Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromecast Apps Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Is there a better way to watch XBMC on chromecast, currently screen mirroring from phone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

scudzilla wrote:
    Is there a better way to watch XBMC on chromecast, currently screen mirroring from phone

Nopes u can try config.xml update method but most of the streams don't play as they r not supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭corkie

My Chromecast just updated to Firmware 27946

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

The Chromecast can do a lot, but until today, you needed your smartphone to control what you're watching. If your TV has HDMI-CEC support, though, you can now use your existing TV remote to play or pause videos.

http://lifehacker.com/your-tv-remote-can-now-control-your-chromecast-1691813548

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Lads, I use Hola unblocker to watch American Netflix.

When I try to watch any American program via Chromecast my TV shows an endless Netflix logo with 3 dots underneath.

When I use the American netflix to watch a program available on Irish netflix it plays on same TV no problem.

Any idea how to work around?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

keano25 wrote: »
    Lads, I use Hola unblocker to watch American Netflix.

When I try to watch any American program via Chromecast my TV shows an endless Netflix logo with 3 dots underneath.

When I use the American netflix to watch a program available on Irish netflix it plays on same TV no problem.

Any idea how to work around?

Thanks

Wont work. DNS hard coded into the chromecast so itll only be able to access shows available on the UK one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Ah I see. Anything similar to chromecast that doesn't have DNS built in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

If you change the DNS settings on your router, would it make a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

keano25 wrote: »
    Ah I see. Anything similar to chromecast that doesn't have DNS built in?

Have the same issue as yourself. I was wondering if anybody could answer your question? I have heard that you can fix the problem by altering the DNS on the router, but wouldn't be very gifted technologically and I live with a few others and would be worried about causing issues with accessing non-US content.

So, can anybody recommend something similar to Chromecast that you can watch the American Netflix through?

Google I/O - No chromcast version 2 - New features for current!

Autoplay, queuing, second screen and multiplayer gaming comes to the Chromecast

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

How to use chromecast to stream local media when you have no access to wireless internet. Could be very handy with summer holidays coming up and when staying away from home.

http://lifehacker.com/stream-local-media-to-a-chromecast-without-an-internet-1709666323

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭SummerRebel

Anyone use a bluetooth keyboard/mouse and cast their screen onto the TV? And use their phone like a mini computer??

Something I'm thinking of doing, but would like a recommendation on keyboards/mouses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Anyone use a bluetooth keyboard/mouse and cast their screen onto the TV? And use their phone like a mini computer??

Something I'm thinking of doing, but would like a recommendation on keyboards/mouses.

I have this one,I find it good, saying that I do not use it anymore but only because I use Plex and I use the app on my phone.

"90 days of unlimited music for free with Deezer Premium+"

Check you offers in chrome with this link make sure your chromecast is on.

I'm on limited broadband data, so this offer is not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

DivX player for Windows directly supports Chromecast in its latest version. Probably depends on your machine but it seems to work very well with a great quality picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭steve_r

ThisRegard wrote: »
    DivX player for Windows directly supports Chromecast in its latest version. Probably depends on your machine but it seems to work very well with a great quality picture.

Excuse the dumbass question, so you just load up Divx player as you would say, VLC, and chromecast from there?

I use videostream, it's very good but it's slow to get everything sorted in chrome

You'll see a media share button on the bottom right when playing a vid, and the chromecast should appear in the pop up list. You'll be prompted to turn on media sharing if it's not already done.

However after messing around I'm not sure of its advantages over Videostream, particularly as that now has a good android app as a remote control. DivX also opens a chrome page in order to stream anyway. Plus I found Videostream played some vids that DivX complained about not having the right audio plug ins for.

Worth a mess around with though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭steve_r

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You'll see a media share button on the bottom right when playing a vid, and the chromecast should appear in the pop up list. You'll be prompted to turn on media sharing if it's not already done.

However after messing around I'm not sure of its advantages over Videostream, particularly as that now has a good android app as a remote control. DivX also opens a chrome page in order to stream anyway. Plus I found Videostream played some vids that DivX complained about not having the right audio plug ins for.

Worth a mess around with though.

Yeah I'll definitely give it a go thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Can anyone recommend a casting app for live streams direct from chrome. Have been using cast2tv but its gone downhill since their latest updates. Thanks

• Advertisement

Check your chromecast offers, there maybe a free movie rental in there!

Get a free movie rental from Google to celebrate Chromecast’s second birthday
    It should be noted that Google does have some restrictions in place for the number of free movie rentals you claim on your Google account. So, depending on how many offers you’ve already claimed, you might not be able to take advantage of this deal.

I checked and didn't get the offer! Maybe US only for now or I have used up all my free movies om my account!

Anyone else get an offer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

corkie wrote: »
    Check your chromecast offers, there maybe a free movie rental in there!

Get a free movie rental from Google to celebrate Chromecast’s second birthday

I checked and didn't get the offer! Maybe US only for now or I have used up all my free movies om my account!

Anyone else get an offer?

Us only mate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Us only mate

Just youse.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Chromecast 2 to be announced at the end of the month.

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/next-gen-chromecast-to-be-announced-later-this-month-1304545
    The upgraded media-streaming device is set to include improved Wi-Fi, support for content feeds, a new feature called 'Fast Play', which the report speculates will enable faster connections and content access, and Chromecast Audio.

Not to be confused with Google Cast for Audio, it's thought that Chromecast Audio will enable the device to be plugged directly into any speaker system via an auxiliary chord, while also delivering multi-room support.

Exactly what all these new features amount to remains unclear, but with a Google event scheduled for September 29 we won't have to wait long to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

And there is it.

Same price @ €39.99 which is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sheepeater

guys the new 5.95.5 version for OPenElec is out. try it out.

its fantastic. tell me about your experience.

Ty

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

sheepeater wrote: »
    guys the new 5.95.5 version for OPenElec is out. try it out.

its fantastic. tell me about your experience.

Ty

I'm confused. What has this to do with Chromecast?

Probably better suited to this thread, the cast option has been added to Google photos recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sheepeater

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I'm confused. What has this to do with Chromecast?

where you think i should talk about this? im really interested in gathering infotmation.

Ty and sorry if im in the wrong topic.

Should i create one?

Ty

Best Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

sheepeater wrote: »
    where you think i should talk about this? im really interested in gathering infotmation.

Ty and sorry if im in the wrong topic.

Should i create one?

Ty

Best Regards

Openelec would be suited to HTPC & Media Centre more

Advertisement