Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P Robin Williams

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I don't think the mania was put on, I would have thought it might have had something to do with bipolar disorder, which he supposedly suffered from. I'm not bipolar myself, but I heard Stephen Fry talking about it once, and he said that when you're in the manic period of bipolar, you're running around the place like a headless chicken, talking at a hundred miles an hour, ideas just keep popping into your head, you're awake for days, etc. Then the flip side of that is when you come crashing down and the depression is just overwhelming. I would say Robin Williams was very much this kind of person - ecstatic highs and horrible lows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

He always was too manic and came across as a very false persona for the audience.

Well, I don't know about that, but he was certainly no angel, that's for sure. :) But not really the thread for it.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Most people loved him and can name at least one of his films that meant a great deal to them.

Ah, I dunno, lots of people found him irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

Tarzana wrote: »
    Ah, I dunno, lots of people found him irritating.

perhaps but a lot of the people who disliked his hyperactive personality would have appreciated his performances in the likes of one hour photo and good will hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

RIP Robin.

My heart goes out to anyone that is tortured enough to want to end their own life.

It just goes to show that plenty of money and respect the world over means jack sh*t if you are depressed.

Prayers to his family and all those families dealing with the aftermath of suicide.

• Advertisement

nerd69 wrote: »
    perhaps but a lot of the people who disliked his hyperactive personality would have appreciated his performances in the likes of one hour photo and good will hunting.

Maybe, indeed. Though some of his serious performances are a tad overrated because of who he is and how different they are to his normal persona, IMHO. Good Will Hunting still had some of the manic stuff anyway, just a shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

There was nothing over rated about his acting performances. If anything he was under rated because of his comedy background. He has most definitely been one of the best actors of the last twenty years in any genre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Currently watching Weapons of Self Destruction. A hour and a half of comedic brilliance. All I can do to ease the sadness of his parting is to laugh at his stand up. It helps but just. A great man with comedy prowess that will never be matched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Sorry but I couldn't stand him in anything. He always was too manic and came across as a very false persona for the audience. I always tuned elsewhere when any of his stuff was on. Again sorry but I'm tired with all the items on radio and TV about him all day.

Good God. The guy died last night. As with any death of a person of prominence, it gets media attention. But don't worry, it will all be over in a few days. Your life can return to normality. :rolleyes:

It's heartening too not just to hear people praising his work, but also talking about what a genuinely great guy he was who was generous with his time and money and seemed to really care about other people. Amazing how one can go through life like that and can't quite extend the love to themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

RIP Robin....Nanu Nanu :o

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I haven't been around Boards in ages but came here because I wanted to read some nice things about him while I kick back after work with some wine and stick on The Birdcage.

I remember as a kid waiting for the next Robin Williams movie to come out.. even if it was something a bit crappy like Jack or Flubber, you'd still go see it in the cinema or rent it from the video store.

You couldn't compare him to anybody, certainly not of his generation of comedians. He was a wonderful performer and he will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

There was a nice little tribute at the end of RTE news this evening with clips from some of his movies and right at the end you heard "Nanu, Nanu" :-(

I'd love to see one of his films on tonight as a tribute but don't think there are any scheduled

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Wow, gonna miss this guy, one of my favourites of all time, really terrible for it to end this way, one of his best films for me?...

Seize The Day, really loved that movie, life just really sucked for him in that, art imitating life?

(very few people have actually seen that movie)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I loved him in The Birdcage.. I know he had a lot more epic roles than that but that's my personal favourite.

Huge loss to Hollywood :(

Piliger wrote: »
    There was nothing over rated about his acting performances.

To me personally, the serious ones are a bit. Definitely not underrated, he got a lot of praise for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I only watched the Birdcage a few weeks ago so Good Will Hunting it is

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The_g-man

RIP, brilliant human being on so many levels.:(

Good Will Hunting is on Thursday on BBC

• Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭cena

Just said on the news he hung himself by the sheriff office

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ, the media want the exact minute details of how he died, ffs

leahyl wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, the media want the exact minute details of how he died, ffs

Let the family get get the details first.

cena wrote: »
    Let the family get get the details first.

The family should be the only ones that get those details to be honest.

One person said "what happens with the body next?" Seriously?!

And I have Alladin on DVD!

leahyl wrote: »
    The family should be the only ones that get those details to be honest.

One person said "what happens with the body next?" Seriously?!

Yes the family should be the only ones that get the details, but it would be linked out some way

Also, we already knew it was death from asphyxiation and a likely suicide. I'm sure most people can join the dots.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

cena wrote: »
    Yes the family should be the only ones that get the details, but it would be linked out some way

In America they do press conferences where everyone gets the details. Over here, the police illegally leak the details to newspapers.

Robin had so many classic films, a few bad ones, but he made people laugh. What more could you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Genuinely sad to hear this. Every single DJ this morning on my way to work was reminiscing about their favourite Williams film, and I heard the theme tune to Mork and Mindy played more than once. The entertainment industry really has lost a favourite son. No doubt all tv channels will be showing some of his films in tribute over the coming few weeks, and hopefully bring a few laughs to those who remember the great roles, both comedic and serious, that he played.

I have visions of this happening in the pews at his funeral, and I think it would be wonderful:

standing-up.jpg

Nanu nanu, Robin :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I've been thinking about this all day. There was always something jittery about Williams, a sort of nervous, frenetic energy, which no doubt accentuated his brilliance as an actor and a comic. He always seemed on edge, and any interview of his that I've read, he's always descended into humour - most notably when the subject would begin to get serious or personal.

Example: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2010/sep/20/robin-williams-worlds-greatest-dad-alcohol-drugs

I read that cracked.com article about the mask that humour can serve for people who eventually end up making their livelihood through it, and it kind of adds up in the saddest way.

He suffered with depression and various addictions for most of his life. He was voted 'least likely to succeed' at high school. The humour was the biggest defining facet of his personality since he was a kid.

I feel like I've lost a part of my childhood.

Advertisement