Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Probably fair to say this whole announcement didn't go quite as swimmingly as either Square Enix or Microsoft would have hoped.

The whole exclusivity ambiguity double speak needs to go away though. It's the same with No Man's Sky, but at least in that case 'console debut' is a touch less vague and implies a life beyond the initial launch. But tricksy corporate language generally is a frustration for pretty much everyone (developers and players, certainly) and a new level of piss was ripped in this case. At least we have clarification now.

It is frustrating that a big next-gen sequel due in late 2015 is going to have a previous gen version too. Would have hoped there'd be no more of that from early next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Tomb raider is one of the biggest franchises ever lol at those saying it's not a huge game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Tomb raider is one of the biggest franchises ever lol at those saying it's not a huge game.

To be fair.. that's similar to saying Duke Nukem is one of the biggest franchises ever.

Doesn't mean much now.

tok9 wrote: »
    To be fair.. that's similar to saying Duke Nukem is one of the biggest franchises ever.

Doesn't mean much now.

No it's not Duke nukems last effort was atrocious the last tomb raider was excellent and it's a game everyone I know really wants to play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Tombraider isn't as big as it was in the 90s, either in games or out of it, regardless of how good the 2013 effort was.

• Advertisement

No it's not Duke nukems last effort was atrocious the last tomb raider was excellent and it's a game everyone I know really wants to play

But that doesn't take away from the comment whether the game is good or bad.

Tomb Raider was a fun game but I'm definitely not eager to play the next one. Hopefully they can make some significant improvements.

I for one am delighted ms tied up tomb raider

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I for one am delighted ms tied up tomb raider

This has been asked before but there hasn't been an answer.

Why are you delighted? You were going to get it anyway.

Otacon wrote: »
    This has been asked before but there hasn't been an answer.

Why are you delighted? You were going to get it anyway.

Tbh bitter pills towards Sony after faulty disc drive. Sony said because I didn't have receipt more than likely I'll have to pay for repair. Si I sold console games controllers and got myself 390 euro excellent profit of 60 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Tbh bitter pills towards Sony after faulty disc drive. Sony said because I didn't have receipt more than likely I'll have to pay for repair. Si I sold console games controllers and got myself 390 euro excellent profit of 60 euro

I take it you informed the person who you sold the console to that it had a faulty drive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I agree with previous posters. Tomb Raider is a hugely recognisable name and franchise, but even though the last game was a great return to form, it's simply not the sales beast it once was. TR sold 7m copies over PS3/360/PS4/XBO/PC in about 15 months. The Last of Us sold about 7m on PS3 alone in 12 months and it was a brand new IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jaysus this is turning into part 2 of the PS4 vs Xbox One thread.

Mods, can someone kindly change the title to either 'timed X ONE exclusive' or just get rid of the exclusive bit altogether please?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Alright, that tells me all I need to know.

Cross gen seems a bit of an odd one, considering we'll be a good 2 years into the gen by this point. Still, great game, more people get to play it the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Jaysus this is turning into part 2 of the PS4 vs Xbox One thread.

Mods, can someone kindly change the title to either 'timed X ONE exclusive' or just get rid of the exclusive bit altogether please?

Thanks.

Just drop Johnny or retro a PM and they'll do it for you if you can't edit the OP youself or report your own post so they will see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

calex71 wrote: »
    Just drop Johnny or retro a PM and they'll do it for you if you can't edit the OP youself or report your own post so they will see it.

Damn, forgot about just editing myself :o. Changed now, thanks man.

Otacon wrote: »
    Alright, that tells me all I need to know.

Does it though?

Well it did to me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I hope you told the buyer about the fault! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

So... this has been confirmed as a timed exclusive only... honestly why all the stupid marketing spinning bull**** and not just come out and tell it how it is ? Did MS really expect people to run out and buy an Xbox One as soon as they heard the news ?

Honestly I seriously think they did themselves a disservice as there is pretty much no positives to come out from how they announced this and tried to fool dopey gamers into buying an xbox.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-13-microsoft-confirms-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-xbox-exclusivity-deal-has-a-duration

• Advertisement

Benzino wrote: »
    I hope you told the buyer about the fault! :eek:

Did I?? Hmm

Did I?? Hmm

Looking at the ad, doesn't look like you did. Pretty ****ty if you didn't to be honest.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Looking at the ad, doesn't look like you did. Pretty ****ty if you didn't to be honest.
    what ad??????

i sold the console to cex.... they did a stern test of console and no problems in the two hours they had it. i bought a console from cex before and it was faulty so its my way of getting even with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

what ad??????

i sold the console to cex.... they did a stern test of console and no problems in the two hours they had it. i bought a console from cex before and it was faulty so its my way of getting even with them.

Edit: Ah, couldn't be bothered. Here is not the place for it anyway.

So Tomb Raider will be coming out on multiple platforms after all, yay now I can pick it up in the steam sale for next to nothing a year later :)

I forget if I mentioned it, but it's seriously disappointing that it's being developed for last gen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

you'd imaging a company like Microsoft would be great at public relations, but with the Xbox one, it's just been blunder after blunder. I don't particularly agree with exclusives in general, but ffs, if you're going to make it an exclusive, do it, don't be a cheapskate! How much money did they flush down the drain with timed exclusives so far? Mass Effect, Dead Rising 3, Metro 2033 (i think?), Ryse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

you'd imaging a company like Microsoft would be great at public relations, but with the Xbox one, it's just been blunder after blunder. I don't particularly agree with exclusives in general, but ffs, if you're going to make it an exclusive, do it, don't be a cheapskate! How much money did they flush down the drain with timed exclusives so far? Mass Effect, Dead Rising 3, Metro 2033 (i think?), Ryse...

Plants Vs Zombies was one too I think. Thats only out for ps4 this week or next I think.

Benzino wrote: »
    Edit: Ah, couldn't be bothered. Here is not the place for it anyway.

So Tomb Raider will be coming out on multiple platforms after all, yay now I can pick it up in the steam sale for next to nothing a year later :)

Exactly good lad

calex71 wrote: »
    Plants Vs Zombies was one too I think. Thats only out for ps4 this week or next I think.

Plants vs zombies is a great game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Mass Effect wasn't a timed exclusive, Bioware was an independently owned developer at the time and MGS published it. Metro 2033 launched on both 360 and PC but never came to the PS3. It's finally being released on the PS4 now in Redux form since whatever deal MS had with THQ is gone by the wayside. Dead Rising 3 and Ryse are confirmed as coming to the PC, but I'd be surprised to see both make it to the PS4 any time soon.

Not that I disagree with your main point though, it is MS' approach to exclusivity which I fundamentally disagree with. They should be investing in studios, in teams and people, not temporary licencing deals because, in the long run, it's going to be the former that pays off for their platform. That being said, Sony have been going full steam ahead with it on the PSN side of things for PS4. With their relatively poor performance in the area on the PS3 outside of first party offerings and the explosion in popularity in the market over the last few years, it seems to be paying off quite well for them too.

Advertisement