Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭HighTower88

Guys, Is there anything extra a serving Reserve needs to do before induction day? Like do we have to discharge ourselves from the force beforehand or anything of the like? no mention of it in the induction pack.

Also I assume I have to fork out on a suit instead of just wearing my uniform.

Any advice on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Lc201395

Posted uniform and bank details friday, hoping to god they got it alright

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Wannabegarda

Any advice on this?

A letter is coming on it. You should resign thou. They told me to straight away. Sunday's my last duty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Killinator

Any advice on this?

You'll be wearing a suit like everyone else.

If you are a Garda reserve DO NOT RESIGN UNTIL FRIDAY!!! if you have contact your sergant immediately!! Treat This as urgent! To

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Collielover

Any students passed out who are looking to sell a judo suit could ye pm me?

154 phase will be selling judo suits in a few weeks before you start your self defence so don't stress about not having it for week 1

Would be nice to pick one up on the cheap alright.

Anyone know the level of detail needed for our cv? Surely iit's just for work history or is there any other specific details they need?

Cheers

is anyone getting a bit nervous about getting started because of all this talk about pay an allowances?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Omahony92

Sure look wannabe, they're not keeping their cards hidden as to what you're going to be paid you know what to expect my man. I'd imagine the ones who resigned had better offers on the table and went with it. Annoying really, when there's plenty of us here waiting for our shot and people are getting it and then throwing it away.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 61 ✭✭Squire Ladd

is anyone getting a bit nervous about getting started because of all this talk about pay an allowances?

Sure it's all out in the open. If you're not happy with the lids then it ain't the job for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Yes it has put a big downer on it if you ask me. Iv wanted this all my life and im not looking forward to it as much as i should be. Iv even had serving gards tell me not to bother! Its all well and good to say (and pisses me off to hear people on here say it) oh ye know what ye are getting into before and someone else would be glad of the place etc but that doesnt hide the fact that they have made a joke out of the standard of living for new recruits. For the job you are doing the least you deserve is a basic living.

Some people are blind to how hard the job will be and the s**te you will have to put up with, and now to top it off you will hardly be paid. These people wont be long changing there tune if and when they get in. Even if it is a job you desperately want and enjoy if it badly impacts your quality of life it is hard to keep at it.

With the case of recruits leaving its not just a case of they were not happy with the wages and got another offer, the reality is that they worked their backs off to get into a job they could have wanted all their life knowing like everyone the wages they would be on, hopeing to struggle by until pay got better but it wont for 2 years at leased and the reality is they could not afford to be putting their family in debt any longer and stay in a job they obviously wanted and that is tragic if you ask me.

People want to be gardai/police and realistically have no other way of acheiving that job because it is very hard to get in abroad. They are taking advantage of that as people will always apply no matter what the wages. Its not like any other profession like nurses for example they can train and go get a job anywhere in the wold like england for example until pay gets better, we cant do that. And for that reason recruits have every right to complain about wages they are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭misslemon

thekopend wrote: »
    Yes it has put a big downer on it if you ask me. Iv wanted this all my life and im not looking forward to it as much as i should be.

That's awful, but hopefully what the Garda Review wanted (they were the main source for the story) was to draw attention to it in the hope of getting it changed. The comments section on the article in the Independent is usually not the kindest place to Gardai, and the majority of people there thought new recruits should get more money. Add to that the fact that when the new recruit salary was agreed rent wasn't as ridiculous as it is now and you have good grounds for an increase.

I do take your point though. We've all heard stories of Gardai sleeping in cars near their station because they can't afford to live nearby. It's not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭smiley963

misslemon wrote: »
    That's awful, but hopefully what the Garda Review wanted (they were the main source for the story) was to draw attention to it in the hope of getting it changed. The comments section on the article in the Independent is usually not the kindest place to Gardai, and the majority of people there thought new recruits should get more money. Add to that the fact that when the new recruit salary was agreed rent wasn't as ridiculous as it is now and you have good grounds for an increase.

Ido take your point though. We've all heard stories of Gardai sleeping in cars near their station because they can't afford to live nearby. It's not good enough.

It's really disheartening to be honest. This something I want all my life. To think we're been put through our paced only to let tests decide. Plus people going through process then leaving cause the money. It was stated before people joined. Plus there was an orientation aswell which explained the process and payment.

smiley963 wrote: »
    It was stated before people joined. Plus there was an orientation aswell which explained the process and payment.

