Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rescued 2 week old kitten

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

damagegt wrote: »
    Sure am.Iv already built him a scratching post/bed

Or, to the rest of the world, your beloved couch/leg/doorpost/curtains/laptop, etc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

NipNip wrote: »
    How is the kitten?
    Doing better were up 2g then we were at 5 this morning and thats after defecating.Which was good to see.It was a small bit dry but not to bad.He just had 1ml of a sugar water solution and 3-4ml of the formula and temps are all good.Hes still not very strong at suckling,almost like he doesnt know how to do it so feeding can take a bit of time.

Its so strange when I put him down my top I can hear him trying to suckle,don't get any ideas :), but if i move him to feed him he stops,very frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Doing better were up 2g then we were at 5 this morning and thats after defecating.Which was good to see.It was a small bit dry but not to bad.He just had 1ml of a sugar water solution and 3-4ml of the formula and temps are all good.Hes still not very strong at suckling,almost like he doesnt know how to do it so feeding can take a bit of time.

Its so strange when I put him down my top I can hear him trying to suckle,don't get any ideas, but if i move him to feed him he stops,very frustrating.

Omg, laughing so much here reading that! Good to hear he's perked up a bit on this morning. You're a star OP and keep up the good work. You'll soon have half of boards following this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

wow this thread has taken off. Good on you op. Purring is always a good sign.

His tiny paws are mauling the chest off me now! He seems much stronger.I just noticed one of his ears is up now.......not so much the other one.Hes looking a little lopsided.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Its so strange when I put him down my top I can hear him trying to suckle,don't get any ideas :)

Our own cat, who was dumped into our garden by some soulless being, is now massive, he weighs 7.5 kilos - he's not overweight, he's just big in size, very tall and long. He floats between being a big bully and a complete dote. Anyway, when he's in the adorable kitty phase, he sits on your lap - on on your bed - starts kneading and purring, gets hold of whatever bit of fabric he can find, be it your shirt or your blanket, and he starts suckling, leaving a massive wet patch behind. He's 4 years old... :rolleyes:

The ears are normal, as far as I can remember from all the kittens we had before - if I'm not mistaken, they're "blooming", for lack of a better word.

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but you should know that now your street cred is well and truly gone - you're his mammy now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Brilliant to hear news like that. You now are officially the kittens mammy when he's kneading u like that.

New Home wrote: »
    Our own cat, who was dumped into our garden by some soulless being, is now massive, he weighs 7.5 kilos - he's not overweight, he's just big in size, very tall and long. He floats between being a big bully and a complete dote. Anyway, when he's in the adorable kitty phase, he sits on your lap - on on your bed - starts kneading and purring, gets hold of whatever bit of fabric he can find, be it your shirt or your blanket, and he starts suckling, leaving a massive wet patch behind. He's 4 years old... :rolleyes:
    Thats exatly what hes doing,if I disturb him hes not to happy about it.Its such a relief to see the change in him compared to this morning then I was running around not having a clue what to do with him.
    I cant thank everyone enough.

Brilliant to hear news like that. You now are officially the kittens mammy when he's kneading u like that.
    Thats what my niece and her flock of local kids she brought to see the show said too.I told her to charge them so now their just staring in the window instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

My bottle raised baby is the same with the sucking and kneading. The blanket was the one that was in his bed when he was a baby so he must remember it, he's happiest when cuddled up on my chest sucking away on his blankie even though he's a year and a half now!

• Advertisement

Just an idea - not sure if it'll work... maybe try putting a few drops of milk on a clean cloth - something lightweight and clean, like a handkerchief - and put that near his mouth where he can reach. It might entice him to suckle, and might make feeding time easier - if he takes from it... worth a shot, I suppose.

ill give it a try at 10 for next feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Oh my god SMX, that's the cutest thing EVER! Dude is adorable :D

damagegt, best of luck with your new lil baby, it sounds like your a complete natural at this and your instincts are bang on! Plenty of pics please :D

quick question,How do I go about cleaning him.He has some formula on his face,soft,wet,warm.damp,lint free cloth ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

at 10?

Oh my god SMX, that's the cutest thing EVER! Dude is adorable :D

damagegt, best of luck with your new lil baby, it sounds like your a complete natural at this and your instincts are bang on! Plenty of pics please :D
    Just took a few there so ill get them up as soon as I can.

quick question,How do I go about cleaning him.He has some formula on his face,soft,wet,warm.damp,lint free cloth ?

Use your fingers.

Use your fingers.
    The last feed was 7 so the next is ten.
    I don't know how comfortable I am with touching his face with my hands no matter how much I clean them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

New Home wrote: »
    Just an idea - not sure if it'll work... maybe try putting a few drops of milk on a clean cloth - something lightweight and clean, like a handkerchief - and put that near his mouth where he can reach. It might entice him to suckle, and might make feeding time easier - if he takes from it... worth a shot, I suppose.
    .. and if that works wrap the tip of the syringe in the hankerchief and feed him that way.
    Well done on looking after him so well, you're doing a great job, you must be exhausted!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I just used some kitchen paper dampened in warm water, did the trick nicely :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

the kitten is 2 weeks old. apart from probably scalding its skin, I can see no benefit in this. If the OP wishes to keep this little fella alive, it has to live in close contact with his temperature - skin to skin.

This is what you do with orphaned calves on the farm, is it? Skin to skin with them in the cowshed for hours on end?
    How do you propose a hot water bottle could scald the kittens skin through both the blanket wrapped around it, AND the kitten's fur?
    You have no idea what you're talking about and only seem to want to belittle the OP and bring nothing but negativity without even reading the posts.

Yep... I was just thinking we should all start a game of Spot the Troll...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Christ, NipNip seems to be longing for the little scrap not to make it. :rolleyes:

Well done OP - you're doing a fantastic thing; hoping hard the little tyke makes it. Seems good so far. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Two horrible stories about cats in the news today so it's lovely to stumble across this thread. Hope he/she pulls through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Reading this thread brings back memories of when we rescued my two cats, one at 8 weeks and the other at 6. It was a great feeling to see them thrive. They're now 10 and 6 years old. I wish you all the best. You're doing great OP! :)

Do you honestly think i would still be reading this thread if I didn't think the little mite had a chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭jimf

Magenta wrote: »
    This is what you do with orphaned calves on the farm, is it? Skin to skin with them in the cowshed for hours on end?
    How do you propose a hot water bottle could scald the kittens skin through both the blanket wrapped around it, AND the kitten's fur?
    You have no idea what you're talking about and only seem to want to belittle the OP and bring nothing but negativity without even reading the posts.

when I joined boards at first magenta I used to take issue with these kind of posts but I have since learned they disappear soon enough if not fed

Photo time.The first one looks like someone with cotton buttcheeks is squatting over him but rest assured it is just my top.
    photo1_zps260b69f0.jpg
    photo2_zps6cb9eef7.jpg
    photo3_zpsdd40d610.jpg

I want the scrap to make it! I want it as much as I did at 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 with pet lambs, kittens, dogs, calves, whatever was sick at the time. And I finally learned, FINALLY LEARNED, not to keep my hopes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭jimf

he/she looks a picture may I suggest the name jedward from the hairstyle in the last 2 photos

Advertisement