Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland world's most "meh" country?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

I feel like crying reading the OP's first post! MEH?

MEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH?

Are you for real?
    We renowned around the world for Amazing people, scenry, food, culture, accents, tea and the list goes on. I'm in love with my country and I'm genuinely proud as you should be too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

In Exile wrote: »
    I used to hate Dublin (as everyone outside of the place does!)

I hate this generalisation. I grew up in the rural west of Ireland and always loved Dublin. Couldn't wait to move there.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭nala_rinaldo

ireland is average but so is your bigmac if that’s all you eat every day. go travel to other countries if money allow you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Travelling outside of Ireland has actually made me appreciate it so much more. We have such a laid back, pleasant way of life here. The people are totally unique, genuinely witty and warm with great conversational skills that you really would be hard pushed to find elsewhere. The landscape is stunning (just because youre so used to looking at it from living here, doesn't mean it's not one of the most beautiful landscapes in the world). It's not a perfect country, but nowhere is, and you're going to he disappointed if you think that anywhere is a pillar of perfection (I'm actually surprised the supposed "paradises" of Sweden, Norway and Denmark haven't been mentioned yet, too busy licking the arse of Germany I suppose!). While we definitely have things to work on, we are well above average on several levels.

Some people will just whinge no matter what though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

cson wrote: »
    SXF for instance which is rather ironically one of the worst airports I've ever been in considering its Germany's capital airport

+1. You have to see it to believe it. A total shambles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

OP doesn't understand that "average" does not mean bad so it's impossible then to be the most "meh" country as it means it's above all the non-average ones.

Also, the list was complete rubbish anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Tarzana wrote: »
    I hate this generalisation. I grew up in the rural west of Ireland and always loved Dublin. Couldn't wait to move there.

Even Corkonians don't hate Dublin, they just have an issue when the second city is referred to rather ignorantly as "down the country" usually by people who also never go anywhere other than the local shopping centre or Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,162 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Travelling outside of Ireland has actually made me appreciate it so much more. We have such a laid back, pleasant way of life here. The people are totally unique, genuinely witty and warm with great conversational skills that you really would be hard pushed to find elsewhere. The landscape is stunning (just because youre so used to looking at it from living here, doesn't mean it's not one of the most beautiful landscapes in the world). It's not a perfect country, but nowhere is, and you're going to he disappointed if you think that anywhere is a pillar of perfection (I'm actually surprised the supposed "paradises" of Sweden, Norway and Denmark haven't been mentioned yet, too busy licking the arse of Germany I suppose!). While we definitely have things to work on, we are well above average on several levels.

Some people will just whinge no matter what though.

"Too busy licking the arse of Germany..."? Sweet Jebus....

The reason no one has mentioned Scandanavia is because the scenery in Norway in Sweden can;t compete iwth Ireland's "stunning" vistas/

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭johnnyruane40

The most "Meh" country in the world would have to be the USA. In 90% of the country if you don't have a car you can't really do anything!!! plus many American cities outside the traditional touristy new york, san francisco, LA, Vegas etc. lack a vibrant culture, a good nightlife, color, street life!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Accountability - Worst in world.

• Advertisement

The reason no one has mentioned Scandanavia is because the scenery in Norway in Sweden can;t compete iwth Ireland's "stunning" vistas/

Have you been? Norway is stunning. Pity its so expensive. Sweden has amazing scenery too.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Whats so bad about meh? Im just happy to live in a country where its citizens lives are valued and our rights respected

Wake up, that's not Ireland. It should be but it isn't. For example was it right to take on private banking debt as your national debt? 60 Billion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

AH Threads? Meh

I think you mean kermit.de.frog threads - average.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The most "Meh" country in the world would have to be the USA. In 90% of the country if you don't have a car you can't really do anything!!! plus many American cities outside the traditional touristy new york, san francisco, LA, Vegas etc. lack a vibrant culture, a good nightlife, color, street life!!!

Really? Ever been to Newport, Rhode Island? Mystic, Connecticuit? Pretty much half of upstate New York (looks a lot like Ireland), Cape Cod, Massachusetts? Baton Rouge, Louisiana? Sedona, Arizona?

And that's without mentioning the likes of Boston, New York, Chicago and San Francisco.

And those are just some off the top of my head that I've been to.

Without a car in most places with actual vibrant culture, you'd struggle. Would you say the same about Sydney? It's one of the largest Urban sprawls on the planet, there's parts you'd need a car to get to. Or do you mean that American cities have crappy Public Transport and that makes it tough or what?

I've heard Portland, Oregon has one of the best public transport system of anywhere in the world in terms of ease of use and access. Obviously the likes of Boston, New York, Los Angeles etc. all have subways and buses..

