Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

this would of upset me if it was old school tomb raider that you actually Raided Tombs Instead of a game trying so hard to try to make a female badass by swearing and mowing down enemies like a psychopath.

Lara croft guardian of light was a much better title than what was the reboot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

gizmo wrote: »
    Mass Effect was slightly different though as that was a game published by Microsoft Games Studios but Bioware retained the IP. Then when Bioware were acquired by EA they would have been able to go multi-platform.

that makes sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Anyone who thinks square only makes bad final fantasy games needs to play bravely default, an excellent RPG and final fantasy in all but name :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,922 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They probably aren't looking to repeat the Resident Evil 4 debacle where before it was released as an "exclusive" for Gamecube, they announced it was coming to PS2. So that would've affected sales. Probably the same here where they can't say it's timed (if it is) or that would kind of miss the point

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 The Chocolate Thunder

I'm fortunate enough to own both consoles, but nonetheless, I feel for those who only own a Playstation having grown up with it myself and Tomb Raider games being a staple of that. My brother only owns a Playstation and has been a supporter of the franchise since the PS1 days, so I can only imagine his reaction to this.

What makes things weirder is that Square Enix were bemoaning the lack of sales of the last game on last gen consoles and PC, now it's just Xbox One with the smaller fanbase out of the consoles quite possibly. Guess the lumps of cash Microsoft threw at them will ease any poor sales somewhat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

to be honest, after Deadrising 3 and Ryse, when i hear Xbox one exclusive, i just assume it's going to be on Steam within a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

From the way its being phrased, its definitely a timed exclusive. Phew.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

So in other words... coming to xbox end of 2015... with the definitive PS4 version in February 2016 ?

I guess Square Enix's thinking is along the lines of....

Take lots of MS's money
    Avoid direct competition with Uncharted 4 and sell Tomb Raider to all the Xbox crowd in 2015
    Outsell the Xbox version 3-1 on the PS4 in 2016

... Profit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,617 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That would actually be a great plan if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,883 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's definitely a kick in the teeth for long time fans of the series, but money talks. And i'd put money on it only being a timed exclusive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Conspiracy Theory time:
    Square Enix were pissed because it initially sell as much as they said it would in order to secure a future exclusivity deal for a rebooted big name franchise. Now that it eventually has, the exclusivity deal they planned has kicked into effect.

Also, Chem Trails.... or something. I'm new to this conspiracy theory stuff... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,397 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Magill wrote: »
    So in other words... coming to xbox end of 2015... with the definitive PS4 version in February 2016 ?

I guess Square Enix's thinking is along the lines of....

Take lots of MS's money
    Avoid direct competition with Uncharted 4 and sell Tomb Raider to all the Xbox crowd in 2015
    Outsell the Xbox version 3-1 on the PS4 in 2016

... Profit ?

I really don't think it's Square Enix's plan. If anything, I'd say MS paid for the timed exclusive but added the caveat that no-one was allowed to mention it was eventually coming to PS4 too. Use it as a hook to sell more XBOs in the run up to Christmas 2015, as well as make those with both consoles get it on XBO instead of possibly getting it on PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Thinking about it, it's a nice bonus for Xbox One owners, but is anyone really going to buy a console for Tomb Raider? If they had got FIFA or COD, then you could see it having an impact but would you really chose one console over another just so you could play Tomb Raider?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Tomb Raider as a single console exclusive doesn't roll off the tongue very easy, it doesn't sound right. It has always been on many platforms since it first came around in the mid-90s. I'm going to remain in denial that this will ever happen for the remainder of it's development because this can't happen. Any other game I wouldn't care about, but Tomb Raider?

I don't like this idea and I hope they change their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

In fairness, the original Tomb Raider launched on the Saturn here, so although it may have made it's name on the Playstation it was originally a Sega game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Never played beyond half an hour of any Tomb Raider since the PS1 days.

Never bought into the character so had no interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

You missed a quality game then last year, it was immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I would just like to say it's a terrible name.

Why in god's name did they call the first one Tomb Raider and then the second one Rise of the Tomb Raider... what the hell was she doing in the first game :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,397 ✭✭✭✭Penn

tok9 wrote: »
    I would just like to say it's a terrible name.

Why in god's name did they call the first one Tomb Raider and then the second one Rise of the Tomb Raider... what the hell was she doing in the first game :p

She had to become a Tomb Raider, in order to Rise as a Tomb Raider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

In fairness, the original Tomb Raider launched on the Saturn here, so although it may have made it's name on the Playstation it was originally a Sega game.

Yeah but it was still multi-platform, regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

This is only a timed-exclusive.

What do you expect SquareEnix to say? "This will be coming to PS4 and PC in 2016" while walking out the door with a case full of Bill Gates money??!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I never really had much time for them either, played tomb raider 1-3 back in the ps1 days but I have to say I was really surprised by the reboot and loved it.

This is a bit of a shame really but I can see it being released on PC 6-12 months later anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

slightly off topic, but weren't Wipeout and Resident Evil on the Saturn as well? I know further Tomb Raider games were on the Dreamcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Penn wrote: »
    She had to become a Tomb Raider, in order to Rise as a Tomb Raider.

She really needs to pick up the pace with that tomb raiding so! :p

The mansion, butler and training course should be in the next game but all 3 will probably be separate preorder bonuses from different shops.

Any ETA of Uncharted 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

slightly off topic, but weren't Wipeout and Resident Evil on the Saturn as well? I know further Tomb Raider games were on the Dreamcast.

The first Resident Evil was on the Saturn. The 2nd one was on the Dreamcast (and N64 and PC), Resident Evil hasn't really been exclusive to any machine except Resident Evil 4 was originally a Gamecube exclusive but did get ported to the PS2 and PC.

The first Wipeout was on Saturn too and there was a Wipeout 64 as well. It was an odd one as Sony wholly owned Psygnosis when those games came out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 The Chocolate Thunder

Microsoft confirms Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox exclusivity deal "has a duration". Can't link the article, but it's on Eurogamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Microsoft confirms Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox exclusivity deal "has a duration". Can't link the article, but it's on Eurogamer.

Here's the link
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-13-microsoft-confirms-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-xbox-exclusivity-deal-has-a-duration

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-13-microsoft-confirms-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-xbox-exclusivity-deal-has-a-duration

The length of the exclusivity has not been mentioned.

• Advertisement

He says in the article that will be on 360 as well, thought this was just a next gen game. It really should be as the old technology will just hold it back.

Advertisement