Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P Robin Williams

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

leahyl wrote: »
    The family should be the only ones that get those details to be honest.

One person said "what happens with the body next?" Seriously?!

I don't agree though I do understand your sentiment. It is important that the public knows that there is no hidden agenda or subterfuge in important cases like this. Transparency produces confidence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Contrarian view coming up.

We (as in society) need to stop glorifying these people's deaths.

Robin Williams isn't a hero. RIP but he should not be deified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I don't think anyone called him a hero? He was a very talented comic and accomplished actor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Oh wait until the "are you ok hun xx" crowd see this.

Your in for it then my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

He's not being deified for being dead or having committed suicide, he's being lauded for having one of the most impressive bodies of work in film that we've ever seen, for being a comic genuis and a stellar actor, for having touched the lives of millions of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Who deified him?? People are just saddened that someone who brought great joy and laughter to so many, has left us in such sad circumstances. They just want to express that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I guess it just goes to show that no matter how famous or successful you are, depression and suicide can effect us all.

So sad, may he rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

last photo taken of him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Probably hindsight, but he doesn't look well in that photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

He was just so insanely popular and loved by nearly everyone I know, or ever knew, of all ages, regardless of what you feel about him, so... you'll just have to suck it up I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

I just think that deaths like this need to be highlighted in another way.

Rather than focussing on how great Good Will Hunting is, we should be imploring people with similar feelings to share their problems.

Probably hindsight, but he doesn't look well in that photo.

forced smile and gaunt in the face

Rather than focussing on how great Good Will Hunting, we should be imploring people with similar feelings to share their problems.

Well you're entitled to your view. Personally I see your post as being a fundamentally flawed view of what is happening. It is a celebration of a genius. It is a loss of that genius and the years of pleasure and entertainment he gave us. We are blessed with people like this a couple of times in a century.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Rather than focussing on how great Good Will Hunting, we should be imploring people with similar feelings to share their problems.

That is very true. Eileen Dunne on the 9 o clock news gave a list of helpline numbers at the end of the segment on his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

, we should be imploring people with similar feelings to share their problems.

That has been the over riding sentiment of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Can't we do both? people have been on this very thread.

kinda tragic irony he appeared in this video.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Robin Williams: 

Here's a little warning sign if you have a cocaine problem:
    Number 1, if you come home to your house and there is no furniture and your cats going "I'm out of here, prick!" WARNING!
    Number 2, If you have this dream, where your doing cocaine in your sleep, and you can't fall asleep and doing cocaine in your sleep and can't fall asleep AND YOU WAKE UP and doing cocaine! BINGO!
    Number 3, If on your tax forms, it says "50,000 dollars for snacks! MAY DAY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

"Californian weed is so damn strong, you take a toke and you just end up sitting on your couch for a week until your cat goes "Get the fcuk up, you lazy motherfcuker!" :)

Just watching it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Really knocked the stuffing out of me when I heard this morning.

One of my favourite memories of him was when he assisted with the World Cup draw of 1994, and he proceeded to take the utter p1ss out of Sepp Blatter while he was drawing out the balls, then holding the balls up like he was at bingo :p

Pic

Really funny guy, so so sad. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

testament to the man that almost everyone feels like its a personal loss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ah tis yourself Larry, good to see you keep up the 'posting shíte' persona outside the Soccer forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Eddie Izzard was just on Newsnight talking about it. He seemed quite emotional, seemed to be having trouble articulating just how much of a loss it is.

Eddie Izzard was just on Newsnight talking about it. He seemed quite emotional, seemed to be having trouble articulating just how much of a loss it is.

Yes just watched it. Trying to articulate this kind of thing is impossibly difficult especially for someone who knew him personally. Look how difficult it is for us who were touched by his beauty - and I use that word to encompass everything he gave us.
    (and who TF was the woman from America ? she had nothing intelligible to say, only her broad silly grin)

It is rare that I feel such a loss so deeply, as an old fart of 50+. And yet I do. I can't bring myself to watch his videos yet. It's more than just being a favourite performer, or someone who made me laugh. It's more than him being a terrific and enjoyable actor. He was so much more than all of those things put together. It's so hard to explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Piliger wrote: »
    Yes just watched it. Trying to articulate this kind of thing is impossibly difficult especially for someone who knew him personally. Look how difficult it is for us who were touched by his beauty - and I use that word to encompass everything he gave us.
    (and who TF was the woman from America ? she had nothing intelligible to say, only her broad silly grin)

It is rare that I feel such a loss so deeply, as an old fart of 50+. And yet I do. I can't bring myself to watch his videos yet. It's more than just being a favourite performer, or someone who made me laugh. It's more than him being a terrific and enjoyable actor. He was so much more than all of those things put together. It's so hard to explain.

Indeed. I think the circumstances make it all the more hard to take too. If he had died of some natural causes or had a bad heart or something, it would be awful, but not quite as awful as imagining just how bad things must have been for him in his own mind that he saw no other alternative except to end it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

fryup wrote: »
    last photo taken of him

You missed the words "could be the" last photo taken of him, as per the article you linked to:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Giving the air of publicity to those nuts helps no-one and nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,892 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

10615423_4552690870598_3431730610636277776_n.jpg?oh=7dc25a72603c66047a4efd307fe64ed1&oe=546284A7

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Watching Mrs Doubtfire now, streaming from my macbook

Advertisement