Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland world's most "meh" country?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I am pie wrote: »
    Sucking up volcano dust and having the craic freezing his bollix off in pitch black weather. With pints for 700 euro, getting down in world famous Icelandic pubs, bathing himself in the warm glow of Icelandic humour, music and theatre and that.

Lucky lad.

Ah now, be nice about Iceland! It's actually *remarkably* like Ireland in many respects (at least the coastal areas are.. centre's a bit mad!)

It reminds me of Donegal or the Burren on steroids.

They also have insane Donegal-style boy racers tearing up the streets of small towns and pulling donuts

They're good craic, they don't take themselves that seriously, they have Bjork and the beer's not THAT expensive. You can get a pint for <€5.00

Also, nobody else has Sheep Sh1t Smoked Beer! (Really, nobody has.. and there's a good reason for that too!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

catallus wrote: »
    As well as bringing the good news, yes :)

The good news being that there'd be a bank holiday every year and that we'd be able to laugh at the americans dying their rivers and beers green in an attempt to irish themselves up.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

weather - average no natural disasters
    scenery - average world class
    Dublin - average consistently voted one of the best cities in the world to live
    women (also men to avoid offence) - average independent, down to earth, good looking, red heads
    soccer team - average poor but great fans and banter
    built environment - average safe and modern
    wages - average one of the highest living standards in the world
    taxes - average progressive
    men - average notorious charmers
    things to do - average things being with S, sailing, surfing, scuba diving,
    things to see - average tourism numbers testiment to whats on offer
    the people - average funny, unique, intelligent, friendly
    murder rate - average above average, Dublin in isolation has a high murder rate by EU standards
    traffic accidents - average have you ever been outside of Europe?
    internet speed/access - average
    roads - average
    public transport - average
    education system - average
    police - average soft touch policing suits our culture
    corruption - average

all my opinions anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Greenduck wrote: »
    The absolute soundness of people in general. I have yet to visit a country in the world were the people are friendlier ,funnier or more down to earth. Considering most of the other things about our country are average I'd say that we excel in the soundness stakes.

This/

- Went to the car dealership today. The receptionist, the parts guy, the fitter and Mr Charlie Big Potatoes himself all called me by my first name. I ain't buying a car and I only go there once a year.

- A year or so back I saw a young woman who seemed to be stuggling a bit with the jockey wheel of a trailer. I took my life in my hands and asked if she wanted a hand. Any other place I've lived I'd have got a big Feck Off - instead "No you're grand it's just a bit tricky."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,606 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I am pie wrote: »
    That's a fairly specific example, based on Dublin which only shows your limited perspective.

Dublin Airport first and last sight for 85% of tourists.

Again, you are talking about a small country of 5 million people here.

So?

Next time you go to Lisbon, enjoy the magical train ride to the city centre, which...err, doesn't exist. Doesnt mean Portugal is "meh" of course, it would be silly to say that.

Ok. Does not mean we should be equally deprived.
    Train from Edinburgh airport? Nope. Bus then train.

London is the capital of the UK.

Buenos Aires? Rio? Sao Paulo? Trains...from airports? Nope Nope Nope. Are these countries "meh" too?

Irrelevant, outside Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Actually OP, we're not average at all. We're the goodest country in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

It's obvious Kermit hasn't travelled.

Toronto Airport to city - Nightmare
    LA - OMG it's hell on earth getting in/out and even around that place
    NY and Chicago - rail journeys longer than the airport bus link of Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

After you do your leaving cert you can head off and see the world.

By the way, Ive been there, its a disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 stringofmisery

Quality and variety of food-well above average...best in the world as far as i'm concerned.

drumswan wrote: »
    After you do your leaving cert you can head off and see the world.

By the way, Ive been there, its a disappointment.

I would be very confident I have been to more countries and cities around the world then you have. I am very well placed to comment on Ireland in comparison to other countries.

People don't want to hear it but Ireland does not offer that much in comparison to a lot of other countries. The only way to improve that is to act on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Ireland and road signs = absolutely terrible, not even a meh.

Maybe there are decent and accurate road signs within the pale.........but down the country it's a joke.

I tried to get to a certain place in Kilkenny last week. My starting point was in County Clare.

The motorway was fine...so to speak.....but there were no signs for Kilkenny.

In desperation we left the motorway at Portlaoise to buy a map.

We did get onto the road to Kilkenny.....

And eventually to our destination.

It was a nightmare..........how do tourists manage?

I would be very confident I have been to more countries and cities around the world then you have. I am very well placed to comment on Ireland in comparison to other countries.

