Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromecast Apps Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Any new apps ??

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kleine Hundin

AerTV now offer RTE and BBC streaming via chromecast.

However to get it working for more than 10 mins you have to sign up with a 30 day free trail.

As I live aboard I have to use Smartdns but my provider doesn't support AerTV via android yet. I haven't tried the browser set up yet because I ran out of my ten minutes for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

AerTV now offer RTE and BBC streaming via chromecast.

However to get it working for more than 10 mins you have to sign up with a 30 day free trail.

As I live aboard I have to use Smartdns but my provider doesn't support AerTV via android yet. I haven't tried the browser set up yet because I ran out of my ten minutes for today.

Filmon app from the playstore also has bbc and most of the free to air UK channels for free and it is chromecast compatible.

There is live rte channels in the rte app too for free, no need to worry about trials etc. It's not chromecast compatible but if you can cast your screen you can watch it via chromecast.

I have paid subscription Zattoo which has great support for chromecast and UK TV, the free version is ad supported like Filmon

I'm not a big fan of casting a tab or mirroring, but of course it does the job when necessary. Native chromecast support usually allows for better quality streams and easier control from the sofa.

I've also started Hulu Plus. Big improvement in the quality of the streams going native support than just mirroring a tab.

I think it is great, I've gone 'legit', no more torrenting.

I'm considering getting an Amazon Fire TV. I hear sideloading the RTE Player android app works well but needs a mouse to control it. I'm all for TV on the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I have paid subscription Zattoo which has great support for chromecast and UK TV, the free version is ad supported like Filmon

I've also started Hulu Plus. Big improvement in the quality of the streams going native support than just mirroring a tab.

I think it is great, I've gone 'legit', no more torrenting.

I'm considering getting an Amazon Fire TV. I hear sideloading the RTE Player android app works well but needs a mouse to control it. I'm all for TV on the TV.

Can you get a legit Hulu Plus account outside the US? what about amazon prime? it would work with your fire TV but the same question remains, is it offered over here (Ireland) 'legit' wise with no jumping into into 3rd party websites.

Having said that I do love unblock-us and its beta offering...

• Advertisement

I live in Germany so I have German Amazon prime.

My Hulu Plus is legit as in I paid for it. My brother is the US so I paypal him some money and he gifts me a Hulu Gift card. Otherwise you need a US issue credit card. I do use a smartdns service.

Amazon TV is easier to mix apps from different regions, and you can setup a dns directly on the device so you don't have to redirect all your internet traffic (just the AFTV) to a third party. Chromecast is harder as there is a bit of technical wizardary required to get it working at the router level.

It is tempting to go for Amazon TV, the Fire TV Stick is rumoured to be coming soon to Europe. A chromecast beater?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

god's toy wrote:

how do you use it with chromecast ?

god's toy wrote: »
    Can you get a legit Hulu Plus account outside the US? what about amazon prime? it would work with your fire TV but the same question remains, is it offered over here (Ireland) 'legit' wise with no jumping into into 3rd party websites.

What's the beta offering from unblock-us?

You can get legit accounts in so far as you pay amazon full price for the pleasure of using them but you need to use a dns service to fake your location while you watch content. To sign up requires faking a foreign address and using a dns service like unblockus too.

I have not been able to make the prime app believe I'm in the US at all however & watch in the browser which is less than perfect.

tharmor wrote: »
    how do you use it with chromecast ?

Any page that can be displayed in chrome in the pc browser can be cast to chromecast.

What's the beta offering from unblock-us?

In a nutshell, it lets you pick and choose what sites you want to use from wherever you want to be from, so your proxy is not stuck rooting all your traffic from/to one place only but dynamically changing according to your set rules, you can also add rules/sites others have got working into your own profile.

http://www.netprotect.com/

They have a reddit here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Netprotect/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

god's toy wrote: »
    Any page that can be displayed in chrome in the pc browser can be cast to chromecast.

hmmm...is this true?

Try it with Sky Go. Didn't work for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Lucas Hood wrote: »

I used Videostream for the first time last night to cast a movie in mkv format. About 10 or so times during the movie, it went to 'buffering' for a few seconds before starting again - pretty annoying, given that material was already downloaded.

Is this normal behavior for people with UPC wifi router?

Ludo wrote: »
    hmmm...is this true?

Try it with Sky Go. Didn't work for me.

Have you tested this out?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/23cy1m/sky_go_fix/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

lenoude wrote: »
    Finally got this sorted, it turns out to be a problem with AVG but there's a workaround.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/chromecast/4VjVMUCurXg/s9UAfZCk3oQJ

Thank you so much, this has been pissing me off for ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 crowley2015

hey guys would someone be kind enough to post the apk of the aertv android app i live in the uk and would love to have it on my android tv box for the match 2moro , if anyone is unsure how to do it use apk extractor on the playstore then u can share it here

I use TunnelBear VPN app to access the play store for my country of choice. You may need to create an additional google account for Ireland though while connected to VPN, but with android you can have multiple accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

Was thinking of picking one up today.what's the difference between chromecast and an android dongle(box)?.
    I have an android dongle which gives me all the apps.is it worth while getting chromecast?

