Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromecast Apps Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Options

Comments

Lads I cannot get localcast to work with sb anymore. Anyone having any issues?

No problem for me works fine. I find it does take a bit longer to start playing these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

localcast was auto exiting after a few seconds for me, since a couple of days ago.
    i think on the play store page they say to remove & reinsert the cc to fix.

i've just used bubbleupnp instead (with sb) though haven't bothered trying it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I may be wrong but I think the developer got his hosting site shut down. It was definitely a casting app if not this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I've tried using bubble upnp and that also hasn't work. It must be the material I'm trying to cast. Il have to go back to my mhl adapter.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

What are you trying to watch? I'll see if it works for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Working fine for me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

batistuta9 wrote: »
    localcast was auto exiting after a few seconds for me, since a couple of days ago.
    i think on the play store page they say to remove & reinsert the cc to fix.

i've just used bubbleupnp instead (with sb) though haven't bothered trying it yet

Sb is slow nowadays !! Lets hope its not closed :( !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GIMP

My Localcast disconnects within seconds too, unplugged Chromecast but it makes no difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Working fine for me.
    Sometimes I need to turn of and on the Wifi on the phone to allow localcast to see the chromecast but other than that it's all good.
    SB speeds seems to have improved for me in recent days

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Folks, I have a Chromecast on its way to me next week. Could someone of the good posters here who already have well tested it, tell me if, for instance, I cast a stream from any of the tv players from my nexus onto my tv, will the cast stream be of the same quality on the tv as it is on my Nexus. If its HD comin from the Nexus, will it be HD on the tv?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭corkie

Folks, I have a Chromecast on its way to me next week. Could someone of the good posters here who already have well tested it, tell me if, for instance, I cast a stream from any of the tv players from my nexus onto my tv, will the cast stream be of the same quality on the tv as it is on my Nexus. If its HD comin from the Nexus, will it be HD on the tv?

It will depend on the Movies your casting, if they are MP4 H264 files they will cast fine. If not you will need apps like BubbleUPnP or Plex to transcode the videos in to supported codecs. (need a PC to do that)

On another note anyone with a Nexus 7 (2012) on lollipop can you now screencast(/mirror) your device without using the mirror-enable app?

If i use the chromecast app to mirror it works but if I use the option in notifications drop down my nexus freezes!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Thanks for that, Corkie. I have'nt got Lollipop on my 2012 Nexus yet. Not too keen to try any of the leaked stuff.

Thanks for that, Corkie. I have'nt got Lollipop on my 2012 Nexus yet. Not too keen to try any of the leaked stuff.

The official links are available now. I suggest not upgrading the Nexus 7 (2012) to Lollipop at present anyway. Maybe wait until there is another lollipop update that fixes the bugs in it. Also it gives a chance for apps to be updated for it.

The screen mirroring on it keeps losing connection with the chromecast.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Does anyone know if Now TV is geo restricted, apart from the app not on the Irish store, in terms of not allowing use of an Irish credit card, or blocking usage via Chromecast via an Irish based router ala US Netflix?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Now TV is geo restricted, apart from the app not on the Irish store, in terms of not allowing use of an Irish credit card, or blocking usage via Chromecast via an Irish based router ala US Netflix?

I don't know, but I signed up today and it gave me a ROI option from the dropdown list of countries. I entered my Irish address and cc details and got no signal about non-acceptance. When I got to the final page where I had to enter 2 pin numbers, I got no option to do so. If I hit "Continue" I got thrown back to that page.

I'm not going to bother with it if I can't use Chromecast, maybe someone will be along in a while to advise. I know there's someone using it with Roku I think, don't know if they changed their DNS etc on their router in order to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I'm not going to bother with it if I can't use Chromecast, maybe someone will be along in a while to advise. I know there's someone using it with Roku I think, don't know if they changed their DNS etc on their router in order to do so.

This thread is probably the best place to find an answer to your question.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057001096&page=122

I THINK the content on the apps is geolocked and you have to change your router.
    If you buy a NowTv box sky isn't geolocked but the extra apps on it like bbc iplayer are.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kleine Hundin

Yeah, finally TED talks android app has been updated with Chromecast support.

I can use Nowtv on chromecast without any issues....i cannot play anything on my tablet but only thru casting !!

Working fine for me.
    Sometimes I need to turn of and on the Wifi on the phone to allow localcast to see the chromecast but other than that it's all good.
    SB speeds seems to have improved for me in recent days

SB speed is good during daytime but bad in evenings...

• Advertisement

tharmor wrote: »
    I can use Nowtv on chromecast without any issues....i cannot play anything on my tablet but only thru casting !!

Cool, so no messing around with your router to get it working?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Tunein radio now has Chromecast support.

Cool, so no messing around with your router to get it working?

Yes...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hi all,

Can I stream directly from my laptop to the TV with this piece of kit? For example, if I'm streaming a match via Chrome browser on the laptop will it display on my TV?

Secondly, if this is possible, can I also use other tabs at the same time without them being mirrored on my TV? For example, can I have the match on my TV but browse Boards at the same time via my laptop?

Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Paully D wrote: »
    Hi all,

Can I stream directly from my laptop to the TV with this piece of kit? For example, if I'm streaming a match via Chrome browser on the laptop will it display on my TV?

Secondly, if this is possible, can I also use other tabs at the same time without them being mirrored on my TV? For example, can I have the match on my TV but browse Boards at the same time via my laptop?

Thanks. :)

You can stream from the browser, but i'm not sure about tab switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭droidman123

you can only cast from your laptop using chrome,so if you streamed to your tv from chrome you could then open a new tab with internet explorer and watch something different on your laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

you can only cast from your laptop using chrome,so if you streamed to your tv from chrome you could then open a new tab with internet explorer and watch something different on your laptop.
    Or just another tab in chrome... 1 tab is cast, but you can switch around as you like within chrome on your computer without it affecting your chromecast. You're free to do what you like with the rest of your tabs...

There's never a reason to use Internet Explorer!! :eek: :p
    Paully D wrote: »
    To give you a definite answer.

Yes, you can do this no problem. I do it all the time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I thought non Youtube videos cast from tabs on chrome browser can look pretty patchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

What's the handiest way to transcode on the fly to h264 mp4 so my videos won't stutter? I don't have a machine capable of running a plex server (laptop is 512mb ram single core Pentium 4) but my phone is a quad core htc m8 so can cast no bother just the chromecast struggles with HD mkv files

• Advertisement

DRice wrote: »
    What's the handiest way to transcode on the fly to h264 mp4 so my videos won't stutter? I don't have a machine capable of running a plex server (laptop is 512mb ram single core Pentium 4) but my phone is a quad core htc m8 so can cast no bother just the chromecast struggles with HD mkv files

Have you tried BubbleUPnP and its windows server on your laptop?

Advertisement