True, but the idea of living on the amount after tax and the reality are very different things. Also, the last campaign started the end of 2013, start of 2014. There have been steep increases in inflation and rent since then so the recruit salary doesn't stretch as far as it used to.

The training is tough, 34 weeks on €188 away from family and friends isn't easily done. I don't think it's something people throw away easily.

Who are ye to judge people for leaving! They earned their place dont be jelouse. And for everyone that leaves there will be abother place so it wont make a difference to ye! The people that left wer from a different campaign so ye didnt even compete with them. The people who joined in 2014 didnt even know if rent alowance was gone or not at the time and there pay was supposed to go up after a year but now it wont because of haddington road. Get a grip on reality will ye. Nobody can judge them for not being able to survive on peanuts.

thekopend wrote: »
    Who are ye to judge people for leaving! They earned their place dont be jelouse. And for everyone that leaves there will be abother place so it wont make a difference to ye! The people that left wer from a different campaign so ye didnt even compete with them. The people who joined in 2014 didnt even know if rent alowance was gone or not at the time and there pay was supposed to go up after a year but now it wont because of haddington road. Get a grip on reality will ye.

Not judgement statement there is a differential between both. Anyone on this forum is entitled to their opinion. For that reason if something is published in the media it's open for discussion same with this forum and thread. So relax yourself 😀😀

It's like This the lads that can survive at least three years will be on a half decent wage. It's not like the pay stays at 23171 for the rest of the career. It will increase at the end of the first year to 25 and up each year so after 4 years you will be on an alright bit of pay. And I can't see the pay differences across the public services lasting to be honest. Nurses, doctors teachers the whole lot of them are being screwed and once a certain number of new Gardai reach them minimum there will be a mass exodus to the western austrailia along with every other public servant starting their careers. It's not what I want to do I want to stay in the Gardai but if push comes to shove.....

Long story short of the government of the new DAIL don't do something to fix the pay differences in the public services they will lose their public servants.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Boult

The problem is you are kinda walking into the job Blind. they tell you the money and that you could be stationed anywhere. I think that most recruits are hoping that when it comes to stationing that the people doing the allocations will see sense and station the recruits close to home. If it doesn't work out that way i can see why recruits would quit especially if they have a family.

Fair enough if someone like me left i can see your point because i know more than they did when they went for it. Also im in a better position as i dont have any ties kids/mortgage. I wont leave it and ill struggle on and i am leaving a well paid job for it! But i have sympathy for people who joined with mortgages etc and have to leave because things are not what they seemed when they applied.

• Advertisement

It's like This the lads that can survive at least three years will be on a half decent wage. It's not like the pay stays at 23171 for the rest of the career.

This is the bit that annoys me. If you have family support or your spouse can support you both, then you can wait it out until your wage increases. Whereas if you don't you can't. It's like devilling for a barrister.

Of course this isn't exclusive to Gardai. Unpaid internships in the private sector have the same effect, work for nothing for six months to a year and then you can make good money afterwards. Doesn't make it right though.

All full-time jobs should pay a living wage.

I'm going to push on anyway. I'm on about the same money in my current job as i will be once I attest. To be honest I only stayed in my current job because of the recruitment process and I'm pretty sure I will go nucking futs if I stay there any longer. Please god somethings will happen with pay and allowances. If there is no improvement....I'll worry about it down the line.

And lads I just checked it there. A diviling barrister for his first year is not paid. We will be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

http://www.thejournal.ie/gardai-low-pay-2677172-Mar2016/?utm_source=facebook_short

Another article about it, be interesting to see if the government (whatever one) will do about it?

This is the first time I've seen the GRA ask for something concrete. €33,000 is a huge increase though.

misslemon wrote: »
    This is the first time I've seen the GRA ask for something concrete. €33,000 is a huge increase though.

Were did this come from any links.

I know 23,171 will be our wage after attestation, but arent we forgetting about our 5 or 6k in allowances. Wont that mean we are on closer to 30k??

smiley963 wrote: »
    Were did this come from any links.

It's in the first paragraph of the article Redmond linked to:

"THE GARDA REPRESENTATIVE Association wants new gardaí to be paid the average industrial wage of €33,000 a year."

I wonder would that mean new Gardai would wait longer to get increments, or would it raise the salaries of everyone in the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

I wonder if that is just an opening figure though, be willing to negotiate down to something better.

• Advertisement

At leastthey are trying to do something about it and we are not being thrown e onto the bus

Advertisement