Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland world's most "meh" country?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Out of the 15 countries that Kermit knows, thats about average.

That's crazy talk... hasn't he heard the song?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭briany

I wouldn't say Ireland is a 'meh' country, but it's quite mild. The weather is mild, the animals are mild, and the people are mild (laid-back - mostly).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Size is no excuse. Iceland is 10 times smaller than Ireland in population but look at their scenery and offering which is far superior to Ireland.
    You're linking population to scenery? You wouldn't happen to be talking shíte now, would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Ireland is above average in many things

• Registered Users Posts: 23,605 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ireland is one of the top countries in the world for scenery.

Evidence? You must have some survey of tourists handy.

I'm not saying Ireland does not have nice scenery. Of course it does. It has some spectacular scenery but most of Ireland's scenery is on a small scale and most of Ireland is not noteworthy in terms of scenery compared to many other countries. "Human scale" as it was put earlier but that's a downside in my opinion.

You look at any tourism survey - what is the first thing on it they always say?

"The friendliness"

Code for "unimpressed but we don't want to insult you"

Patww79 wrote: »
    Depends what you like. I know people who came here from Brazil, South Africa, Chile and China. They think the irish scenery is amazing. If you look at the Andes every day, they get boring. Loads of countries have mountains, they get boring after a while and you don't even notice them. Some countries are flat and featureless.
    Although, scenery wise, whatever ireland has, scotland usually does it better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    You're linking population to scenery? You wouldn't happen to be talking shíte now, would you?

You have an inflated sense of what Ireland has to offer which in reality is not much especially, as has been recommended already, when you go to other countries just around Europe never mind the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I don't know but my gut says maybe.

I hope Failte Ireland don't suffer the same delusion as some on here when it comes to what we have to offer to tourists!

Other things should make up for boring scenery. Spectacular buildings and beautiful cities but alas we don't even have that. We don't even have proper public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

drumswan wrote: »
    Im sure he's over to Iceland every other weekend

Sucking up volcano dust and having the craic freezing his bollix off in pitch black weather. With pints for 700 euro, getting down in world famous Icelandic pubs, bathing himself in the warm glow of Icelandic humour, music and theatre and that.

Lucky lad.

You have an inflated sense of what Ireland has to offer which in reality is not much especially, as has been recommended already, when you go to other countries just around Europe never mind the world.
    No, you simply said "Iceland is 10 times smaller than Ireland in population but look at their scenery". I was just pointing out that the statement is búllshíte. You might as well have said "more icelandic men have beards, but look at their fishing fleet". Meaningless.
    If you think any country is boring and has nothing to do, that tells me that you're a boring person.

Cienciano wrote: »
    No, you simply said "Iceland is 10 times smaller than Ireland in population but look at their scenery".

Eh, no I didn't. What I actually said, had you bothered to read, was look what they have to offer - scenery is separate.

Good day to you sir.

I hope Failte Ireland don't suffer the same delusion as some on here when it comes to what we have to offer to tourists!

Other things should make up for boring scenery. Spectacular buildings and beautiful cities but alas we don't even have that. We don't even have proper public transport.

Fortunately most people don't share your view of the scenery, I can tell you that anyone i've had over to Ireland with me from South America is still giving it millions about the people, the fun and yes...the scenery.

As far as public transport is concerned I'm not really sure what your expectation is for a small sparcely populated country of 5m with most of the population concentrated in a few cities.

Where you hoping for a monorail from Offaly to Longford ? Intercity flights from Westport to Donegal? Get real, like.

What you lack in perspective you certainly have made up for in seething, swirling, black miserable loathing of Ireland. Maybe try and balance the two out.

I am pie wrote: »
    Get real, like.

Dublin - only capital city in Europe without a rail link to it's airport which is also the airport the vast majority of visitors come in to Ireland through. That would be a start. It's not asking too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Rezident

Dublin is certainly not average! It's either one of the most rip-off kips full of junkies on the planet or it's great craic but it's never average.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

Dublin - only capital city in Europe without a rail link to it's airport which is also the airport the vast majority of visitors come in to Ireland through. That would be a start. It's not asking too much.

