Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I am not talking about the franchise, we are talking about the game itself.

And the game itself is a timed exclusive for Xbox One, after which it will be released, published by Squenix, on PS4. Re the publishing thing, from Squenix statement:

"Yes, Microsoft will be publishing Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox"

Note the very important last 2 words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well that's enough to convince me to buy an Xbox one :pac:

I find it strange that there still hasn't been anything saying its coming to PS4

Nothing strange about it at all. MS has bought an exclusivity window where Squenix or CD aren't allowed to mention other platforms it may or may not be coming to

Why not announce months ago that Microsoft is publishing the game?

Microsoft is publishing the Xbox One version, not the game in every form

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

COYVB wrote: »
    And the game itself is a timed exclusive for Xbox One, after which it will be released, published by Squenix, on PS4. Re the publishing thing, from Squenix statement:

"Yes, Microsoft will be publishing Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox"

Note the very important last 2 words.

We still don't know if its going to be released on PS4.

What we do know is it will be a timed exclusive on Xbox One but thats it.

Square Enix mentioned the following in the same statement.
    This doesn’t mean that we’re walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4.

Don't be surprised if there is more to this story.

• Advertisement

Microsoft is publishing the Xbox One version, not the game in every form

Yes, we already know this :rolleyes:

I am trying to recall, has there been a game before that has done the same with MS publishing it and then PS3 or earlier having a version published by another crowd. I can't think of one, anyone know? there might be an obvious one I am not thinking of.

It's being released on PS4

Link?

I can't find anything official.

You know what I hate, this bull**** where people want a link for everything, as if links are the only possible sources of information someone who works in the goddamned industry could possibly have. IT'S COMING OUT ON THE PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

The first trailer premiered on Microsoft's E3 press conference. The game is to be published by Microsoft Studios and is scheduled for a holiday 2015 release for Xbox 360 and Xbox One only at this time. There is no mention of any other platforms at this time anywhere official.

• Advertisement

Reati wrote: »
    There is no mention of any other platforms at this time anywhere official.

BECAUSE THERE'S A TIMED EXCLUSIVITY AGREEMENT.

MS hardly want Squenix going about telling folk that it'll be out on the PS4 a few months after the Xbox One version - that kind of defeats the purpose of spending a small fortune on timed exclusivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

You know what I hate, this bull**** where people want a link for everything, as if links are the only possible sources of information someone who works in the goddamned industry could possibly have. IT'S COMING OUT ON THE PS4

So with your deep inside industry knowledge, when should PS4 owners expect the game..

I find people use links that redirect to source material to support their statements.

Like in this case if there was a statement from Square Enix saying its coming to PS4 that would lend weight to your statement that its coming out on the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Does it really matter? You own a xbox so you won't have to worry about it not appearing on the Xbox One.

As for the rest of us, I think we can wait to hear what they say after it releases on Xbox.

tok9 wrote: »
    Does it really matter? You own a xbox so you won't have to worry about it not appearing on the Xbox One.

As for the rest of us, I think we can wait to hear what they say after it releases on Xbox.

Its an interesting story to follow, both Microsoft and Square Enix seem to be making a balls out of the deal they are brewing. Its funny that they don't just come out and say what the plan is.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Because we're on the internet where it's a lot easier for people to lie about who they are. For example, I'm Kaz Hirai and it isn't coming out on PS4.

Its an interesting story to follow, both Microsoft and Square Enix seem to be making a balls out of the deal they are brewing. Its funny that they don't just come out and say what the plan is.

I'm not sure it's that interesting to be honest. Certainly interesting when it was announced as a timed exclusive. But there's been no new information since that's added to it.

I'm not sure it's that interesting to be honest. Certainly interesting when it was announced as a timed exclusive. But there's been no new information since that's added to it.
    Yes, there is.

On Monday it was announced that Microsoft Studios is publishing the game and then Square Enix released a statement mentioning why this is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Even if it stays Xbox One console exclusive I'd still say MS will release it on PC eventually if they are allowed publish and not Squeenix....

They like cash so I may pick up the PC version in a steam sale....

..... In 2016

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Meh, seems like MS are only repeat-beating this drum as a response to PS4's "console exclusive" deal for Street Fighter 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

What we do know is it will be a timed exclusive on Xbox One but thats it.

Square Enix mentioned the following in the same statement.

Don't be surprised if there is more to this story.

I know its difficult but use your brain for a second. If this game was not coming out on PS4, what possible reason would Mircosoft have for not disclosing that information ?

If they had exclusive rights to current gen Tomb Raider and had to choose between;

A - "Tomb Raider is a Xbox One, current Gen exclusive, you will never be able to play this on the PS4"

or

B - "Tomb raider is coming to Xbox One first and we're going to keep everyone guessing about a potential PS4 release... just for the craic..."

Why would they choose B ? You didn't see Sony come out beating around the bush with their Street Fighter Announcement... it was a clear "Only on playstation" announcement.. zero ambiguity. People know where they stand, if they feel they need the game they'll go buy a PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I think it will eventually come out on PS4, mainly because, as Magill said, why wouldn't MS not say it was 100% exclusive, they have even said there is a duration.

In saying that, I think it will be at least a year after the Xbox release, this is essentially MS answer to Uncharted.

TLDR : I haven't a clue what's going on, are those my feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I like ham....

Magill wrote: »
    I know its difficult but use your brain for a second. If this game was not coming out on PS4, what possible reason would Mircosoft have for not disclosing that information ?

If they had exclusive rights to current gen Tomb Raider and had to choose between;

A - "Tomb Raider is a Xbox One, current Gen exclusive, you will never be able to play this on the PS4"

or

B - "Tomb raider is coming to Xbox One first and we're going to keep everyone guessing about a potential PS4 release... just for the craic..."

Why would they choose B ? You didn't see Sony come out beating around the bush with their Street Fighter Announcement... it was a clear "Only on playstation" announcement.. zero ambiguity. People know where they stand, if they feel they need the game they'll go buy a PS4.

How about option C :D

It was announced on Monday that "Rise of the Tomb Raider" is being published by Microsoft on the XB1 and Square Enix have released a statement saying that the development team have gotten a lot of support from Microsoft and more PR stuff.

They could have announced this from the start but this seems like a recent development which no doubt will come at a price. Maybe an increase in exclusivity duration or more.

Look at the timing in relation to the Street Fighter deal. Days after thats announced suddenly Microsoft say that they are publishing Tomb Raider. Square Enix are publishers, they could have released the game themselves regardless of what platform got it first.

I am speculating that there is something more to come with this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I'd be very surprised if it doesn't get a release on the PS4.

There's too much corporate jargon and legal phrasing in everything. If Microsoft could have come out with what Sony has with Street Fighter - "Console exclusive", there would be no reason for them not to.

I could be wrong but I hope I'm not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Please lay off the overly hostile posts please, couple of posts skirting very close to the edge here. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

There is another reason for a purposely vague media release, the company taps the glass of the aquarium and gets all the fish fluttering around.

Well played.

Yes, there is.

On Monday it was announced that Microsoft Studios is publishing the game and then Square Enix released a statement mentioning why this is a good idea.

It was already announced that Microsoft were publishing the game at Gamescom.

It was already announced that Microsoft were publishing the game at Gamescom.

No, it was only announced that Micrisoft is publishing the game last Monday hence all the media attention on the topic in the last few days.

It's was announced at Gamescom that it would be an Xbox exclusive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If it was exclusive then it would be announced already. Street Fighter 5 won't be out for around 2 years and we already know that's exclusive for the PS4 and PC.

Same with Titanfall

Advertisement