Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,286 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Most of the complaints I saw about Kingpin in Hawkeye was that Kate Bishop was able to beat him, which made him look weak.

Even though he got hit by a car, knocked through a brick wall, and then got knocked out by an exploding arrow which if I remember right, exploded right in his face and threw him across the room. And that was all while Kingpin was flinging Kate across the room like a ragdoll.

Kate Bishop hit him with far more than Daredevil ever did and Kingpin still managed to escape before Echo found him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Yep, I think that daredevil world has more visceral and realistic violence so character limits are much lower. But also tends to hit much harder on the viewer. Imho, they'd be a lot wiser to limit action sequences from the likes of Kingpin or Daredevil in the child friendly properties cause it's a bit universe breaking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It was also jarring that suddenly the guy could take so much insane punishment in the first place; I can't remember is comics Kingpin a mutant or just an insanely big guy? Cos even the Jack Reacher show stopped short at the title character brushing off a car hitting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,247 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think the whole thing of Kingpin has always been that he looks fat and overweight, but really he's just insanely muscular underneath. I don't think he has any sort of powers or abilities though.

But yeah, Daredevil beat him by punching him in the face a few times, but Kate Bishop beating him after he's been hit by a car, knocked through a brick wall and being thrown across the room by an exploding arrow apparently makes him look weak because Kate Bishop is a young girl and not a fighter like Daredevil.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As based as it was on a comic run, my main offence about Hawkeye Kingpin revolved around that horrible Hawaiian shirt he was wearing 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Hawkeye was always going to be a fairly harmless Christmas/Holiday romp and I enjoyed it for that. Falcon and the Winter solider was not PG but did cut back on the gore. Compare the shield decapitation with the car door from Daredevil. There's room for comic adventures for all ages, including R rated.

The Blip must have erased his tailor for 5 years

I think Hawkeye was more than that n' all: it made a really good attempt to address the mental, emotional toll being a hero involves. Nothing overwrought but just a really solid shakedown of the pressures - and fallout - of being a superhero.

The little touch of making Clint deaf, and requiring a hearing aid, was a masterstroke; the scene where his youngest son talks to him on the phone - but he can't hear - was genuinely heartbreaking stuff as Jeremy Renner's face cracked and kept the tears back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

For me, the villains are always the best part of comic books, Batman is probably the best example of this but it goes across most characters, I don't see the need for the main villain to be central to all movies.

• Phase 1 - introduction with Loki as the big bad, Thanos in the background
    • Phase 2 - Hydra as the baddie with Thanos still in the background
    • Phase 3 - Internal struggle with Thanos coming out of the background

Now they have painted themselves where the last baddie was able to take out half the universe and wield a weapon that killed Iron Man when he used it, their next baddie either has to be as powerful or be a master of puppets, maybe the likes of Magneto could be setup

• Advertisement

Magneto is very hard to go full villain a la Thanos.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The best villains are the ones that have a point, Thanos wasn't wrong after all.

Or as I like to phrase it: good villains think they're the hero in their own story. Nobody in life is evil as such; greedy or venal sure - but rarely straight out evil and they're more often doing what they think is right.

Thanos was a díckhead but he also genuinely believed he was doing good; he didn't even wanna rule the remaining 50% of the universe - he just fecked off to start a farm after he snapped his fingers.

Cap talking about whales in the Hudson and quesioning whether he was right or not was a great small detail

In real life, I do have to wonder about Donald Trump, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Matt Gaetz et ál. How could they ever delude themselves into thinking they're not evil.

Based on the behaviour of Fisk in Daredevil, he'd torture himself for a lifetime for that shirt...

See my caveat about greed or venality I guess; you can probably add "power" to that reduction. Trump probably floats close to the concept of evilness insofar as he's clearly a terrible human being, someone who seems to enjoy being a shít ;the rest just seem like craven idiots. Lackeys more than anything, their own version of Wormtongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭kerplun k

While not necessarily evil, Trump is an insecure, megalomaniac, bully. The kind of character that would make an entertaining villain in the MCU. I think that’s what Patty Jenkins was going for in WW84. The problem with characters like Trump, is that while they can serve as a fun pantomime bad guy, under that flashy exterior, there’s no depth to people like this, they’re largely shallow, uninteresting with zero depth to their personalty, with nothing really meaningful to say, and ultimately just self serving boring people. The interesting part is how people around this kind of character react.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

If you want to view US politics as movies plots etc, you need to step back and see that you are looking at " two movies on one screen" , the other movie is that Trump is the hero and is in the third act where the hero inevitably gets thrown an impossible problem to deal with ;-) , in this movie the Dems are the bad guys wanting to throw their political opponents in jail

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Anyway, I see The Marvels is hitting "Digital" on January 16th, which of course means the high seas about five minutes after that ... which itself raises the question why Disney+ doesn't get first crack at the whip for these MCU films? Surely it's to the streamer's benefit that the first port of call is the big shiny streaming service Disney are trying to make money off...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,348 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Aired last night I'm not going to watch it myself.

However it is strange that it is airing on a Disney owned channel and he would do and interview the company that fired him from his biggest role.

Also he probably should fire his PR team for letting him do an interview about his trial and conviction before he is even sentenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

A few clips popped up on my feed and seems like a nothingburger that wont move the needle either way. He got some of the background of his case out there that wasn't really reported before - like photos of the injuries he claims were sustained from her attacking him before she chased him several blocks that the judge didn't allow in as evidence.

On the show, GMA is the biggest morning show in the US and there was a huge amount of advertising for it. Doubt he had bigger offers and he'd probably be cutting off his nose to spite his face if he said no to it.

I don't have a background in US law but cant see much danger in him doing an interview now. He isnt barred from speaking and the jury didn't believe the victim regarding him intentionally hurting her. Trying to save his career is likely far higher on his list of priorities than the tiny slap on the wrist he is likely to receive from the judge, if they don't appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If anyone is confused by no Echo today even with all the trailers releasing even in the last few hours saying the 9th it's as it's releasing at 9pm eastern US time today so when Disney+ say 10th it means 2am on the 10th for us and 9pm for the Americans on the 9th.

An evening premier time is kind of dumb, certain live events you've not got much choice but I think that's dumb to make it confusing when streaming is so much about that first burst of viewership.

Better the normal way when they release it at midnight for US and then morning for everywhere else

Adan Canto has died age 42 from cancer.

He was Sunspot in Days of Future Past

The Netflix shows have been added to the official MCU timeline and appear to be considered canon to the main MCU.

The only downside to this is that Finn Jones as Iron Fist is now canon. Was half hoping they might use a new version of the Iron Fist story and incorporate it into Shang-Chi content. They could of course go with a new Iron Fist (even Colleen's successor), but it wouldn't be Danny Rand.

He can be recast, it's a bit like The Incredible Hulk situation. Ed Nortons story is canon but it's hardly referenced. Where is Betty Ross these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,348 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

She will return in Captain America Brave New World so we will find out what she has been up too.

Still played by Liv Tyler or has she been recast?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Advertisement

The Echo reviews are sounding pretty positive, sounds like they've made something where the character's background is integral with both the indigenous aspect and use of sign language. I'd hope this means they're a bit more open to engaging in some more Max stories.

Advertisement