Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P Robin Williams

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Who actually needs to know that he hung himself with a belt??

Seriously!! Why do news channels have to dig the arse out of the story like this? :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

My favourites, with number one being his best imo:

8) Bicentennial Man (Ive vague memories of this been great)

7) What Dreams May Come (under-rated)

6) One Hour Photo (its getting lots of praise online today, I must give it another watch. Another Ive a faded memory of been very good)

5) Mrs Doubtfire ("hellllooooo!" (he was divorced twice so Im sure he found it easy to play a man who was missing his kids)

4) Insomnia (he nails it)

3) The Fisher King (used to love this and watched it many times but tried it again recently and it didnt quite stick, must give it another go)

2) Good Will Hunting (The scenes where he talks about his wife)

1) Dead Poets Society ("Oh Captain, my Captain")

Could anyone recommend a great standup DVD of his?

xzanti wrote: »
    Who actually needs to know that he hung himself with a belt??

Seriously!! Why do news channels have to dig the arse out of the story like this? :mad:

Because Rupert Murdoch.

That is (unfortunately) all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    My favourites, with number one being his best imo:

8) Bicentennial Man (Ive vague memories of this been great)

7) What Dreams May Come (under-rated)

6) One Hour Photo (its getting lots of praise online today, I must give it another watch. Another Ive a faded memory of been very good)

5) Mrs Doubtfire ("hellllooooo!" (he was divorced twice so Im sure he found it easy to play a man who was missing his kids)

4) Insomnia (he nails it)

3) The Fisher King (used to love this and watched it many times but tried it again recently and it didnt quite stick, must give it another go)

2) Good Will Hunting (The scenes where he talks about his wife)

1) Dead Poets Society ("Oh Captain, my Captain")

Could anyone recommend a great standup DVD of his?

And no "Seize the day" ?. Another very underrated film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I just watched Good Morning Vietnam for the first time ever tonight. Absolutely stellar performance that I'm told was completely ad-libbed.
    Going to marathon his movies tomorrow. Bicentenial Man is one of the first movies that ever made me cry. Also watched Patch Addams- that was fantastic. Still trying to process the news but I find watching his movies helps.
    As for the ghouls who feel the need to grasp at the grisly details of his death: You are helping no-one with that information.

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »

Sorry, but what in the blue fúck are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

Neeson wrote: »
    He was in a seated position and suspended with a belt.

He cut his left wrist too and a pocketknife was found near his already rigor mortised body and contained what is thought to be dried blood upon the blade.
    Err, thanks for the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

We watched The Birdcage tonight. Was weird at first to watch anything soon after an actor dies but it was alright actually. Id seen it before but forgotten loads. Hes great in it. Someone sent me a mork clip then and I lost it entirely though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

He cut his left wrist too and a pocketknife was found near his already rigor mortised body and contained what is thought to be dried blood upon the blade.

This advice from Samaritans on reporting suicide has just appeared on my twitter feed...

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/499314804906295296

I'm not sure what the need is for people to know exactly what happened in that much detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Too much information. Way too much information. Unnecessary information! :mad:

Exactly!! I don't think anyone wants to know the full extent of how he died. On the subject of him being a deity to some I reckon he was. So many people enjoyed his work for years. He picked people up when they were down, made them cry with laughter and sorrow and captivated audiences worldwide with his stand up comedy. Pity he couldn't find his own happy place and keep himself there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Why the f*ck would you post that here?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

stinkle wrote: »
    We watched The Birdcage tonight. Was weird at first to watch anything soon after an actor dies but it was alright actually. Id seen it before but forgotten loads. Hes great in it. Someone sent me a mork clip then and I lost it entirely though!

"You do an eclectic celebration of the dance! You do Fosse, Fosse, Fosse! You do Martha Graham, Martha Graham, Martha Graham! Or Twyla, Twyla, Twyla! Or Michael Kidd, Michael Kidd, Michael Kidd, Michael Kidd! Or Madonna, Madonna, Madonna!... but you keep it all inside...."

The Birdcage is absolutely hilarious, even though Williams is playing the straight (no pun intended) role between him and Nathan Lane he's still brilliantly funny in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

he was a rare specimen, because most comedians can't do serious acting

to be honest i'm surprised he lasted this long. he always seem to be going through private turmoil(his eyes always seemed sad to me) anytime i saw him interviewed but was using humour to mask it. giving joy to others wasn't enough in the end to stay ahead of his demons.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

"Gotta go see about a girl". RIP Robin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Sorry, but what in the blue fúck are you on about?

maybe this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Looking back, it's amazing how much the film Patch Adams reflects Robin Williams' own life.

he was a rare specimen, because most comedians can't do serious acting

to be honest i'm surprised he lasted this long. he always seem to be going through private turmoil(his eyes always seemed sad to me) anytime i saw him interviewed but was using humour to mask it. giving joy to others wasn't enough in the end to stay ahead of his demons.:(
    Perhaps, all along, he was a serious actor acting like a clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I've spent most of the evening watching clips of his. Oh god, I've laughed so much.

So sad, that behind brining so much joy that there was this terrible sadness. You'll be missed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭OU812

I'm having a really hard time processing his death. Feels like a family member is gone more than a celebrity. I've loved his work since I was eight years old...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

efb wrote: »
    Watching Mrs Doubtfire now, streaming from my macbook

Don't really think anyone gives a flying fcuk about your poxy macbook.

• Advertisement

^

I don't mean clown in a derogatory way, like a jester, a joker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Ah man only saw this now,mad busy all day.

Terrible news.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Slattsy wrote: »
    Don't really think anyone gives a flying fcuk about your poxy macbook.

http://i.imgur.com/WJkqRu9.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

KungPao wrote: »
    ^

I don't mean clown in a derogatory way, like a jester, a joker...

A midnight toker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Just remembered the episode of Louie he appeared on. :( I hope CK follows through.

vicwatson wrote: »

My apologies for my earlier reply to this.

Im just seeing now that he actually had a film called "Seize the Day", I thought you were being an idiot and you perceived Dead Poets Society was called "Seize The Day" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Going to be on a marathon of his for a while, quite a backlog to rewatch so we started with Awakenings tonight.

Was sad at first watching Williams knowing he isn't around anymore, amplified by how he chose to go and just how much me and the GF enjoyed him for so many years with our own personal memories of him and his movies, but was an enjoyable flick with him in a more serious role.

Anyways, nostalgia clip :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I watched Good Will Hunting last night. I hadn't seen any of his films in a while and was struck by his sad eyes. Next time you see him acting, look at his eyes. It is almost as if you can see the pain behind them.

Tragic that behind the 'funny man' façade there was so much pain and, as his daughter said, that he did not feel the love everyone had for him for himself enough to keep him living. His children appear to be a real credit to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I watched Good Will Hunting last night. I hadn't seen any of his films in a while and was struck by his sad eyes. Next time you see him acting, look at his eyes. It is almost as if you can see the pain behind them.

Tragic that behind the 'funny man' façade there was so much pain and, as his daughter said, that he did not feel the love everyone had for him for himself enough to keep him living. His children appear to be a real credit to him.

Snap sunflower - I watched Good Will Hunting last night also; I had actually never seen it before believe it or not and I thought it was an excellent movie; Williams was amazing in it and I know exactly what you mean about his eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,299 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

leahyl wrote: »
    Snap sunflower - I watched Good Will Hunting last night also; I had actually never seen it before believe it or not and I thought it was an excellent movie; Williams was amazing in it and I know exactly what you mean about his eyes.

Snap - I watched it for the first time too last night. The comment about the "sad eyes" is absolutely spot on!

Advertisement