Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromecast Apps Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Paully D wrote: »
    Hi all,

Can I stream directly from my laptop to the TV with this piece of kit? For example, if I'm streaming a match via Chrome browser on the laptop will it display on my TV?

Secondly, if this is possible, can I also use other tabs at the same time without them being mirrored on my TV? For example, can I have the match on my TV but browse Boards at the same time via my laptop?

Thanks. :)

Just got Chromecast and tried Sky Go using the mirroring and it's very laggy. Is there any work around with this or could anyone tell me what's wrong?

Also, XBMC works but I can't get the audio to be TV only. It comes through the laptop firstly and then through the TV with a slight delay.

Everything else seems to work OK like YouTube etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 aunty kitty

hi,

is there a way to cast a browser through an apple phone to chromecast?

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭mel123

Can I put apps on this like XBMC etc etc, or do I have to mirror everything from my phone/tablet to it??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Nope you can't put apps on it! and you probably shouldn't mention that first app. You can get those apps on your phone though and stream from them. XBMC is pretty awkward though I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭mel123

opppsss...thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Theres a new chromecast feature in the latest update that allows people connect to your chromecast without connecting to your wifi network, in case you want to have a "youtube party".

More info : http://lifehacker.com/chromecasts-guest-mode-lets-friends-cast-without-connec-1669821333

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

hmmm....wonder would this work without any network?

For example...in the out-laws for christmas. No internet and so no wifi or anything like that. Would I be able to plug in the chromecast to their tv and play stuff via plex by connecting to it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭corkie

Ludo wrote: »
    hmmm....wonder would this work without any network?

For example...in the out-laws for christmas. No internet and so no wifi or anything like that. Would I be able to plug in the chromecast to their tv and play stuff via plex by connecting to it ?

No you still need a network connected and you can not cast local media by this method!
    Does guest mode use mobile data for streaming from the guest’s phone/tablet?

No, when a mobile device connects to a Chromecast in guest mode only minimal data is used to signal to the Chromecast and the Chromecast streams content using the WiFi network its already connected to.

Does every Google Cast Ready application work with guest mode?

No, Google Cast Ready applications that send local media from your phone or tablet to the Chromecast do not work with guest mode.
    You will not see the cast icon in an unsupported application, even when you are near a Chromecast in guest mode.

More info on it here

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Chromecasting Netflix doesn't show up subtitles? I'm watching Lilyhammer and the subtitles work fine on Safari.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Chromecasting Netflix doesn't show up subtitles? I'm watching Lilyhammer and the subtitles work fine on Safari.

Was watching Lillyhammernon Chromecast the other night with no bother. Subtitles worked fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That's weird. Were you streaming from your phone by any chance?

Can't remember if I initiated the stream from phone, tablet or pc. Although shouldn't matter due to the way the chromecast works. They just tell it what to stream and it does the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Considering getting this for Xmas.

Possibly a convoluted question.

My parents have a wifi-connection that seems just a level above dial-up. It's rubbish for streaming. My question is whether I can cast something from my phone to their tv using my mobile data. In other words, is it possible to set up a mobile hotspot on your phone that chromecast will connect to and then use your own phone (android Samsung galaxy s4, unrooted) to stream the data?
    An example:

Netflix through the home wifi isn't reliable. Presumably by default if Chromecast is connected via the home wifi network it would try using that wifi network to stream and just end in a constant buffer. What ways can I avoid the shtty wifi and use my mobile data to play a movie via Play or Netflix on the tv?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I have XBMCbuntu installed on a machine does anyone know if I can use it with my chromecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lenoude

Anyone else have a problem with their laptop finding the device? Works perfect with my phone and tablet but with my laptop it says no cast devices found.
    Then when I go into options its there, very annoying. I've re installed both chrome and the extensions for it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

lenoude wrote: »
    Anyone else have a problem with their laptop finding the device? Works perfect with my phone and tablet but with my laptop it says no cast devices found.
    Then when I go into options its there, very annoying. I've re installed both chrome and the extensions for it

read somewhere - maybe this thread - to place the laptop close to the CC the first time you're trying to connect it.

