Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

I find it fascinating that it can be -15 in Athlone and yet 9 degrees "warmer" 40-50 miles away.

If you watch the weather forecast in the video I posted, it's because of the northeasterly wind blowing snow showers onto the east coast (along with the warming effect of the sea). Also, snowfields cause the temperature to drop significantly lower than normals clear nights in Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

England going to break Halloween day temperature record tomorrow, could hit 22c in parts of the southeast!

It feels warmer here tonight than 95% of summer days in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Big changes on the way though from Sunday. You will certainly feel the difference over there with single digit temperatures and a keen breeze off the north sea!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 quantumphysics

Something tells me this year will be one to match 2010/2011, loads of signs around, extremely mild summer and autumn, 20 degrees on Halloween? Reminds me a lot of 2010 and 2009
    Some might say this warm weather is a sign of a mild winter ahead but the warmer it will become just reminds me how much of a monster this winter will be, by December it'll be a siberian airflow with record breaking cold unlike anything we've seen in 2010/2011, no I don't work for the Express nor the Daily Mail but the past few days from being outside I can just sense it, watch this space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Something tells me this year will be one to match 2010/2011, loads of signs around, extremely mild summer and autumn, 20 degrees on Halloween? Reminds me a lot of 2010 and 2009
    Some might say this warm weather is a sign of a mild winter ahead but the warmer it will become just reminds me how much of a monster this winter will be, by December it'll be a siberian airflow with record breaking cold unlike anything we've seen in 2010/2011, no I don't work for the Express nor the Daily Mail but the past few days from being outside I can just sense it, watch this space.
    And you base all this on a hunch, I sense we're going to have a very mild winter because we mostly do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 quantumphysics

I take it some people here don't like a harmless ramp, have a bit of faith people! anything can happen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I suppose there could be something to it, in that the overall northern hemisphere pattern that allows the mild weather here to happen in autumn feeds back in some kind of way that increases the chances of a more blocked winter, which increases the chances of a cold winter here. Maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I take it some people here don't like a harmless ramp, have a bit of faith people! anything can happen

Thrres no such thing as a 'harmless' ramp

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

Here wet your appetite on this Oct 2010 was very warm at the start of the month with temp at 17/18 C. and we all know what happened in the following months :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

My neighbour once threw his tv through the window because he claimed the weatherman kept winking at his wife. Mr Fleming I presume. I know this has nothing to do with anything really just thought I'd share lol

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Did mt do his winter forecast yet guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Did mt do his winter forecast yet guys?

Yeah, check a few pages back. He posted it about 2 weeks ago iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I hope for a bit of snow this year as my niece is that age when snow is a magical thing. I think she is going for the world record in watching Frozen and loves the talking snowman so I said to her if it snows we will build one just like him. The look of delight of her face was heartwarming.

I just hope I didn't dig a hole for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭elecktras weather bomb

I remember trick or treating with the kids OCT 2010. like that was extremely mild . I will never forget the rolling thunder the night or dawn should I say that the weather broke. if that happens this year I would nearly go as far to say ............game on. I have bought zero for a snow event this year...... so we shall probably get deluged in it.

I'll stick my neck out and say I think there's a good chance we'll see a proper cold spell at some stage this winter. When you look at the combination of the Eurasian snowcover index, this new OPI index, the expected easterly QBO and weak ENSO signal then I think the chances are we'll see periods of northern blocking this winter, and while that doesn't always mean cold for Ireland, it definitely helps.

We'll see how the strat behaves in November then as we come towards the end of the autumn we'll see if anything interesting starts popping up in FI on the models. Very early days yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The problem is that even if everything theoretically was going to plan, and some of the building blocks are there for cold no doubt, we could still end up for example with a westerly based -NAO which conceivably could give us the mildest winter on record. The variables are so unstable and numerous in this part of the world that no real accuracy is possible.

One very noticeable difference to last year, and the OPI reflects this, is a drought of extra tropical depressions and a more amplified and distorted jet stream thus far. We are far from seeing the really cold air pumping out of Canada providing that extra energy in the north Atlantic. The core PV unlike last year is disjointed and disfigured thus far. The Atlantic is relatively quiet and seeing it as the force it was last winter this year seems very unlikely at this stage.

