Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

Sparks wrote: »
    What was the final OPI, out of interest, or did they not report that before the site went to it's "Give us a minute, we're doing the final numbers" page?

I understand that the OPI results will be released some point this week, I was just thinking the same thing myself.

BTW, Most of the good\weak PV disucssions is around FI time frames, but the models are consistent, that's a great start.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Sparks wrote: »
    What was the final OPI, out of interest, or did they not report that before the site went to it's "Give us a minute, we're doing the final numbers" page?

The last number was -2.1 so I'm guessing that will be the final number but I don't know for sure. I think they are releasing their forecast on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Okay so a disturbed Polar Vortex is relatively unusual for November and so is worth watching to see if it develops properly and if it does where it sets up. If its very strong as it was last November and winter it means all the cold air gets bottled up over the Arctic and maked it very hard for a cold spell to develop for Ireland.

Last year ~

ECH1-72.GIF?00

This year~

gfsnh-0-120.png?6?12

In simplistic terms when it is split up in different chunks and absent from Greenland then this raises the chances of northern blocking developing which if sets up in certain positions can deliver cold weather+snow to Ireland..

Dan

@Maquiladora

Do you have an point of view, regarding why allot of the LRF'S have gone for a mild to normal range temperature\weather this winter for Ireland, Allot of the fringe KPI'S have gone for the opposite way, like snow cover of russia, weak PV, weak zonal winds, allot of sea ice, low solar activity, OPI etc..

Just asking if you would like to share. :)

@Maquiladora

Do you have an point of view, regarding why allot of the LRF'S have gone for a mild to normal range temperature\weather this winter for Ireland, Allot of the fringe KPI'S have gone for the opposite way, like snow cover of russia, weak PV, weak zonal winds, allot of sea ice, low solar activity, OPI etc..

Just asking if you would like to share. :)

I haven't really read any long range forecasts to be honest. Last time I heard, most if not all of the seasonal computer models were predicting a mild winter for these parts so maybe it's based on that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭arctictree

Some cold charts appearing on the latest GFS. Might be a bit early for snow but who knows?!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Looking at some archives from November 2010 on Meteociel, the polar vortex didn't start showing those signs of disruption until much later in the month. Unfortunately the corresponding charts from the other major snow event of late December '09 / January '10 are missing, so can't make any comparisons there, but these are all good signs, even if not actual harbringers just yet. :D

Looking at some archives from November 2010 on Meteociel, the polar vortex didn't start showing those signs of disruption until much later in the month. Unfortunately the corresponding charts from the other major snow event of late December '09 / January '10 are missing, so can't make any comparisons there, but these are all good signs, even if not actual harbringers just yet. :D

I found this over on the Netweather site. I think it helps.

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/clisys/figures/db_hist_mon_tcc.html

• Registered Users Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

HighLine wrote: »
    Had a look through the following December 2010 thread (yes, I was bored :D )recently... made for fairly epic reading. Over a million views and guys talking feet of snow rather than inches!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056120994

I'm on page 28 and it is still the 16th of December, the day the thread was started. Madness! I hope we get something like that again!

I'm set up on 40 posts per page too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well, this could be interesting.....

Good longer term trends. PV not being given much of a chance on latest runs.

Recm1441.gif

ECH1-168.GIF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

No Pv forming, likely a very low OPI and a AO index that looks like its about to nosedive = Brilliant model watching and very encouraging signs for the coming winter if you like cold weather. A lot of similarities to 09/10 this year already. The 12z Gem chart at day 10 was showing an unbelievable high pressure anomaly to our north over Greenland.. Im expecting more charts like that to start appearing in FI from now on... :)

Dan

Well now...

9hzvSt4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

When it appears for another 3 days I'll raise an eyebrow.

How about reviving the F.I. Charts thread for this Winter? Or include in the title of this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flynny50

Larbre34 wrote: »
    When it appears for another 3 days I'll raise an eyebrow.

What does it predict exactly!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Larbre34 wrote: »

How about reviving the F.I. Charts thread for this Winter? Or include in the title of this one?

We have a winter 2014/15 chart thread but no one's posting in it ...

Lumi wrote: »
    We have a winter 2014/15 chart thread but no one's posting in it ...

It's still autumn. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

So it is - thread duly edited:D

What's this Autumn chart doing in the 'Snow this Winter' thread btw :P

Lumi wrote: »
    So it is - thread duly edited:D

What's this Autumn chart doing in the 'Snow this Winter' thread btw :P

:P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

November, the first month of winter...

RobertKK wrote: »
    November, the first month of winter...

December, January, February is the meteorological winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

.... and will be for another three and a half weeks!
    Some of the ramping on Netweather at the moment is farcical.
    Looking out the window now I can see an ash tree still as green as it was in July and the dahlias still blooming, I'm not even thinking about winter at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

December, January, February is the meteorological winter.

Well for me winter is near 4 months from an agricultural viewpoint. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

Some of the ramping on Netweather at the moment is farcical. Looking out the window now I can see an ash tree still as green as it was in July and the dahlias still blooming, I'm not even thinking about winter at the moment.

Just FYI for next Spring - "If you can see thru’ the ash tree that you can still sow spuds"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

I wore gloves when I went out to the shops today. There's definitely snow in that air :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Their weather forecast is more wrong than below.

Wrong-Best-Demotivational-poster.jpg

*Only because it does not provide my snow fix for winter* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭jeanrose770

Then get those chains on your tires!
    Im expecting a lot of sunshine this winter, snowing those sunbeams.
    You know what they say, Location Location Location.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

BBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:mad:

I was looking at last year hoping they were miles off

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/europe-winter-forecast-warmer/19131940

They were not:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Mild weather stretching into next week.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

The PV continues to be fragmented according to the most recent model outputs, but posters should bear in mind that this doesn't mean any severe cold is guaranteed to come our way anytime soon. The current outlook appears to be fairly normal weather for this part of the world for the foreseeable future, indeed we shouldn't expect any exceptionally cold weather until late November/December at the earliest.

Who would want cold weather this early anyway! Come the end of December onwards, however, then we would be in for a treat! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement