Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland world's most "meh" country?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Valetta wrote: »
    We have Offaly.

As far as I know, no other country can claim that.

Would they want to claim that? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Germany is more exciting than Ireland. Yeah the people lack humor but there is far more to do and see in Germany and other continental countries than here. But then Germany is a proper well run place whereas Ireland is, well, not.

Scenery - some places are nice. Still average though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

OP is a spastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    Limerick gave itself a bad name you can't blame the rest of Ireland for that

Thank you for proving my point

drumswan wrote: »
    OP is a spastic

hahah I love how blunt that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Your face is average. So there!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Germany is more exciting than Ireland. Yeah the people lack humor but there is far more to do and see in Germany and other continental countries than here. But then Germany is a proper well run place whereas Ireland is, well, not.

You mean a country that's 5 times the size and 18 times the population of ireland has more to see and do? I just don't believe that, it's just not possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

the intelligence level on this thread is heading waaaay below average!!!!

Cienciano wrote: »
    You mean a country that's 5 times the size and 18 times the population of ireland has more to see and do? I just don't believe that, it's just not possible

Size is no excuse. Iceland is 10 times smaller than Ireland in population but look at their scenery and offering which is far superior to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Size is no excuse. Iceland is 10 times smaller than Ireland in population but look at their scenery and offering which is far superior to Ireland.

What things are there to do in Iceland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Meh?

weather - average
    scenery - average
    Dublin - average
    women (also men to avoid offence) - average
    soccer team - average
    built environment - average
    wages - average
    taxes - average
    men - average
    things to do - average
    things to see - average
    the people - average
    murder rate - average
    traffic accidents - average
    internet speed/access - average
    roads - average
    public transport - average
    education system - average
    police - average
    corruption - average
    ...on and on

Ireland is so average. And we can only call it average if we include all third world countries.:mad:

Is there anything about Ireland that anyone can say is better than elsewhere? Above average?
    I have done a fair bit of travelling op and i would put Ireland above all other country's iv been too. however i would agree with internet speeds, roads and public transport : ) there a sham to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

At least Iceland jailed their bankers!

What things are there to do in Iceland?

You can look at volcanoes, geysers, huge waterfalls and cliffs, spectacular mountains - they have occasional earthquakes and ferocious weather. Lots to see and do. > than the Ring of Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

... > than the Ring of Kerry.

...on a FireBlade?? ;)

You can look at volcanoes, geysers, huge waterfalls and cliffs, spectacular mountains - they have occasional earthquakes and ferocious weather. Lots to see and do. > than the Ring of Kerry.

You're now just comparing one country to us.

Ireland is one of the top countries in the world for scenery.

Isn't Iceland the place where troll hunter was filmed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

We have in fact too many good things in this country, An incredible culture, one of the most loved people in the World, we have our own language( wish we could appreciate more ) we have fantastic scenery , great pubs with great music you wouldn't find anywhere else, fantastic indigenous sports such as hurling and Gaelic football, We are a cocktail of greatness condensed into a small little island in the North Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

I have done a fair bit of travelling op and i would put Ireland above all other country's iv been too. however i would agree with internet speeds, roads and public transport : ) there a sham to be honest.

The line about needing to include third-world countries to make us average makes the whole post complete nonsense though, on every single bullet-point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

What's that word for the psychological compulsion to be anywhere else rather than where one actually is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

I think the OP is just a negative Nancy.

catallus wrote: »
    What's that word for the psychological compulsion to be anywhere else rather than where one actually is?
    Culchie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

You have clearly not travelled extensively as it takes an ignorant person to make such a statement about Ireland. I have travelled far and wide and it has only deepened my appreciation for my country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Its the moderation that makes Ireland one of the best.
    Yep. Ireland is "human sized". Nothing too big or small, nothing to extreme one way or the other. It's one of it's plus points.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

You have clearly not travelled extensively as it takes an ignorant person to make such a statement about Ireland. I have travelled far and wide and it has only deepened my appreciation for my country.

Im sure he's over to Iceland every other weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

drumswan wrote: »
    Culchie

Thunderbollix! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Ireland is the 8th most peaceful country on Earth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Meh?

weather - average
    scenery - average
    Dublin - average
    women (also men to avoid offence) - average
    soccer team - average
    built environment - average
    wages - average
    taxes - average
    men - average
    things to do - average
    things to see - average
    the people - average
    murder rate - average
    traffic accidents - average
    internet speed/access - average
    roads - average
    public transport - average
    education system - average
    police - average
    corruption - average
    ...on and on

Ireland is so average. And we can only call it average if we include all third world countries.:mad:

Is there anything about Ireland that anyone can say is better than elsewhere? Above average?

You need to check out wages, corruption, public transport, roads, internet speeds, murder rates etc. in the actual real world you actually really live in. Start with Africa. Move to the rest of the Developing world, try out Syria and Iraq, pop into the Eastern Block and then head West.

Ireland is, of course, way above average in almost all metrics. It is probably way above average in the "global north".

kiffer wrote: »
    Ireland is the 8th most peaceful country on Earth...

Out of the 15 countries that Kermit knows, thats about average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Meh?

weather - average - yea
    scenery - average - Nope
    Dublin - average - mighty place...saying that as a culchie
    women (also men to avoid offence) - average, women well below continental average, better though than what's across the Atlantic
    soccer team - average, you're being optimistic
    built environment - average, wtf does that mean in actual English
    wages - average - are higher than most of Europe
    taxes - average - very high on the lower and middle earners
    men - average - why does so many foreign women love Irish men?
    things to do - average - loads to do, you're hanging with the wrong people
    things to see - average - you're joking, Ireland's history goes back 1000s of years
    the people - average - ever lived in Eastern Europe, where you're deemed a freak if you smile more than once per day
    murder rate - average - actually it's quite high...but if we don't count drug-related murders, then it's pretty low
    traffic accidents - average - low, our insurance system is a joke though
    internet speed/access - average - depends where you live
    roads - average = the motorway in Ireland are great, cateyes everywhere and signposted quite good too. Country roads, different story
    public transport - average - very, very poor
    education system - average - Ireland has really well-educated young people, it's just they leave school not knowing what they really want to do and end up in jobs they sometimes hate
    police - average - I think for an unarmed force they're very good at their jobs
    corruption - average - higher than Western Europe, far lower than Eastern Europe

I am pie wrote: »
    This looks like a scientifically compiled list based on thorough research.

I am giving it 10 out of 10, would use again. Recommended for academic purposes.

Wages, average! Yes, I imagine Ireland is slap bang into between southern Sudan and Switzerland !

HE ONLY KNOWS 15 COUNTRIES! GIVE HIM A BREAK!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

catallus wrote: »

Ambition?

Advertisement