Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromecast Apps Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sheepeater

Ty

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

sheepeater wrote: »
    where you think i should talk about this? im really interested in gathering infotmation.

Ty and sorry if im in the wrong topic.

Should i create one?

Ty

Best Regards

Sorry dude, wasn't sniping at ya, it was a genuine question. something i'd be interested in myself tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sheepeater

Np,

im really interrested in this topic. i allready created one ;)

TY

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭corkie

Chromecast Firmware 1.16.44433 (1st Gen)

Now available! Anyone else get it, googling didn't find a changelog but reddit reports it now supports spotify?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭petejmk

Channel 4's All4 app now working with chromecast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

petejmk wrote: »

Fantastic. Cheers for the heads up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Is it geo locked?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭petejmk

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Is it geo locked?

Nope but does have ads

The ads don't bother me too much with All4 because, realistically, they don't last anywhere near as long as they do on the TV. Delighted that they finally support Chromecast - never understood their indifference to this, despite the fact they stream to Apple TV ...

EDIT:

Went to test it and from what I can tell, some content can be streamed, some cannot. I tried Four Rooms, which wasn't able to, but Four in a Bed worked.

Later episodes of Four Rooms worked. Not sure why recent ones wouldn't.

Use chrome to chromecast without the extension.

The chromium team is currently experimenting in Beta Channel with casting tabs without the Google Cast extension installed thanks to the new Media Router¹.

By simply enabling the experimental flag "Media Router" at chrome://flags/#media-router, the Google Cast extension will be disabled and you'll be able to right click on a page and see a new "Cast..." menu (also available in the Chrome menu and in the redesigned Extension Toolbar²).
    Toggling off the flag will re-enable the Google Cast extension.
    it is also available in stable channel. Trust, me I have it on right now :) Except it is named differently chrome://flags/#enable-media-router

Taken from here

Tested on both stable and canary versions. Some extensions like videostream will need to be update to reflect this change.

Also reported here

Future versions of Chrome will have Chromecast support built-in

And

Native, Extension-Less Casting Is Currently In Development For Google Chrome

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

Quick question:

My boyfriend has a purchased Sky Sports Mobile TV subscription and bought a Chromecast yesterday in order to stream the playback to our home television in order to watch matches. The "cast screen" Option via the Chromecast app consistently freezes (not only with the Sky playback, but just in general. It happened when I was playing angry birds too).

Is there an app recommended for this instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Sky don't play nice with Chromecast

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

Sky don't play nice with Chromecast

I'd he'd known that he would never have gone for Chromecast. He got a HDTV adaptor that also doesn't work, so he's just about at the end of his tether with it all at this stage I think. Somehow we've got it working for now, but it's quite temperamental..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Sky have all bases covered with mobile apps not playing nice with up scaling to a TV, you'll never find an acceptable solution for this.

Sky don't want people using their mobile services on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Sky have all bases covered with mobile apps not playing nice with up scaling to a TV, you'll never find an acceptable solution for this.

Sky don't want people using their mobile services on TV

best thing ever to happen was windows allowing screen extension on wi-fi works perfectly with sky go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Don't stream it from a mobile tablet phone etc as it will be streaming twice over your wireless, once from the internet when you stream it, then a second time while you cast the screen. It's better to use a laptop connected by Ethernet, then just cast to Chromecast over wireless.

Games are very CPU intensive, many devices struggle to cast a game smoothly while playing as they are nearly maxing the CPU with just the game, casting to a screen becomes a step too far

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Games are very CPU intensive, many devices struggle to cast a game smoothly while playing as they are nearly maxing the CPU with just the game, casting to a screen becomes a step too far

That depends.

With hardware support and the right software you can stream with almost no overhead, the cards inbuilt 264 encoder will do with 1 Watt what a CPU can do with 40W. Just try recording your screen with Fraps then use Afterburners integrated recorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Has anyone here come across the Brain Freeze error? Basically, media will stop playing, the screen will show a error message saying brain freeze, and then the chromecast will reboot. I'm sure its down to the fact I've started casting local media from plex on a new device where it would be a direct stream rather than transcoded specifically for the chromecast, just odd that it'd crash after ~90 minutes but if its anything under an hour it seems to be fine - even when multiple hours of content are played in quick succession. I had thought it might be overheating or something like that but after it happened tonight it didn't feel noticeably hotter than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭PeteSco

I find chromecast to have too few codecs supported, I can play videos on my phone but I can't stream them to chromecast, which makes it useless..

PeteSco wrote: »
    I find chromecast to have too few codecs supported, I can play videos on my phone but I can't stream them to chromecast, which makes it useless..

Get an app such as BubbleUPnP that can transcode videos to supported format.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭PeteSco

corkie wrote: »
    Get an app such as BubbleUPnP that can transcode videos to supported format.

But BubbleUPnP isn't totally free, correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Sneachta

mightyreds wrote: »
    best thing ever to happen was windows allowing screen extension on wi-fi works perfectly with sky go

Tell me more....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

petejmk wrote: »

is all4 still working on chromecast

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Used All4 last month to catch up on Deutschland 83 twas fine.........

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Used All4 last month to catch up on Deutschland 83 twas fine.........

Do you need to register with a UK postcode?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Discodog wrote: »
    Do you need to register with a UK postcode?

No it's fully available to Ireland.

Control Chromecast with Google Assistant!

[Praise Slow Google] It's now possible to control Chromecast music and TV playback from your phone's Assistant, not just Google Home

^^^ Tested earlier today, was able to pause and resume with verbal commands.

Sorry for bumping an Outdated sticky thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Has anyone else been getting delays in audio/video with their Chromecast? I'm using an S7 and an S8 and it's regularly out of sync. Broadband is Virgin Media and it's a 2nd generation Chromecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭steve_r

Any apps in particular? I had issues with Videostream so I switched to Soda player on PC.

No issues on casting android to chromecast 1 (on Virgin media) and from android to Chromecast 2 (other broadband provider)

• Advertisement

steve_r wrote: »
    Any apps in particular? I had issues with Videostream so I switched to Soda player on PC.

No issues on casting android to chromecast 1 (on Virgin media) and from android to Chromecast 2 (other broadband provider)

Thanks for mentioning Soda Player, another alternative app to use. It even found embed subtitles that BubbleUPnP/VideoStream failed to find.

Subtitles maybe sourced from the Net, not embed as I thought, no way to tell which in use.

I was hoping it would work for badly encoded .mkv videos that the other apps had problems with. But unfortunately it didn't work.

I reset my rooter and it worked without problems.

So much for VLC, suppose to have support coming for it, I tried a nightly but it didn't work.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/269272/how-to-stream-from-vlc-to-your-chromecast/

Advertisement