People don't want to hear it but Ireland does not offer that much in comparison to a lot of other countries. The only way to improve that is to act on it.

But clearly in your opinion our landscape is awful, the people are awful so apart from building a huge Disneyland there's very little we can change.

I never said the people were awful. I don't buy the friendliness thing though.

Never said the landscape was awful either.

Ireland has a beautiful landscape in so many counties. On a sunny day ......and we do get days like that.....there's no place that beat the ould sod.

I never said the people were awful. I don't buy the friendliness thing though.

Never said the landscape was awful either.

Average. Let's be honest you dislike the place so unless Ireland converts into an entirely different country you won't like it here

I don't buy the friendliness thing though.

Depends on the county. I do buy it though.

I'm not from Clare, just live there.......but they are a very friendly bunch of people in general.

Just my opinion.

I never said the people were awful. I don't buy the friendliness thing though.QUOTE]

Well I do buy the friendly thing, in mainland Europe people are nowhere near as friendly and I call BS if you claim they are.

Canada people are very polite but not what I would consider friendly, even the Americans though less polite are more friendly in my experience. The friendliest people I have met are the country folk of Peru.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Whats so bad about meh? Im just happy to live in a country where its citizens lives are valued and our rights respected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Dublin Airport first and last sight for 85% of tourists.

So?

Ok. Does not mean we should be equally deprived.

'Is Ireland the worlds most meh country ?''

Then you say anything outside of Europe isn't relavent.

Will ya stop the lights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Aineoil wrote: »
    Ireland and road signs = absolutely terrible, not even a meh.

Maybe there are decent and accurate road signs within the pale.........but down the country it's a joke.

I tried to get to a certain place in Kilkenny last week. My starting point was in County Clare.

The motorway was fine...so to speak.....but there were no signs for Kilkenny.

In desperation we left the motorway at Portlaoise to buy a map.

We did get onto the road to Kilkenny.....

And eventually to our destination.

It was a nightmare..........how do tourists manage?
    They use GPS

• Advertisement

Irish people who live in the internet - average VERY grumpy about everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Germany is more exciting than Ireland. Yeah the people lack humor but there is far more to do and see in Germany and other continental countries than here. But then Germany is a proper well run place whereas Ireland is, well, not.

Will people on boards.ie get off Germany's dick already. :pac:

Lacking humour? That sounds pretty awful actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭thomil

Dublin - only capital city in Europe without a rail link to it's airport which is also the airport the vast majority of visitors come in to Ireland through. That would be a start. It's not asking too much.

I think Prague, Lisbon, Bratislava, Berlin (Tegel is still the main Airport until they get that godawful mess at SXF/BER sorted out), Zagreb, and Ljubljana to name but a few would tend to disagree. Now, if you want to say that the landside access and the general layout of the terminal area are a mess, then I agree with you, but lack of rail access is not really that unusual.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

thomil wrote: »
    I think Prague, Lisbon, Bratislava, Berlin (Tegel is still the main Airport until they get that godawful mess at SXF/BER sorted out), Zagreb, and Ljubljana to name but a few would tend to disagree. Now, if you want to say that the landside access and the general layout of the terminal area are a mess, then I agree with you, but lack of rail access is not really that unusual.
    With most of those cities you listed air travel isn't as crucial for visitors entering the country. Decent road and rail links most of the continent. Not possible for travellers to Ireland as the vast majority will enter by air.

I read recently that Dublin-London is the second busiest international air route, that stat alone should be cause for putting a rail link in. Tourists and business travellers will spend less time sitting on dirty buses/taxis stuck in traffic and more time and money seeing Dublin and the rest of the country

The busses aren't any dirtier than the train would be.
    They seem quite nice tbh.

Ever taken the RER-B from Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris?
    Now there's an ugly entrance to one of the world's most beautiful cities! Last time I was on it it was full of drunks and smelled of urine, wrecked with graffiti ... good thing I'm not one to base my entire impressions of a whole country on the airport to city public transport links.

Signage in CDG is confusing, the railway station's kinda crumbling, the ticket machines didn't work very well and were refusing every US non-chip card for example.

If you come into London you get the Heathrow Express and feel like you've just been robbed! It's about over 30 Euro one way! Snazzy and all as it looks, you literally feel like you've just paid WAY too much for a 15 min train journey.

Brussels airport has a rail link, but most of the time the Number 21 bus is FAR preferable to the train and it transports most of the Eurocrats between the airport and the commission.

