Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P Robin Williams

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

the way in which his death was recorded and played out has been sickening.this is one death where I really,really didn't want to hear the details.just on the news well ago I seen a clip of the coroner's assistant giving a press conference and it's one of the most bizarre things I have seen, the dude was almost smirking giving out very detailed graphic information on the suicide,id to switch it off.
    stupid reporters then outside his house and papers speculating about motives behind it,absolutely sickening.seems like everyone needs to know everything now and to hell with privacy and a human decency. the poor man can't even seem to get a bit of peace in death. there's something really wrong with the news media nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

krudler wrote: »
    Well if you're ever in the position where a famous relative has died and you're getting bombarded with abusive messages about it you can let us know how to deal with it accordingly.

Easy to wade in and saying yeah yeah yeah is easy, without thinking. Firstly we have no one saying they were bombarded. We only know that some messages were received. And expecting maturity is hardly a negative thing imho. I doubt if anyone that has ever taken part in Boards discussions has escaped the odd bit of energetic abuse. As people get older they learn how to interpret isolated abuse and criticism.

smurgen wrote: »
    the way in which his death was recorded and played out has been sickening.this is one death where I really,really didn't want to hear the details.just on the news well ago I seen a clip of the coroner's assistant giving a press conference and it's one of the most bizarre things I have seen, the dude was almost smirking giving out very detailed graphic information on the suicide,id to switch it off.
    stupid reporters then outside his house and papers speculating about motives behind it,absolutely sickening.seems like everyone needs to know everything now and to hell with privacy and a human decency. the poor man can't even seem to get a bit of peace in death. there's something really wrong with the news media nowadays.

Personally I find it easy to avoid knowing stuff I don't want to know. I don't read it.
    Personally also, I find it essential that details of such globally important people are recorded and documented in complete detail. It protects them and the public from behind the scenes manipulation and corruption. Long may it continue.

Piliger wrote: »
    Easy to wade in and saying yeah yeah yeah is easy, without thinking. Firstly we have no one saying they were bombarded. We only know that some messages were received. And expecting maturity is hardly a negative thing imho. I doubt if anyone that has ever taken part in Boards discussions has escaped the odd bit of energetic abuse. As people get older they learn how to interpret isolated abuse and criticism.

her father committed suicide and she's understandably highly emotional right now.get a grip will you?

Personally I find it easy to avoid knowing stuff I don't want to know. I don't read it.
    Personally also, I find it essential that details of such globally important people are recorded and documented in complete detail. It protects them and the public from behind the scenes manipulation and corruption. Long may it continue.

once the police,his lawyers and the family members know the details why does anyone else need to know the graphic details?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Well actually, I follow her on instragram and twitter and saw the abusive messages she was getting, I didn't see the photos but I did see all the other abuse she was getting, and in my opinion she was being bombarded.
    Also, one abusive message is one too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

There is a world of difference between the slagging and snarkiness you get here on boards, and the cruelty being leveled at this young woman who has lost her father in the most tragic of ways, not to mention the disrespect being shown towards the man himself.

When you're grieving even one or two nasty comments can feel like bombardment.

If I where her I'd have done the exact same thing, and would probably have gone farther by reporting the abuse.

Why is it essential that we know how the poor man took his life? Is not enough that we know that he did?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Why is it essential that we know how the poor man took his life? Is not enough that we know that he did?

I read today that the sheriff's office will also release the 911 call that was made by his PA after he was found. I don't think I'll ever understand why America allows these calls to be released to the media. People at their absolute most vulnerable desperately calling for someone to help them and the US sees fit to hand recordings of those calls over so that they picked apart and plastered all over news sites for people's entertainment. What purpose could it possibly serve?
    They did the same with the 911 call Jaoquin Phoenix made as he watched his brother dying in front of him. Shameful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Mousewar wrote: »
    I read today that the sheriff's office will also release the 911 call that was made by his PA after he was found. I don't think I'll ever understand why America allows these calls to be released to the media. People at their absolute most vulnerable desperately calling for someone to help them and the US sees fit to hand recordings of those calls over so that they picked apart and plastered all over news sites for people's entertainment. What purpose could it possibly serve?
    They did the same with the 911 call Jaoquin Phoenix made as he watched his brother dying in front of him. Shameful stuff.

That's absolutely shocking. They are celebrity obsessed over there - and we are not far behind (except we don't really have many).
    What good does this serve except as fodder for puerile keyboard warriors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Even if it was just one picture its disgusting. What kind of mind would think of doctoring a picture in such a way and sending it to the family of the person involved. How messed up to you have to be to get your kicks that way. It says a lot about that individuals mindset. I don't think age is much of a barrier tbh either, at any age if someone were to target you in such an aggressive way its going to be hurtful. Zelda Williams is the victim here, she has done nothing wrong and its pretty awful you don't condone the scumbag who created the image and sent it to her in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

You're an odd fellow, aren't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

smurgen wrote: »
    once the police,his lawyers and the family members know the details why does anyone else need to know the graphic details?

They don't need to know the details. I'll never understand why some people feel the need to put things which should be private out there.

Tarzana wrote: »
    You're an odd fellow, aren't you?

What ? Oh spare me the wagging finger. I haven't said a single thing against Williams, quite the opposite.

