Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rescued 2 week old kitten

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

Ugh, this thread has me like an emotional wreck today! I'm rooting for you and kitty OP, I really am. Fair play to SillyMango with the advice :) COME ON KITTY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Ya I was the same,I used to live in the country when I was a kid and my sisters were forever bringing animals home,they still do.We had a jackdaw for a few weeks at Christmas.We even had a tern for a few months that she used to put in the bath and followed us around the house.But this is the first kitten I have really tired with.I really hope he hangs in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gillymuffins

Could the kitten be constipated?

The mother cat would usually lick the kittens back passage which helps them go to the toilet. I've looked after a litter myself from a week old and a vet told me to get a facecloth with a dab of warm water and rub the area.
    I wouldn't try force feeding the kitten. Sometimes they just can't get the hang of the bottle and if they're not that hungry they just wont bother taking it and go back to sleep. Every 3-4 hours should be more that enough time between feeds, because if you feed it too frequently it wont feel hunger.

I really hope the kitten makes it! I still have a cat from the litter I looked after and we are two peas in a pod. After all the hard work you've been putting in, I'm sure you both will be too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Why haven't you brought this kitten to a vet or an animal rescue as a stray and handed him over to people who know what they are doing?
    I've just read through this thread and really can't understand it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Why haven't you brought this kitten to a vet or an animal rescue as a stray and handed him over to people who know what they are doing?

If you've read the thread you will see that the OP said he/she can't afford to go to a vet and they've also phoned a local vet for advice and didn't get much help and contacted a local cat rescue group for advice and are waiting to hear back, the OP is doing a hell of a lot more than most people would do for a 2 week old kitten!

• Advertisement

Could the kitten be constipated?

The mother cat would usually lick the kittens back passage which helps them go to the toilet. I've looked after a litter myself from a week old and a vet told me to get a facecloth with a dab of warm water and rub the area.
    I wouldn't try force feeding the kitten. Sometimes they just can't get the hang of the bottle and if they're not that hungry they just wont bother taking it and go back to sleep. Every 3-4 hours should be more that enough time between feeds, because if you feed it too frequently it wont feel hunger.

I really hope the kitten makes it! I still have a cat from the litter I looked after and we are two peas in a pod. After all the hard work you've been putting in, I'm sure you both will be too!
    Hes not constipated, thats all fine.The problem is that he was feeding but over night hes stopped suckling and isn't waking to be fed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

To be fair to the OP there isn't much more that can be done for the kitten at a vets than what he/she is already doing. It would be very hard to get a kitten that size on a drip and the OP is already giving it round the clock care which is what it needs.

To be fair to the OP there isn't much more that can be done for the kitten at a vets than what he/she is already doing. It would be very hard to get a kitten that size on a drip and the OP is already giving it round the clock care which is what it needs.
    Thats pretty much what the vet I rang said:

"the kittens young,its been outside in the cold for more then 24hrs,feed it,keep it warm,there isn't much more I can do for you"
    He told me what food to get and that was it.It wasnt much but I could see where he was coming from too.

well I got a ml or two in him there and a few drops of the sugar water.Ill try again at 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gillymuffins

damagegt wrote: »
    Hes not constipated, thats all fine.The problem is that he was feeding but over night hes stopped suckling and isn't waking to be fed.

Don't panic, I'm sure you're doing all you can and the best for this kitten.

Kittens sleep alot anyway when they're young and need to be woken up to be fed sometimes. Reasons they sometimes wont eat can be from having a belly full of milk or an upset stomach.
    Try to establish routine with feeds, every 3 or 4 hours on the dot and wake him if you need to. Routine and set times can be very helpfull for his digestive system.
    The bottle needs to be sterilised before every feed otherwise it may cause an upset stomach and you can try rubbing it's belly gentley. You could also try giving him a small bit of boiled water cooled down as it might help.

I hope any of this helps OP and your kitty pulls through. It's a great thing you're doing and I wish you all the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    If you've read the thread you will see that the OP said he/she can't afford to go to a vet and they've also phoned a local vet for advice and didn't get much help and contacted a local cat rescue group for advice and are waiting to hear back, the OP is doing a hell of a lot more than most people would do for a 2 week old kitten!