But seemly it is asking to much:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Meh?

weather - average exceptionally mild temperate oceanic, not many place have that.
    scenery - average spectacular
    Dublin - average
    women (also men to avoid offence) - average varies
    soccer team - average
    built environment - average
    wages - average higher than about 90% of the world (strange average you have)
    taxes - average actually quite high when you include VAT and social charges.
    men - average speak for yourself!
    things to do - average depends on your imagination
    things to see - average see above
    the people - average highly subjective, but I think they're pretty friendly.
    murder rate - average extremely low by international standards.
    traffic accidents - average one of the top 10 safest places to drive in the world actually, despite the rhetoric.
    internet speed/access - average
    roads - average for size of the country / population it has an impressive motorway network actually.
    public transport - average below average in terms of density in urban areas.
    education system - average attains higher than average and it's also a bit weird in terms of how it runs so not anything like average really.
    police - average Highly unusual in so far as they're unarmed mostly.
    corruption - average Actually low by international standards amazingly enough. You wouldn't want to live in a country with high corruption!
    ...on and on

Ireland is so average. And we can only call it average if we include all third world countries.:mad:

Is there anything about Ireland that anyone can say is better than elsewhere? Above average?

Question: did you bench mark it against an imaginary country or just use figures (to quote Anglo execs) that you plucked out of your ....

?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm goign to guess without reading that the responces have been that "Ireland is the most amazing place in the universe and you're a boring git for even asking such a question" and "well if you don;t like it, **** off".

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

I love transiting through DUB.

It's only when you go elsewhere in the World (SXF for instance which is rather ironically one of the worst airports I've ever been in considering its Germany's capital airport) you realise how good we have it at home tbh. You'll be in the Airport from the City Centre in 45mins at worst with the 747 and typically 25mins in my experience. Try doing that in London.

When you get out there its simple to navigate; 5 mins from the bus and you can be queuing at security. No messing about with trains to various terminals. Free wifi when you're waiting and an actual decent selection of shops.

I ****ing love Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

cson wrote: »
    I love transiting through DUB.

It's only when you go elsewhere in the World (SXF for instance which is rather ironically one of the worst airports I've ever been in considering its Germany's capital airport) you realise how good we have it at home tbh. You'll be in the Airport from the City Centre in 45mins at worst with the 747 and typically 25mins in my experience. Try doing that in London.

When you get out there its simple to navigate; 5 mins from the bus and you can be queuing at security. No messing about with trains to various terminals. Free wifi when you're waiting and an actual decent selection of shops.

I ****ing love Dublin Airport.

SXF to Berlin is about the same time (EDIT - 28 mins from airport to Alexanderplatz) and cost as DUB to Dublin.

However, Berlin's second airport, Tegel, has no rail link (although it'll be closing in a few years).

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

That's a fairly specific example, based on Dublin which only shows your limited perspective.

Again, you are talking about a small country of 5 million people here.

Next time you go to Lisbon, enjoy the magical train ride to the city centre, which...err, doesn't exist. Doesnt mean Portugal is "meh" of course, it would be silly to say that.

Train from Edinburgh airport? Nope. Bus then train.

Buenos Aires? Rio? Sao Paulo? Trains...from airports? Nope Nope Nope. Are these countries "meh" too?

Give it up. Catch as grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

It was St. Patrick that saved this land from mediocrity.

catallus wrote: »

His festival has been a major PR boost for the Irish hospitality industry. I believe he is responsible for introducing marketing and event management to Ireland in the late 1970s was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I am pie wrote: »
    His festival has been a major PR boost for the Irish hospitality industry. I believe he is responsible for introducing marketing and event management to Ireland in the late 1970s was it?

As well as bringing the good news, yes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

catallus wrote: »

i thought it was bishop casey...till he dipped his wick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Reykjavik and Lisbon both spring to mind.

Advertisement