Can you not deal with differing opinions ? What is it with this precious holier than though attitude ?

They don't need to know the details. I'll never understand why some people feel the need to put things which should be private out there.

I find this whole secrecy attitude completely odious and appalling. This is what it means to live in a free country without big government deciding what the people deserve to know and what they should not know. Thank goodness for the freedom of information rights they have. We need a lot more of it here. No one is pushing or forcing people to read or watch. If people don't want to know then it is easy to avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I find this whole secrecy attitude completely odious and appalling. This is what it means to live in a free country without big government deciding what the people deserve to know and what they should not know. Thank goodness for the freedom of information rights they have. We need a lot more of it here. No one is pushing or forcing people to read or watch. If people don't want to know then it is easy to avoid it.

How do you avoid an image sent to your Twitter account? Should she have been expecting it?

Glad you're such a fan of free access to people's private affairs. Post up your name address, Facebook, Twitter, email and phone number in your next post, show you have the courage of your convictions. We do need more access to people's private lives as you say, best to begin by demonstrating your commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

And if you could send me a picture of your dad, so I can doctor it to show his gruesome death. Sure no harm done, you don't HAVE to look at it, that's your choice right? Just a bit of vigorous criticism...and please, spare me the wagging finger...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

I suppose you'll be over the moon then if Robin William's autopsy and/or morgue photos are leaked.

Mod

Pilliger. I'm not thread banning you because of your opinion, I'm thread banning you because you seem intent on winding people in a sensitive thread.

Don't post here again please.

That's disgusting.

But what's even sadder is the fact they wouldn't do things like this if there was a demand for the information.

People obviously want to know and hear these things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Total aside but Zelda Williams looks SO like her dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I haven't heard the Joaquin Phoenix one thankfully, but I remember when Brittany Murphy died and they played I think it was her mother's 911 call on the news. It was incredibly distressing to hear, I had to turn it off. I can't imagine what anyone is getting out of listening to that, and I can't believe that the police agree to release it to the media. Surely all it takes to stop that getting into the hands of "journalists" is to refuse to hand it over? Why would listening to someone in a moment of sheer panic realizing that someone they love is dead/dying be considered in public interest? Just because they're famous, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,443 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Please sign this petition:
    Petitioning Nintendo of America

Name an NPC in the new Legend of Zelda game after Robin Williams

Today, Robin Williams passed away. There aren't enough words to describe this worldwide icon's impact on comedy or cinema, though many people, including the President of the United States, have tried.

Robin was an avid player of video games, with a love for all things Nintendo, and a particular love of all things Legend of Zelda. It is well-known that he named his daughter after the series' titular princess. Nintendo of America itself only recently hired him and his daughter to promote the franchise in a series of ads.

So, in a day where there aren't many words, what can we do? Well, there's a new Zelda game on the horizon. A bold reinvention, a fresh new open world adventure for Wii U. I would like to suggest that when the game is localised to English, Nintendo of America and the Treehouse name one of the characters "Robin" in his memory.

He won't get to play it, but he'll live on forever in a universe he always loved.
    To:

Nintendo of America, Nintendo

Please consider naming an NPC in the new Legend of Zelda game after Robin Williams. It was a series he loved, and it's a small tribute to a great man.

Sincerely,
    [Your name]

https://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/nintendo-of-america-name-an-npc-in-the-new-legend-of-zelda-game-after-robin-williams

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Robin Williams Wife has just revealed that he had early stages of Parkinson's disease at the time of his death.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28796277

Susan Schneider said her husband had been sober but "not yet ready to share publicly" his struggles with Parkinson's.

"It is our hope in the wake of Robin's tragic passing, that others will find the strength to seek the care and support they need to treat whatever battles they are facing so they may feel less afraid," Susan Schneider said, in a statement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

What's with this fashion of "You can choose to be offended or you can choose to ignore it"? Total deflection of responsibility. Someone harassing someone can... *choose* not to be a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Magaggie wrote: »
    What's with this fashion of "You can choose to be offended or you can choose to ignore it"? Total deflection of responsibility. Someone harassing someone can... *choose* not to be a dick.

Especially when it comes to celebrities and their families. If someone non famous killed themselves and people were sending their relatives photoshopped pics of them commiting suicide there'd be uproar, and rightly so.
    Yet when it comes to famous people it seems idiots are given carte blanche to just be complete dickheads.
    If you're a celebrity a thick skin is certainly needed to avoid taking criticism to heart too much, but there's an absolute world of difference between criticism and downright cuntish behaviour towards a grieving family. Anyone thinking that Williams' family can just "ignore it" should really take a look at their own character tbh.

Robins wife has come out and said that he was at the early stages of Parkinson's disease. He really had it tough

Edit: Already mentioned above

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Ok seeing as he was in the early stages of Parkinsons it is understandable why he'd chose to take his life.

I'd imagine that there are many who would make that decision when presented with such a diagnosis.

• Advertisement

P_1 wrote: »
    Ok seeing as he was in the early stages of Parkinsons it is understandable why he'd chose to take his life.

I'd imagine that there are many who would make that decision when presented with such a diagnosis.

It was probably the final straw anyway

Advertisement