Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due May 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Denise2007

Myself and my husband discovered we having a baby on Thursday after 2 years of trying. We are thrilled, baby due 23rd May. Have a doctors appointment on Tuesday. No idea what to expect, any guidance ??

V excited ! X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Denise2007 wrote: »
    Myself and my husband discovered we having a baby on Thursday after 2 years of trying. We are thrilled, baby due 23rd May. Have a doctors appointment on Tuesday. No idea what to expect, any guidance ??

V excited ! X

I replied to your original post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Congrats Denise! Exactly as spottyb described above. If you're in Dublin and have a choice of hospitals think about which one you want to go to. Also think about public/semi-private/private before the GP appointment, I found that she just asked me what I had decided so if I hadnt decided already I wouldn't have known what to say

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Denise2007

Congrats Denise! Exactly as spottyb described above. If you're in Dublin and have a choice of hospitals think about which one you want to go to. Also think about public/semi-private/private before the GP appointment, I found that she just asked me what I had decided so if I hadnt decided already I wouldn't have known what to say

Thanks so much for that. Am still in a daze with the positive tests !

I am living in South Dublin so have started thinking of hospitals. Am thinking of Holles Street and maybe Semi-Private. Need to do a little more research as all a bit confusing !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Denise2007 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for that. Am still in a daze with the positive tests !

I am living in South Dublin so have started thinking of hospitals. Am thinking of Holles Street and maybe Semi-Private. Need to do a little more research as all a bit confusing !

It certainly is very confusing but the hospital websites have loads of info.
    I have chosen semi private in holles st would have liked to go private for my first but it's just not gonna happen.
    My first gp appointment entailed very little he didn't do a test just upped my thyroid meds and asked what hospital I had chosen and told me to just ring them and book in. Back in 6weeks for bloods but only because of my thyroid. I kinda expected more. He did give some advice but also said it was fine to enjoy one glass of wine with my dinner every so often ( thought that was a bit odd before the 12 wk mark and can't see myself having one).
    Congrats Denise and best of luck with your choice of care.

• Advertisement

Blingy wrote: »
    I kinda expected more. He did give some advice but also said it was fine to enjoy one glass of wine with my dinner every so often ( thought that was a bit odd before the 12 wk mark and can't see myself having one).

There isn't really a whole lot that they can do/advise when confirming it, home tests are more sensitive than the tests they have, and it's still very early so there isn't much to say if you can self refer and don't need their advice on it.

Tbh I think that's fine advice about the wine, an odd glass won't make a difference before the 12 week mark (or after), if something's going to go wrong it won't be affected by a single glass of wine now and then. I think it's quite nice that your doctor isn't of the fear inducing "GIVE UP EVERYTHING YOU LOVE!" variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

Welcome to the May group Denise :)

I'm due on 31st May with my first. Very exciting.
    I didn't bother going to my gp. I contacted the hospital myself and am booked in for my first scan. We're thinking of going for an early scan ourselves around week 8 for some extra peace of mind.

No major symptoms here other than swollen boobs. All of my tops are feeling a little tight around my chest. Also my stomach gets bloated now and then too.
    I'm treating every symptom as a good sign though. Hopefully I can remain this positive if morning sickness kicks in!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

Hi hope everyone is doing well! I was just wondering if anyone is considering doing a nuchal scan with their first scan? I hadn't heard of it until two friends mentioned they had it done and am a bit stressed out wondering if we should have it done..my niece has a heart defect and am wondering if this is something better to be aware of or will it just cause extra stress through your pregnancy?

I think it's a very personal decision - our doctor asked us did we want any extra testing done and we said no but that's not to say it wouldn't be right for you. We are of the opinion that if something comes up we'll deal with it but we won't seek out extra worry and stress for ourselves. Again that's us, everyone is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Buttercup78

I think if you're going for an extra test I'd look moreso into the panorama or harmony tests. They're pricey but a bit more indepth. I'm 36 but I don't think we'd go for an extra test, the 20 week scan would more than likely show up anything, plus I don't think we'd be doing anything. We've a few genetic problems in our family, some pretty horrific and I'd be in bits from 13 weeks instead of 20 or so if that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 _Queenbee_

Blingy wrote: »
    You should try and do something nice for yourself. Go for a nice walk, have a relaxing afternoon on the couch with a girly/or good movie, have a snooze on the couch, do some pampering, etc.

Hopefully your nausea will ease up soon and you'll start to feel more positive :)

My ibs has flared up which is not nice also having regular abdominal pain and some nausea and only at 5 weeks....long way to go.

Thanks. This week was a lot better thankfully. Still sick once or twice a day but can eat more and drinking Ribena like mad!

Went out for walks and went to jacuzzi in the gym once. Was good to be out. Hope your ibs is better.

Welcome and congrats to ladies with good news this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 _Queenbee_

Don't feel guilty, everyones entitled to mope and be miserable when they feel constantly sick!