Any good experiences with 4OD? I tried casting tonight via the Chrome 'cast this tab' feature. The video was fairly jerky, to the point that it was a distraction. Audio was perfect. But when I run 4od app on my phone, there is no 'cast' icon to cast from there.

Are there any other options?

I have 4OD on my Nexus 10, and it detects when you try to cast. You'll get sound, no picture and message saying this feature is blocked or words to that effect.

I have 4OD on my Nexus 10, and it detects when you try to cast. You'll get sound, no picture and message saying this feature is blocked or words to that effect.

Bummer, but thanks for the update.

• Advertisement

I'm sad to say that after months of Chromecast use I find the 10 euro tv to hdmi cable I bought to watch phone content on my tv a much better investment. I can watch everything I want, battery stays a float, 4od is blocked but there's a work around if you're rooted. Overall its a 100% reliable experience which Chromecast just isn't for me. Maybe it's my wifi that lets the experience down. Do people generally find the chromecast the wonder device it's supposed to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I've two of them and they work perfectly for me. About the only annoyance is the apps on the phone that keep disconnecting although that doesn't affect the playback it just means that if I want to pause/rewind I have to reconnect the app and launch back into the play screen rather than just being able to hit pause on the notification bar or the lock screen. I really only use it with Plex, Netflix, and Youtube but I'd have several hours of content played daily on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm sad to say that after months of Chromecast use I find the 10 euro tv to hdmi cable I bought to watch phone content on my tv a much better investment. I can watch everything I want, battery stays a float, 4od is blocked but there's a work around if you're rooted. Overall its a 100% reliable experience which Chromecast just isn't for me. Maybe it's my wifi that lets the experience down. Do people generally find the chromecast the wonder device it's supposed to be?

Chromecast has no affect on your battery unless you're streaming content directly from your phone, which is not the best medium to do so anyway. Streaming from your phone via HDMI is only better battery wise because you're not heavily using WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Doesn't the screen on your phone stay on after using the cables as in screen mirroring, therefore being heavier on battery?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Doesn't the screen on your phone stay on after using the cables as in screen mirroring, therefore being heavier on battery?

Yup it does, but it's a mhl cable that is plugged into a charger so I'm not sure if it charges the phone a little while it works but last night I watched something over 2 hours, via wifi, and I lost around 5% battery during that time which was pretty good.

I didn't mean to suggest chromecast was heavy on battery btw,its not at all, I just meant the cable is equally light use in my experience so chromecast doesn't score a win over the cable on that basis.

My problems with it cutting out during locally stored media play etc might be my own wifi related, but for me the cable is just better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭bennyineire

VLC player will have chromecast support in the next release

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭corkie

New Videostream android app released as a Beta

View app screenshots on imgur: http://imgur.com/a/9B2Ll

Join the beta here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/101226031163302206151

Features:

Full library support, add a directory and we'll scan it.
    Auto-resuming your videos where you left off.
    Auto-loading subtitles.
    Change audio and subtitle tracks from the app.
    Lock-screen + Notification controls. yeah, yeah.. this shouldn't have taken this long..
    Download notifications, we'll watch newly added files to your library and notify you when they're done!
    Videostream runs in the background, no need to open it ever again, just make sure your computer is on.

Lots of magic happening here in the coming weeks! Join the beta and get all the new goodness of the new Videostream. (No longer just a stupid remote)

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭bennyineire

VLC player will have chromecast support in the next release

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/vlc-adds-chromecast-support-next-update/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I didn't know this, I'm guessing there are other WDTV Live owners that don't know too.

The YouTube app, within Android, will just see a WDTV Live media player as another casting device and cast a YouTube video to it, which will cause it to play no matter where you are on the WDTV Live interface, home screen, app, doesn't matter..

I don't have to set up anything on the WDTV, or log into my Google account etc.. YouTube just casts 'blind' to it, so long as your phone can see the WDTV as being active/switched on.

Behaves in exactly the same way as a Chromecast, supports playlists and you can also close the YouTube app on the phone, even have the phone's wifi off, doesn't matter. The videos will just continue to play on the WDTV device.

I noticed the WDTV tends to pick a better/higher bitrate for video, seems to cache a stream better, on pause, too, compared to the Chromecast.

The more you know!

02chromecastwdtv.jpg

01chromecastwdtv.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Amalgam wrote: »
    I didn't know this, I'm guessing there are other WDTV Live owners that don't know too.

The YouTube app, within Android, will just see a WDTV Live media player as another casting device and cast a YouTube video to it, which will cause it to play no matter where you are on the WDTV Live interface, home screen, app, doesn't matter..

I don't have to set up anything on the WDTV, or log into my Google account etc.. YouTube just casts 'blind' to it, so long as your phone can see the WDTV as being active/switched on.

Behaves in exactly the same way as a Chromecast, supports playlists and you can also close the YouTube app on the phone, even have the phone's wifi off, doesn't matter. The videos will just continue to play on the WDTV device.

I noticed the WDTV tends to pick a better/higher bitrate for video, seems to cache a stream better, on pause, too, compared to the Chromecast.

The more you know!

02chromecastwdtv.jpg

01chromecastwdtv.jpg

I wonder will this work with any other of the cast apps like localcast or allcast? I've a WDTV that I never use anymore cos of the chromecast

Advertisement