Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P Robin Williams

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

cena wrote: »
    People are saying go speak to a doctor if you feel depressed etc.

It is always easier to say go speak to someone than actually going to do it.
    Many people aren't great at showing feelings.

Unfortunately also many GPs are totally incapable of dealing with it. I know through personal experience. But it's easy to blame people and institutions. Depression is a monumentally difficult illness to deal with.
    There is a myth that is being spread by celebs and medics alike that all people have to do is talk about it and it can be dealt with. This is not true at all. There is no easy fix. There is no one path to the other side.
    Most of all we need good friends that we can reach out to, and we need to know what it means to be good friend to other people when they need it and manage to reach out for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I was almost asleep last night when my sister came in and told me that he'd died. I think I'm still in shock, Robin Williams was an actor that seemed like he'd be around forever, in all different guises. He was an actor that I think a lot of us took for granted, someone who was always in things and it seemed like he would always be in something new.

As someone who has suffered with depression - and is in a bit of a low period right now, if I'm honest - it's not shocking that he killed himself, because I know what it's like to be in that position. But the public outpouring of grief is truly amazing. I was on twitter this morning, and every single one of the trends was related to him - whether RIP, or any one of his films or TV shows.

I just hope that his death makes people realise that there is support available, whether through Samaritans, Jigsaw, or any number of services that are there. It's damn difficult, and scary, but it's worth it in the end. Even going to your GP and saying that you're having a difficult time is worth it, there are supports available.

RIP to Robin Williams, and I hope he's truly free of his illness and difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

His last stand up routine 1hr 30 min

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiCxqbT2Ru8

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭johnnyruane40

Robbie Williams is trending on twitter..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jebus Diced

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

RIP, one of a kind

Time to delve into my DVD collection and watch a few favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tangey99

Sh1tty...Sh1tty...Sh1tty news
    Last time I felt his shocked at a celeb dieing was MJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

RIP Robin Williams most kindest, talented man ever :(
    he was on the telly last night film with Ben Stiller I only watched it for
    Robin he was the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

RIP

This is just a fantastic scene, just shows what type of talent he had:

• Advertisement

I feel quite choked up by this. I know I didn't know him, but it feels much closer than it is.

I hate thinking of how much he was suffering to do this. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

How very sad. Dead Poets Society was one of my alltime fav movies

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dien

The sheer amount of tributes and the fact that he was pretty much universally liked is a fair testament to the man. He had his demons but he brought so much joy and happiness to so many people that his was a life well lived, even if it ended tragically. R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Im so so sad since hearing this last night, have a lump in my throat.

I unfortunately know how tormented and empty he must have been. Its your own torturous world. Deeply sad it overtook him.

The bravest thing you can do is ask for help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Great article on Cracked in response to this

Don't know if it's been posted yet

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DirtyLeeds14

R.I.P

Good Will Hunting is one of my all-time favourite films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

A sad and unfortunate end for a very entertaining man.

RIP

As an aside:

Unfortunately it generally takes some celebrity suicide to spark a sustained debate or conversation about suicide. I've first hand experience of a number of suicides (a parent included) and I couldn't seriously entertain any notions about it being brave or selfish. The people who speak about suicide in this manner couldn't possibly have personal experience with suicide.

It's irrational, inexplicable (usually) and very, very sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    As someone who has suffered with depression - and is in a bit of a low period right now, if I'm honest - it's not shocking that he killed himself, because I know what it's like to be in that position.

+1 I am going through a rough spell at the moment myself, so I can strangely empathise with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I normally couldn't get a rats arse about a celebrity death or anyone I don't know dying but when I heard this last night was very out the blue! Would of been one the last people I'd imagine this happening to.

At least he's one the rare occasions when someone this famous dies there be very few who will have a bad word to say about him!

Rightly so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

R.I.P Robin Williams. I grew up watching him. Very sorry to hear of his untimely demise. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sorry but I couldn't stand him in anything. He always was too manic and came across as a very false persona for the audience. I always tuned elsewhere when any of his stuff was on. Again sorry but I'm tired with all the items on radio and TV about him all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

Sorry but I couldn't stand him in anything. He always was too manic and came across as a very false persona for the audience. I always tuned elsewhere when any of his stuff was on. Again sorry but I'm tired with all the items on radio and TV about him all day.

You probably shouldn't have bothered coming into the thread then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I'm tired with all the items on radio and TV about him all day.

And yet felt the need to click on this thread of all the hundreds and thousands there are on the site. Weird that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The reason you're hearing so much about him is because he was so well liked and was well known for having the complete opposite of a fake persona, with people who met and worked with him citing how much of a genuinely nice and funny person he was in real life. Throughout his career that was always said of him, not just now that he's dead.

Fair enough if you didn't like him but what do you gain coming into a thread celebrating him? Why would you even bother your hole writing that then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

A huge loss.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

His jokes will live on forever :) RIP Robin

When they named a hurricane "Hurricane Ike", I went "finally, they have the balls to name a hurricane after a crack-smoking, wife-beating mother****er."

My God. We’ve had cloning in the South for years. It’s called cousins.

And some people say Jesus wasn't Jewish. Of COURSE he was Jewish! 30 years old, single, lives with his parents, come on! He works in his father's business, his mom thought he was God's gift, he's Jewish! Give it up!

I went to rehab [for alcoholism] in wine country, just to keep my options open.

Number three, you get drunk, you go out for Indian food, you wake up in Bombay with a camel licking your balls.

Keith Richards is the only man who can make the Osbornes look ****ing Amish. I've seen him going to a drug dealer who said: "I'm out, man!" "I have nothing left."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Thwip! wrote: »
    Great article on Cracked in response to this

Don't know if it's been posted yet

Ok now I'm officially bawling my eyes out. I blame the baby hormones but man that is one serious and personal article

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

There are so many items on radio and tv about him because opinions like yours are in the minority. Most people loved him and can name at least one of his films that meant a great deal to them. I don't think he had a false persona at all. He had always been honest about his struggles. Even at his most manic there was always a touch of sadness there IMO. He was a good person who helped a lot of people.

Why bother coming into a thread like this to say that? No one is forcing you to read. You can turn off the radio or tv

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Very poignant clip from Mork & Mindy, where Mork meets Robin Williams as part of Mindy's interview. Even though it's within the limits of the episode, he seems to be speaking very much from the heart, speaking about how he can't say "no" because he wants to be liked, etc....

Advertisement