You'll find most passengers probably don't care if it's a bus or a train as long as it works and is clean and comfortable. A lot of European airport rail links actually lack luggage space too which is crazy stuff.

The other thing I'd add is a very large % of tourism to Ireland that goes beyond Dublin is self-drive hire cars anyway. A much higher % than say trips to big European cities would be.

You can't really visit a country like Ireland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, New Zealand, Scotland, Western France etc by public transport. You have to drive to see the place. It's just how it is.
    You wouldn't go to Canada and take the train either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

catallus wrote: »
    Isn't this the opposite of being hyperbolic?!

Hyperbolics!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,you opinion is meaningless since Ireland is officially the 'Goodest' country on Earth.

http://www.goodcountry.org/overall

Phonehead wrote: »
    Scenary Average??????? are you having a laugh? The secenary is amazing and all within a few hours drive! the problem is that Irish people don't bother seeing their own country.

I certainly don't think Ireland is average, so I don't agree wih the OP, but the knee-jerk 'our scenery is some of the best in the world' is nonsense. It's just total nonsense.

Yes there is some fantastic scenery in the west, but there's fantastic scenery in one form or another in almost every country in the world. And also like any other country in the world, a lot of irish scenery isn't so special. An awful lot of Ireland is bungalow-pocked nondescript farmland.

Take almost any other country in Europe and you'll find scenery equally impressive. Or do people think Scotland, Norway, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Poland etc are all flat fields of nothing?

You could argue the scenery in north wales a 2 hour ferry ride away is better than anything here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 LOEF

Had this convo loads of times, Ireland is average, everything in Ireland is average, even our poor and rich are average in world terms. Rejoice and revel in the averageness though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

These two quotes just go to show you are trolling for an argument but for some reason I feel like giving my 2 cents worth and I'll deal with these two quotes first.
    To being, The UK is not a country. And secondly, you say it's irrelevant if outside Europe, yet your OP you talk about the World?

I'm living in Melbourne nearly 4 years. We have no rail link to the airport.
    Last financial year we had 31 million people go through the airport, with a total of over 218,000 flights.
    Onluy way to directly access the airport from the city is taxi or bus (which doesn't even connect to the public transport system and requires a seperate ticket).

JFK is such a nightmare too that it is suggested to get a cab instead of bus/train as it is easier and doesn't cost too much extra.

I've been back home twice since I left and every time I have spent 3-4 days travelling the country being a tourist. The amount to do and see is unbelievable. Even at home in Limerick, where I always taught there was nothing to do.

I've never seen half of what I wanted to see, anywhere I have went, because there is so much to see and do, it's impossible to do everything.

The saying "the grass is always greener...." certainly rings true for people at home. And I was in the same boat when I was there. Never thought there was anything to do.

I would suggest everyone does a day trip to a different city and look at it in a different way. Don't look at it from an Irish point of view, look at it from a visitors. I used to hate Dublin (as everyone outside of the place does!) but I love going up there for a day or two.

Our history is fantastic but it is a great shame more people don't appreciate what we have on our own shores. When you come to a place like Australia you realise the lack of visual history.There are no such things as castles here. Last time at home we started in Limerick and we did Craggaunowen Medieval village, Bunratty Folk Park, Aillwee Caves, The Burren and back down the coast road, stopping at the Cliffs of Moher before driving into Doonbeg for a seafood dinner, a walk around the grounds of the golf coarse and onto Kilkee to stay the night.

Following morning we drove to loop head via the coast road, back into Kilrush and caught the ferry across the bay at 8am. Into Tralee via Ballybunion and drove the coast road the to Dingle. Had lunch overlooking the docks and then onto Killarney and did Muckross House, National Park and Torc Waterfall before driving back to Limerick.

We fit a weeks worth of activities into 2 days and were bloody exhausted and missed out on half the things to do.

I always remember one of my first weekends here, when the girlfriends Uncle took us for a drive around to "old" place. We drove into the middle of nowhere and he points to a church and said "this is one of the oldest churches in Victoria, it's over 100 years old". I didn't want to point out that there was problem 10 older and bigger versions still in use within a few miles of my house in Ireland.

I now look forward to coming home to do the Galway Christmas Market, a number of historical sites in Dublin I haven't done since primary school and the Titanic museum in Belfast.

This "meh" mentality to me signifies you need to travel a little. To use another saying "Absence makes the heart grow fonder". I love it here in Australia. It is a brilliant place to live. Individual countries will do some things better than others. But for culture, history, views, food and people all rolled into the one? Nothing and nowhere can match Ireland for that

Advertisement