Thanks - great to be able to interact with people in similar situations!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Joining the thread due first baby 10 may 2015. Had an early scan sat and everything ok, still feels very surreal. Not told any family yet, thinking of next weekend (10 weeks) any of you told family/friends yet

Joining the thread due first baby 10 may 2015. Had an early scan sat and everything ok, still feels very surreal. Not told any family yet, thinking of next weekend (10 weeks) any of you told family/friends yet

We haven't told anyone at all yet either. I'm only 6 weeks so will organise an early scan for around 8 weeks and might tell family then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

WittyName1 wrote: »
    We haven't told anyone at all yet either. I'm only 6 weeks so will organise an early scan for around 8 weeks and might tell family then :)

We are thinking of the same. Do an early scan 8-9 weeks and then tell family around the bank hol weekend.

Haven't told anyone yet, have an early scan next Sat and will go tell parents and in laws that afternoon.

We've told loads of people - told my parents, husbands parents and his sister as her wedding was when I was 8 weeks and I was so tired needed to be able to go to bed when I wanted to and not be quizzed about not drinking. Had to tell 3 people in work due to situations arising where I couldn't do something and had to ask them to and then told one other friend because I couldn't help myself! Met her for lunch the day before her baby's first birthday and all she talked about the whole time was being pregnant and giving birth so I cracked!

We're going on holidays for two weeks next week so will tell everyone when we get back

We've told one person but will have to fess up to my best friend at the weekend for my birthday & she's planned a afternoon of drinking and I won't be able to lie her! We are going to get a scan at 10 weeks! Went for my first run tonight some finding out (was nervous!) and am exhausted!!!

I've been trying to keep my running up too, doing well once or twice a week but I'm usually ill at least one run night a week. Have two 10ks in Nov, hopefully I can get them done in a good time.

I've been trying to keep my running up too, doing well once or twice a week but I'm usually ill at least one run night a week. Have two 10ks in Nov, hopefully I can get them done in a good time.

That's brill fair play! Once I got over the pain golf my boobs it was grand! 😳 I really want to try & stay fit!

• Advertisement

Yeah I've started wearing 2 running bras. The feeling nauseous is pretty bad at the moment, supposed to be out doing 8k tonight, but dying on the couch. Hopefully once the all day sickness passes I'll be back property, till then I'll get out as much as I can. I'm trying to put on as little as I can, learnt my lesson from last time. So hopefully back to spinning too once I get the all clear from the scan on Sat. I think even when I have to give up the running I'll be out walking as much as I can.

Yikes - fair play to you both with your running!

I'm slightly worried about the weight gain that's going to come with pregnancy I must admit. I'm not that active at the best of times so will have to change that and watch my food intake from now on.

I'm not fit at all and very overweight. So far at 10 weeks I'm 1lb less than when I found out I was pregnant. Appetite is coming back last 2 days so have to start being careful now

I'm fit but still overweight ;) I've lost 4lbs since I found out i was pregnant, still 3kgs more than I was at my 12 week appointment last time, so I'm very conscious of not putting on much. I know I'll have to do the GTT test too, as I had to do it last time. In fairness I think I put 10 lbs on up to 28 weeks last time, but I seemed to explode once I hit 30 weeks! :) I don't eat too much crap but I know I really need to up my veg intake as much as I can.

I am also a bit overweight anyway but do a good bit of exercise! I just don't want to end up too worse off afterwards! I'm also going to spinning and walking if not up to doing anything else. I really want loads of grapes and fruit at the moment do hope that lasts haha!

I wish I could make myself relax - have had appetite back a few days and not nauseous any more which is great, but then a niggly little voice starts saying what if that's cause there's something wrong? Rationally I know that's a silly way to be thinking!! Have my second scan on Monday evening so that will help I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

I wish I could make myself relax - have had appetite back a few days and not nauseous any more which is great, but then a niggly little voice starts saying what if that's cause there's something wrong? Rationally I know that's a silly way to be thinking!! Have my second scan on Monday evening so that will help I suppose

I'm the exact same symptoms easing off and I'm thinking oh maybe there's something wrong! I think it's just me to worry and my hospital scan isn't until November. Although I had an early scan thank god. Are your scans with the hospital or private?

Glad it's not just me!! In the hospital but I went privately so my consultant does them

Yeah I could easily get away with not noticing anything different if I didn't know I was pregnant, when I'm distracted or busy I don't have symptoms at all which really shows how much of it is psychological, like people feeling tired/nauseous after they do the positive test.

I have my 12 week scan Monday too, even though I will be slightly under 12 weeks, because it goes by LMP dates, but we had a private scan that by measurements is just under. Even though we saw the heartbeat and all that at the private scan the closer it gets to the 12 week one the less comfort that gives me now really, it's as if I haven't had that one, I'm fully expecting there to be no heartbeat, missed miscarriage. I've had no pain and only 2 minor incidents of bleeding/spotting, very minor ones, so I'm waiting to see. The one friend I told is ridiculously excited and going on about names, plans for next summer with me/us, I had to keep saying "You're getting waaaay ahead"!

• Advertisement

Yep spotty that's exactly what I think I'll be told on Monday - have myself convinced!

Fingers crossed for both of us for Monday - I'll be 11w1d based on measurements from last scan

Advertisement