that's what i done & it worked no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Turtwig wrote: »

My parents have a wifi-connection that seems just a level above dial-up. It's rubbish for streaming. My question is whether I can cast something from my phone to their tv using my mobile data. In other words, is it possible to set up a mobile hotspot on your phone that chromecast will connect to and then use your own phone (android Samsung galaxy s4, unrooted) to stream the data?
    An example:

Netflix through the home wifi isn't reliable. Presumably by default if Chromecast is connected via the home wifi network it would try using that wifi network to stream and just end in a constant buffer. What ways can I avoid the shtty wifi and use my mobile data to play a movie via Play or Netflix on the tv?

haven't tried it but, might help you
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/2cl77a/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Turtwig wrote: »

An example:

The problem with that is that they won't really be on the same "network". The phone will be on mobile data, and the Chromecast will be on the phones wifi connection. It would work with another phone or tablet connected to the hotspot which you'd then use for streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 johninho

Hi, bought a Chromecast that had a 3 month free offer for NOW TV. However, I was unable to download an iOS app to use as a "remote control" for NOW TV access on chromecast.
    I read that its only available in the UK and to change iTunes stores etc, however, I have credit on my ROI iTunes account and I can't change until I use it up.
    Surely there's an easier way to do this, or do they intend to release the app in ROI at some stage?
    I know that I can access NOW TV on my windows laptop and cast this, but using the NOW TV app seems the best way.
    Any ideas?

thanks,
    John

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Use an android device without a SIM card...i.e a wifi tablet !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

What's the best app for converting avi to mp4 so my Chromecast can see the movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

naughto wrote: »
    What's the best app for converting avi to mp4 so my Chromecast can see the movie

Use bubble upnp to play avi files direct from your device, no need to convert.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭corkie

Use bubble upnp to play avi files direct from your device, no need to convert.

+1 For BubbleUPnP - Great app!

But if you like to convert your videos in advance, I use this.

There is also handbrake!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Is it possible to connect Chromecast to an amp I have it on my telly but can't get 5.1 stereo? Sorry mods for going off topic delete if not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kleine Hundin

Hootanany wrote: »
    Is it possible to connect Chromecast to an amp I have it on my telly but can't get 5.1 stereo? Sorry mods for going off topic delete if not allowed.

If your receiver has dhmi input and supports Dolby digital plus, the format netflix uses it should work. A reboot of the chromecast may be needed for chromecast to detect the receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Cheers for that

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lenoude

lenoude wrote: »

Finally got this sorted, it turns out to be a problem with AVG but there's a workaround.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/chromecast/4VjVMUCurXg/s9UAfZCk3oQJ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Can I recommend AirWire.....

AirWire from Play Store

Info here: http://airwire.tv/

airwire.jpg

Description

AirWire allows you to enjoy listening to music, watching favorite movies, TV series, photos on a large screen of your TV set, PC, notebook, media player, game console or other devices in any part of the world if you have a smartphone or a tablet PC.

To start using AirWire, you need no additional equipment. It is enough to have a TV set connected to the Internet or a media player and access to the Internet with the data rate not less than 4 Mbit/s.

As of today, AirWire has been tested with the following devices:

• Chromecast.

• Network media players: Dune, Sony, LG, WD TV Live, Popcorn Hour, IconBit and others.

• TV sets: Samsung, LG, Sony BRAVIA, Philips, Panasonic Viera and others.

• PC/Mac media servers: Twonky, Skifta, Windows Media Player, QNAP, XBMC and others.

• Other DLNA/UPnP compatible network-attached storages and devices.

I have tested this App by casting a movie from a popular on-line source, using my Nexus 7 2013, to my DLNA-enabled LG Smart TV....

very good, as good as All Cast, for free......

It sees Chromecast also, in my Home Network, on another TV, and my Avox Reciva Internet Radio...

all via DLNA.....

this is good!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ColdTurkey

The Avg chromecast work-around worked a treat, my head was wrecked over it. Thanks people

Advertisement