm not that close to and then there's not many left to tell thank God!

The dreams are mad aren't they haha they were one of my earliest symptoms before I did pregnancy test but have died down now - I'm so busy getting up to pee 4 times a night I don't have time to dream any more!

Neither of us have said the words pregnant or baby yet when telling people, metaphors etc are much easier to cope with.

I don't have to pee during the night, its just the dreams and insomnia waking me up, so at least thats something! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Time for me to join the club, am due 4th May. Was really apprehensive about going public until we booked in yesterday and had our scan. Thankfully all went well so im actually excited now more than worried for the first time since finding out.

Time for me to join the club, am due 4th May. Was really apprehensive about going public until we booked in yesterday and had our scan. Thankfully all went well so im actually excited now more than worried for the first time since finding out.

Congratulations :) the scan is so reassuring isn't it?! There's only a few days between us, I'm due the 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Congratulations :) the scan is so reassuring isn't it?! There's only a few days between us, I'm due the 1st

Thanks a million
    Most definitely reassuring. I had a miscarriage 7 years ago and wouldn't allow myself to get my hopes up with this pregnancy at all. Even now I dont know how I'm going to be able to wait 7 more weeks for my next scan. Im both really impatient and an awful worrier. Although I'm sure my mind will rest easier when i can feel the baby moving.

I have to say I'm spoiled - we went private so I get to see baba every few weeks, have another scan on Monday. It'll be nice to feel movement though so I can start to feel pregnant and not just tired

I've had a scan at 8 & 11.5 weeks and have another next week at 15 weeks, even though I'm going public. I won't relax any bit until after the anomaly scan, but tbh I've seen enough happen people through pregnancy labour and after that I won't truly relax until we're home from hospital about a week, all going well. I would be lovely to know less than I do about all this stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

Just back from my first scan and am soo happy! Was amazing to see the little one ! It was jumping all over the place which was funny to see! Can't stop looking at the photograph - I'm in love! I know there's a long way to go yet but for me that was the first hurdle done with!!

Advertisement