But like I say some of the pieces are there and you never know.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I generally always hope we get a white winter (and to a lesser extent the cold that comes with it), for me, it's just something magical about seeing everything covered in snow, it's like the whole place has been whitewashed.

If there was any winter however that I want it to be mild, it's this winter, as we are expecting our first child in mid January, so I definitely do not want to see snow, or an extended cold patch.

I've a feeling though it will be similar to the winter (81/82) I was born, and be a cold snowy one (so I keep getting told anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

It's no joke bringing your first born home from the hospital in the car when the roads are covered in snow!

Terror!

It's no joke bringing your first born home from the hospital in the car when the roads are covered in snow!

Terror!

Absolutely dreading it if it happens.

And, just when things couldn't of got any worse, I drive a rear wheel drive car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

The problem is that even if everything theoretically was going to plan, and some of the building blocks are there for cold no doubt, we could still end up for example with a westerly based -NAO which conceivably could give us the mildest winter on record. The variables are so unstable and numerous in this part of the world that no real accuracy is possible.

One very noticeable difference to last year, and the OPI reflects this, is a drought of extra tropical depressions and a more amplified and distorted jet stream thus far. We are far from seeing the really cold air pumping out of Canada providing that extra energy in the north Atlantic. The core PV unlike last year is disjointed and disfigured thus far. The Atlantic is relatively quiet and seeing it as the force it was last winter this year seems very unlikely at this stage.

But like I say some of the pieces are there and you never know.

Agree especially regarding the disjointed PV. Whilst last year it was on steroids, this year it is on tranquilizer. Now there is still time for it to start spinning like mad, but at this stage one cannot ignore the positive signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Why is the neutral or weak El Nino ENSO considered a good thing for those who want snow? If you think about the massive snow event in November / December 2010, wasn't that a strong La Nina year? And the previous winter as well, end '09?

Obviously not saying there's a correlation, I just find it odd that everyone is talking about the current ENSO status as if it's a good sign for snow lovers, when (as far as I remember) it was swinging very strongly in the opposite direction (strong La Nina) during the two most recent snowy winters O_o

Why is the neutral or weak El Nino ENSO considered a good thing for those who want snow? If you think about the massive snow event in November / December 2010, wasn't that a strong La Nina year? And the previous winter as well, end '09?

Obviously not saying there's a correlation, I just find it odd that everyone is talking about the current ENSO status as if it's a good sign for snow lovers, when (as far as I remember) it was swinging very strongly in the opposite direction (strong La Nina) during the two most recent snowy winters O_o

Years with weak El Nino's and easterly QBO's have often had -AO winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Terror!

That's what I'm afraid of, my girlfriend is due on Xmas day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

That's what I'm afraid of, my girlfriend is due on Xmas day.

Bit of a bonus as well though, there'll be almost no traffic on the roads.
    Hope all goes well, try to prepare for anything (might not hurt to see if there's any neighbours or anything with decent 4x4's?)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

If there was any winter however that I want it to be mild, it's this winter, as we are expecting our first child in mid January, so I definitely do not want to see snow, or an extended cold patch.

6th of January is the due date for our first so hoping for a mild spell around then too! Enjoying the updates so far as every year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

wexie wrote: »
    Bit of a bonus as well though, there'll be almost no traffic on the roads.
    Hope all goes well, try to prepare for anything (might not hurt to see if there's any neighbours or anything with decent 4x4's?)

Thanks, I'm just hoping the snow's not too deep and labour isn't too advanced. My car (Prius) is known for its crap snow handling abilities too, oh well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

On the balance of probabilities, you'll be grand, this is Ireland, not Alaska.

If the weather looks like it will be bad a few days before the due date, I'd even consider renting a better equipped car for the snow, I have a ton of Hertz points, so might just use them and not take the chance!

we're due the 9th January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Is this the baby forum now and not weather :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement