Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,348 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Its being reported now that Elden Henson and Deborah Ann Woll returning as Foggy & Karen just need Jon Bernthal to show up in Daredevil Born Again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'd like to see Élodie Yung back as well. I think she did an under appreciated but good job as Elektra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

the season 1 of Daredevil, was one of the best seasons of TV I have ever seen. Netflix, or whoever produced it, nailed it.

To be honest the Netflix cast across the five series were cast well and I'd be happy to see most of them return.

Finn Jones being the weakest and he would probably be recast if Iron Fist was to return.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

She did well but that whole plotline stunk IMO; nearly dropped me out of the show TBH cos "The Hand" just didn't work for me as a Big Bad and couldn't find a middleground between the prior "street level" stuff and the obvious supernatural aspect of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It really was, even little things like his struggle with his Catholic faith and the scenes with the priest were amazing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I just loved that one detail you almost never see with action films or TV: people got TIRED. Murdoch slowed down, started huffing for breath. You kinda saw it with the John Wick movies where Keanu would pause, seemingly shattered before starting another round of balletic murder.

Obviously you can't do it with the quasi gods in some MCU stories, but I hope this new show remembers that Matt is just a guy. Really highly trained with supernatural reflexes, but no more fit than an athlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I was convinced Michael Gandolfini was cast as new Foggy when I seen his name linked he fits a similar profile to Elden Henson wonder is he still attached to this now at all.

I wonder is there even a sniff of a chance of Jessica Jones making an appearance? Notwithstanding the quote serious and grim personal story of sexual assault colouring her story (I don't think we'll see Kilgrave somehow), she'd be the right kind of rejoinder to the MCU.

I know the new rebrand of stuff like Echo is supposed to be R Rated, but rape and sexual coercion feels like a step too far even for that badge.

This is just a guess that is out in the wild so I'll spoiler it.

Not Foggy.

He will be playing Kingpins son.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Season 1 of Jessica Jones was absolutely amazing as well. Man of Karen and Foggy are back as from Netflix, it will almost seem like the MCU tv shows finally healing and turning a corner. Man, imagine Spiderman 4 movie with Daredevil, Kingpin and The Punisher all battling it out, i think something like that would be the most exciting thing to happen the MCU since endgame. All Street level but but would get back to fun, impactful comic book films.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Stumbled across some very heart breaking news as I was looking up where some of the actors from the Defenders saga went to.

Eka Darville who played Jessica Jones' neighbour Malcolm and his wife had a 10 year old son called Mana who was bravely fighting a very aggressive brain cancer. Unfortunately he succumbed to the disease and his suffering came to an close at the end of October last year. I'll let the Unilad article fill you in on the back story but the pictures show he was a beautiful person and my heart goes out to the Darvilles.

Rest In Peace Mana.

Post edited by flazio on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 33,286 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Actor who played Bullseye reportedly returning too, so it's essentially S4 of Daredevil at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

nice one

Deadpool 3 wrapped filming today and will be in cinemas on July 26th.

That will be some turn around for a movie these days filming stopped to and a cinema release in 6 months time.

There must not be a huge lot of CGI to be added that's usually adds months after filming is finished on these big Superhero movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,247 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Colman Domingo now being rumoured to be the favourite IF Kang is recast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Would be a great fit

Oh he would be a very good pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

IMHO Jessica Jones is a great example of the importance of a compelling villain: Black Panther 1 was amazing because you had an interesting villain with a valid beef and interesting story arc. Black Panther 2 had a similar but weaker antagonist and was weaker movie (Some of this was also down to other factors such as lack of focus etc).

David Tennant was just TERRIFYING. Krysten Ritter and Carrie-Anne Moss were both great throughout the run of the show but Tennant was just an impossible act to follow.

I found that Daredevil got a bit repetitive as the show went on. Everyone remembers the first few fights (I think we ALL remember the microwave beaning the guy in the head) but it began to lurch from fight to fight.

• Advertisement

That's CRAZY turnaround time. Knew it was coming out this year and that it was until recently still filming but when you put it down like that - Finished 24/01/24 release 26/07/24 it REALLY highlights the quick turnaround.

Bearing in mind this still needs to be edited and of course extensive FX work. No wonder FX people are burning out and effects looking more and more rushed (Ant-man 3 looking like a Spy Kids movie). These teams just do not have the TIME to deliver a tight and polished product

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While it's certainly a fast turnaround time by any standards, especially given what we know about Marvel putting VFX houses under serious strain, it should be noted that half the film was shot before the strikes kicked off. So Levy and his team would have had several months to edit those sequences and get a headstart on effects work, and that post work would've continued when filming recommenced.

Again, it's still fast, but the film does have some exceptional circumstances that'd make a six-month turnaround between production wrapping and the film releasing a more feasible goal. I wouldn't have much hope for the film regardless - not a fan of the Deadpool films nor Levy's track record - and it could well be rushed. But yeah the production hiatus certainly wouldn't have been 'dead time' for the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,286 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Plus they could easily do similar to what happened with the first Deadpool, where they didn't have as much in the budget for the final big battle sequence as they thought, so they had Deadpool leave all his guns in the taxi and just did a smaller version of it.

With something like Deadpool, you could easily have him break the fourth wall, say they didn't have time to CGI something, and just show two poorly-drawn cartoons fighting each other for bits of it.

For sure, though there's simply no way in Kilgrave would be allowed come back, cos even for the Netflix shows that arc, and his powers, were extremely grim. You could probably sanitise it all a little bit I suppose, but it'd take a lot of shaving off the edges of what was an outright malevolent creature. Some of season 1 JJ got pretty unpleasant to watch, knowing Kilgrave was basically untouchable - and he had no qualms about how far he'd use his powers. Of course, the fact that:

He's dead

Might also stop a return, lol. Even Thanos worked because the guy was just a bit of an ecological extremist and Bad Dad; for all the purple skinned CGI his motivations and arc was pretty grounded, just like with Black Panther or Jessica Jones. They can't all be winners but when they are, you can clearly understand why the good MCU villains do work.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

John David Washington is reportedly being considered for the role of Kang the Conqueror

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Good choice to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 30,962 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Not sure about John David Washington, just don't know if he has that charismatic x-factor in comparison to some of the other names that have been linked. He's grand, but to play a big ultra-baddie you need someone who can really stand out in some interesting way, and I'm not sure he has that in his locker just yet.

I can't see Washington playing Kang as broadly as the last fella though; from what I've seen of him he's a much straighter arrow as acting goes so not quite seeing how he'd fit into things without a bit of a shift in approach.

Though given how Kang 1.0 became a bit of a punchline given how with his first appearance he got beaten by AntMan, the only way is up perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,247 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd prefer Washington over Domingo for the simple reason Kang is such a dumpsterfire of a character I'd rather Domingo get a better MCU role.

Advertisement