Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

highdef wrote: »
    .............with a very similar scenario with what looks like some sort of polar low moving in a N - S direction right through the country........... !!

:-O!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ECM is ok, this folds quickly enough but it is about trends and we can work with this

Recm1681.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Lucreto wrote:
    Once it melts gets cold again and more snow.

Actually that is what happened when I lived in Korea. Sticks for 3days, melts a bit and snows a bit again a few days later. Similar to their summer of 3 rainy days and 4 sunny clear days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

gugsy wrote: »
    14110412_2912.gif

Snow is could be coming

Fixed that for ya :P

ECM says no folks , and we all no which is , for now anyways , the more reliable one.

Will be an interesting few days of model watching none the less :)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

^^^^^^^ its the excited part me thinking it will come and the head knowing it prob wont.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that situation would produce little or nothing for us in Leinster, bit early in the season anyway for something decent. We have potentially mid November-early March all to play for and then ninja snow chances all the way to end of April

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Gonzo wrote: »
    that situation would produce little or nothing for us in Leinster, bit early in the season anyway for something decent. We have potentially mid November-early March all to play for and then ninja snow chances all the way to end of April

Doesn't look too bad for Leinster ;)

150-574PUK.GIF?29-12

What the CFS was showing back on the 9th ....

324585.png

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Rikand wrote: »
    Doesn't look too bad for Leinster ;)

150-574PUK.GIF?29-12

Do my eyes deceive me? Snow for CORK?! :D

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

From met.ie: "Early indications suggest that Wednesday is likely to be cool and mostly dry, but mild and unsettled weather will return after midweek"

:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

leahyl wrote: »
    From met.ie: "Early indications suggest that Wednesday is likely to be cool and mostly dry, but mild and unsettled weather will return after midweek"

:(:(

Yep, must have been the Eagle preparing yesterdays teaser forecast and Gerry Murphy on today....

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Its cold up North

Same rehashed story. Exacta sensationalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

yorlum11 wrote: »
    Same rehashed story. Exacta sensationalism.

Unlike this thread which is iced into cold hard facts?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Unlike this thread which is iced into cold hard facts?

This thread has opinions and analysis

Exacta "forecasts" only contain sensationalism to make money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Well I must say that I am impressed by snow cover over Eurasia. 2014 falls into the top three years snow cover wise (as well as 2009, 1976). Last year also saw good snow cover, however this was offset by a large melt around this period. Hopefully we will see some Siberian high action later on in the season. For those that don't know, high snow cover over Siberia during October is linked to a higher likely hood of Arctic blocking during the winter season.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

There is currenty a fight between a high over the Azores and the lows coming from Greenland on the model after the 6th nov. Who'll win out?

Just imagine this was the forecast for tonight

rtemap.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭pad199207

Iancar29 wrote: »

rtemap.png

That should be framed and hung on the boards wall!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Anyone know the date of that forecast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

rtemap.png

I think this thread would explode if this happened again!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The colder weather for the beginning of next week is looking more benign since yesterday with little risk of wintry weather aside from some night time frosts. Of far more interest is the huge amplification and distortion of the jet stream in to mid November being progged on some of the models particularly the GFS and ECM. A lot of the ingredients for a really cold second half of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

That picture is from The Journal and they must have got it from this YouTube video because I just happened to stumble upon it whilst searching Met Eireann weather forecasts:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Anyone know the date of that forecast?

Dec 21 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I just read this article here, sums up the op pretty nicely. But i heard the same thing before too

mod9maple wrote: »
    Dec 21 2010.

And nice to watch it unfold here ... Just look at that Greeny high!
    Oh the memories :rolleyes:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?jour=10&mois=12&annee=2010&heure=6&archive=1&mode=0&ech=6&carte=0

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

mod9maple wrote: »
    Dec 21 2010.

I remember it well, I was working out in Greece in November/December that year, and finished up the day before the weather got bad. I had a flight to go home via Heathrow (which ended up being closed, and my flight was cancelled).

The weekend before though, I'd come home via Zurich for 2 days and remembered how well they were set up to deal with snow. so once it was looking my flight to Heathrow was canned, I immediately booked a flight home via Zurich again. Got into Dublin on the 20th, and the following day, most of Europe's airports were closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I just read this article here, sums up the op pretty nicely. But i heard the same thing before too

This has probably been repeated a million times already, but whenever you see an article with Madden being quoted you are better off cleansing it from your memory. Let's just say he forecast ice floes for the UK coast last winter, I'm not even joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

nice hah

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

rtemap.png

I find it fascinating that it can be -15 in Athlone and yet 9 degrees "warmer" 40-50 miles away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement