Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rescued 2 week old kitten

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭jimf

I mean wrap up the bottle not put the little guy directly on it

anytime I have had a poorly pup I always did this without scalding it

how do u propose the op keeps the kitten in close proximity to his/her body 24/7 and get a bit of sleep as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

jimf wrote: »

how do u propose the op keeps the kitten in close proximity to his/her body 24/7 and get a bit of sleep as well

the kitten will perk up or die within about 4 or 5 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

jimf wrote: »

Its been tough but hes been very a accommodating :)

the kitten is 2 weeks old, with no mother cat. It won't survive in a basket, with the best of treatment

LOL I'm loving your positive attitude

• Advertisement

damagegt wrote: »
    LOL I'm loving your positive attitude

My point is, that it needs your body temp to regulate its own - no matter what the other geniuses prescribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

NipNip wrote: »
    the kitten will perk up or die within about 4 or 5 hours.

This is a bit of a presumptuous thing to say without seeing the kitten itself. The OP is getting food into the kitten and keeping it warm. Babies sleep, a lot, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's dying. Literally all they do at that age is sleep, wake up to pee/poop, have a feed and go back to sleep. It's perfectly normal. This doesn't sound like a dying kitten to me at all, it's temperature is good, it's taking in some food (they have tiny tummies so they won't take any more than they need), no sign of fever, no diarrhoea. Unless there is some sort of birth defect going on then it shouldn't just die within 5 hours. A hot water bottle wrapped in a blanket is standard practice when raising neonates, though I would only have it covering half the box so if the little one gets too warm it can wriggle away. OP you are doing a great job and should be very proud of yourself! In saying that, things can and do go wrong but for now everything you are doing is perfect. With my ones, they never took to the bottle at all, it was constant syringe feedings. Day one (when they were 3 days) I was only getting a half a ml - 1ml into them, by day three they were taking 3-5mls per feed so the amounts your getting into him sound good. Keep going as you are, and know that all of us are praying for a good out come for the little guy :)

the kitten is not eating you fool.

Mod note: User banned for this comment, for referring to other posters as "do-gooders", "geniuses" etc etc. and for soap-boxing.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Well done damagegt, it sounds like you're doing an amazing job, the kitten is very lucky to have you. The photos are gorgeous, I really hope the little guy pulls through

Guys,please calm down.No need for name calling.

• Advertisement

the kitten is not eating you fool.
    .I did manage to get 3-4ml in on that feed

:rolleyes:

I don't care if I'm forum banned. The kitten is not eating or drinking and it is two weeks old. It is too tiny for a red lamp. The OP can't afford a vet to administer IV fluids. The best (with respect to every reading do-gooder) that that OP can do, is to put the kitten on his naked chest and try to spoon water + salts/sugars into the kitten.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Always wanted this kitten to survive despite feeling it probably wouldnt make it.
    Rooting for it all the more now.

if I had a cat question on this forum one of the first people I would ask advice from is silly mongo she has forgotten more about cats than most of us here will ever learn

so as far as im concerned she is the go to person on here about all things cat/kitten

I don't care if I'm forum banned. The kitten is not eating or drinking and it is two weeks old. It is too tiny for a red lamp. The OP can't afford a vet to administer IV fluids. The best (with respect to every reading do-gooder) that that OP can do, is to put the kitten on his naked chest and try to spoon water + salts/sugars into the kitten.

The kitten is eating though, it may not be suckling but the OP is getting feeds into it. Some kittens, especially those older than a day or 2 would find it hard to go to sucking from a bottle/syringe especially after it was feeding from the mother at first. A hot water bottle is a perfect way of maintaining temperature when the OP can't have the kitten against them. They already said the temp is 37 degrees which is perfect, it's not hypothermic so it doesn't need to be heated up as such, just maintained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

The kitten is eating enough to gain weight and her temperature was fine. He can't just duct tape the thing to him all of the time. Sometimes the kitten will have to be put down and the hot water bottle will do for that time.

I have jimmied up a slingmagig while I'm making dinner he seems to enjoy it,I can feel him purring away.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

damagegt - Kitty minder of the year award goes to you :) well done coming this far and well done SillyMangoX for the expertise! It's great to have someone on here who knows their stuff :D

Keep up the good work peeps, and damagegt - more pics please so I can goo over the little cutie :)

damagegt wrote: »
    I have jimmied up a slingmagig while I'm making dinner he seems to enjoy it,I can feel him purring away.

Those tiny adorable kitten purrs is why I currently have a big monster sleeping on my arm, they are just irresistible :P

and I have 1 feckin around at my feet wanting every ones dinner and his own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I've reared lots of kittens from a few days old. Sillymango gave great advice.

Important points are

Never feed a cold kitten. The hot water bottles well wrapped up are fine

You can check his skin and see if it springs back into position by pinching it gently. Skin that stays all wrinkled means dehydration. His mouth & gums will feel sticky. You can make up dioralyte if needed.

He will need to be wormed with a gentle wormer such as parazole if he recovers from this setback. A heavy worm burden can be a cause of kittens fading. Also check for flea infestation which can cause anemia & the kitten would be sleep & not have the energy to feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

OP, I take my hat off to you, you are doing such a selfless job of minding this little dote and kindly involving us along the way when you could probably use the time better to catch a few zzzzs! Baby animals bring out strong emotions in most of us so be patient, if you can, with those of us who find it hard to keep our feelings in check. You sought advice from the professionals and the experienced and didn't get a lot as there isn't much more to tell you other than what you have found out for yourself and what you instinctively knew to try. I never got my orphan babies to drink from the bottle either, it was syringe feeding all the way, then from a teaspoon when they took a little baby food..........and then they were off! Couldn't fill em and couldn't stop em! We worry ourselves sick that we're doing the wrong things because we're not mother cats and it doesn't come naturally to us. But if you've ever watched a mother cat with her kittens you'd have to wonder if ANY of them could survive with the fairly tough love she administers betimes.

In a nutshell, you're doing fine and you're doing everything and a great deal more than would probably happen if you handed it in somewhere. No need to elaborate on that but you can imagine what I mean. In your heart, you know that it's tough going and things can go wrong so the more knowledgeable advice offered so far is wise to follow; don't force feed, nothing good will come of it, keep it warm (your collar seems a great place for now!) and watch as carefully as you can. You're doing great and it says a lot about you, I just wish there were more like you out there! I'm keeping fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you both.......not great for driving but never mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Oh my god thats a cute little kitten..... Come on BUDDY!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I'm looking at my own 8 year old snoozing in the sun here, I had her on the chest for about a week when I got her from a pet sanctuary trying to keep her warm.......

She still creeps up in the morning for a chat and a purrrrrr, same place!!

I'm rooting for the little fella xxx :) You're doing a great job!! xxx

Hes all tired out now,fast asleep purring away.Ill get some more pictures up soon as charge my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Are you going to keep him if all goes accordingly to plan?
    I need to know, it's such a nice story

Sure am.Iv already built him a scratching post/bed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I'm so happy you will keep him d, I'm so hoping the little lad will pull through, will we get an invite to the christening or have an input for his name?? :)....I know it's a little bit putting the cart before the horse but, hopefully, we can look forward to happy days with the little fella!

make sure of the sex before u pick a name and don't be like us we had Minnie for a good while until she turned to tom if you follow my drift very knowledgeable around here about cats as you can see

• Advertisement

How is the kitten?

Advertisement