Honestly, in my opinion. The best places to go in any country require a car. They are the off the beaten track places. When I hear people going over to Ireland and not leaving Dublin, I wince a little. There's so much cool sh1t to see around the country

• Registered Users Posts: 33,162 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Birroc wrote: »
    Have you been? Norway is stunning. Pity its so expensive. Sweden has amazing scenery too.

Many times - the responce was meant to be tongue-in-cheek to the poster I was replying to.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

My point was meant in response to this grass is always greener notion. Scandinavia is frequently held up as an example of a perfect place to live and while I'm sure it's very nice there, my point is that nowhere is perfect. Not even Scandinavia or Germany. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Even Corkonians don't hate Dublin, they just have an issue when the second city is referred to rather ignorantly as "down the country" usually by people who also never go anywhere other than the local shopping centre or Spain.

I say 'down the country' and I'm from, well, down the country. I always said it, and never considered it derogatory. Seems to be that only a chippy person would be offended by that.

germany is a power obsessed country. they boss the european union because they made european union. and they make all the global wars. that is probably why england does not want to be in eu, and switzerland is not in eu because that’s where all the profit from stolen stuff from wars is, they don’t wanna share. that’s all the truth to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In Exile wrote: »
    To being, The UK is not a country

It's a figment of the imagination. It doesn't exist.

Oh wait it does and I stopped reading from there.

ireland is boring though. i am bored most of the time here. even the name of this forum is boards

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ireland is as boring or exciting as you make it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

philstar wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ireland is as boring or exciting as you make it

Correct-and-right. If you're like a wet Tuesday in Buttevant with no money, then so it wherever you are! :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

If your definition of average is not the best, not the worst, somewhere in the 98% in between then maybe you have a point.

weather - far from average, we have a mild climate with lots of rain. Most of the world would kill to live in a country like that, albeit they probably wouldnt want to go there on their holidays.
    scenery - beautiful
    Dublin - great for a medium sized city - just because were not as big as london paris or new york or have the history of damascus or jerusalem doesnt make it abn average city.
    women (also men to avoid offence) - i actually dont understand how a body of people could be average. Mathematically and figuratively.
    soccer team - poor, but good rugby teams
    built environment - ???
    wages - youve got to be kidding me - we have one of the highest average industrial wages in the world
    taxes - very hard to compare taxes across different systems
    murder rate - well below the average
    traffic accidents - how on earth can this possibly be measured?
    internet speed/access - poor generally, outside dublin
    roads - ok the road system could be considered average
    public transport - very poor
    education system - very good
    police - one of the best in the world
    corruption - higher than average for eu, lower than average for the whole world

Is it possible that you are suffering from depression and as a result everything you see and do seems average? Id stro gly recommend discussing this with your GP

we have excellent internet here, 10mb per second real life download, if server is that fast. it’s not all about internet provider, it’s also internet itself, the server speeds. if server speeds of internet is slow, the fastest internet provider is not going to make it faster. it’s everything, computer speed, internet provider speed, internet server speeds. so
    and it is unlimited, which is also a good thing.
    in comparison to what it used to be 5kb per second with phone dialup connection limited internet, it’s excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

Personally I find the culture very meh as there's not much to it other than drinking and sport and cringeworthy levels of national pride not found in more mature societies. Irish people like to think we're a literary folk, but most people can't write a grammatical sentence.

The weather is definitely meh.

My main gripe is the scenery. Some may like the fields, but I think humankind has destroyed the landscape of the island to the extent that the only things natural about it are the coastal features (which every other country with a coast have too) and a few hills.

Where are the natural deciduous forests? Cut down and never replanted. We've practically no autumn color as a result. The mountains, which were once all forested - peaks and all - are peaty and bare thanks to Irish antipathy to trees. This antipathy is very evident in Irish cities and towns as well. Very few mature trees in any town or city.

If a German has a tree with a problem branch, the German will remove the branch. The Irishman will fell the tree.

I also think Ireland is damaged environmentally and economically by one-off houses.

I don't hate Ireland. But I think it could be so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

Pro's:

Great scenery & history
    Amazing food- maybe the best in the world.
    Very high standard of accommodation ie. hotels
    Great outdoor activities
    Friendly people
    Laid back relaxed lifestyle
    A very equal society. It is possible for people to better themselves through education if they choose to.

Con's:

The clouds. They block out the sun and we are such a sun deprived nation.

A lot of obesity especially among women.
    If someone is successful, instead of congratulating them, they like to take them down a peg.

ireland is also meh for making friends. to make friends here is meh. people here don’t make friends.

ireland is also meh for making friends. to make friends here is meh. people here don’t make friends.

Can I be your friend? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

hahah I love how blunt that is.

So blunt, it got a red card

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Jamsiek wrote: »
    So blunt, it got a red card

So slow it took you 2 months to reply

Advertisement