I did read the thread, probably better than you read my post as nowhere in it have I suggested she pay for vet treatment. I did say the kitten should have been take immediately to a vet or animal sanctuary where they knew what they were doing and weren't asking for help on the internet to save a life.

As another poster said maybe there is nothing else that can be done for the kitten but he would be a lot better off with someone who knew what they were doing and had experience of doing it.
    The op can't afford vet treatment which is clearly what this kitten needs. The first step should have been finding help not deciding to do it alone.

Op I'm not trying to hurt your feelings, and I think it's a lovely thing you are trying to do but so many animals die because people try to do it themselves and threads like these encourage that.

Surely there's more than one cat sanctuary in your area that you can call?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I did read the thread, probably better than you read my post as nowhere in it have I suggested she pay for vet treatment. I did say the kitten should have been take immediately to a vet or animal sanctuary where they knew what they were doing and weren't asking for help on the internet to save a life.

You told her she should go to a vet but you don't suggest she pay for it?
    A vet is a business not a charity.
    At this time of year most cat rescues are inundated with stray kittens, it would be pretty hard to find someone to take in a weaned kitten let alone this case.

As another poster said maybe there is nothing else that can be done for the kitten but he would be a lot better off with someone who knew what they were doing and had experience of doing it.
    The op can't afford vet treatment which is clearly what this kitten needs. The first step should have been finding help not deciding to do it alone.

Op I'm not trying to hurt your feelings, and I think it's a lovely thing you are trying to do but so many animals die because people try to do it themselves and threads like these encourage that.

I have called the vet,I said what he told me,I have contacted 3 different sanctuary in the 48 or so hours I have the kitten NONE of them have gotten back to me.I did not decided to do this alone but this is the situation Im in.As new home said "when we rescue them and try and help them we don't do it because WE KNOW that it'll definitely work, we do it because if we don't do anything it DEFINITELY WILL NOT"Im doing all I can do and you picking holes in it doesn't help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

keep it close to your body.

NipNip wrote: »
    keep it close to your body.
    he lives in the collar of my top:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

You are doing all you can and more than some people would. Fingers crossed he makes it, but if he doesn't he goes knowing that someone cared.

He is gorgeous and if wishing alone keeps him here, then the good will of everyone on here counts. Praying for the little thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

Sitting on the edge of my chair waiting for updates - I really hope he makes it! You are doing the best for him that can be done, it's in his little paws to keep fighting!

damagegt wrote: »
    he lives in the collar of my top:D
    I don't think that will work....... :(

NipNip wrote: »
    I don't think that will work....... :(
    The tempeture royal cain says for a kitten his ages is 36.1–37.7 °C hes 37.C

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

NipNip, did you see the photos? The kitten is attached to his neck, which does qualify as his body...

skin to skin for dying babies

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Babies aren't furry...

yeah, the fur just maintains their temp.

kittens like....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭jimf

I dearly hope your efforts are rewarded with a friend for life good on you for trying to keep this little one alive
    I cant offer any more advice than whats offered already but if wishes keep it going then ye will get there im sure

How is our boards kitty?

Hes doing better.I kind of have set steps to feed him.He wont feed straight away when I wake him as hes crying.If I leave it to long he falls back asleep and I have to wake him again,he doesn't like that.He starts to search for a teat just before to falls asleep but he still wont use the bottle I'm back to a dropper.I did manage to get 3-4ml in on that feed so.........

if he's crying - that is everything!!! he's well fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭jimf

would a hot water bottle at night wrapped with a blanket help to maintain body temp

jimf wrote: »
    would a hot water bottle at night wrapped with a blanket help to maintain body temp
    the kitten is 2 weeks old. apart from probably scalding its skin, I can see no benefit in this. If the OP wishes to keep this little fella alive, it has to live in close contact with his temperature - skin to skin.

• Advertisement

jimf wrote: »
    I have a bottle that I have regulated the temperature of, wrapped in a small blanket covered with one of my tshirts in a cat box that I put him into when I have to do something but other then that hes with/on me all the time.

Advertisement