Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

glynf wrote: »
    Picked up some in Maplins a while back, think it was these ones..noise level was not important when I pciked them but they were ok for about €8 a piece. They had them in stock in the Blanch store.

leaning more towards silence then cfm, but will keep them in mind. The bricks and mortar shop is a good shout, as only need 2

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

Recently I've had a problem with my LAN - When wifi on router is turned on, LAN experiences terrible ping (500+) but when I turn it off, it works fine. It's not as if the wifi is being used, just turned on.

Also what's up with LAN dropping every 10 seconds or so for ~1 second? Terribly annoying.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

So I'm going to be going to CeBIT this year. Unfortunately some of the big players - ASUS, WD, Fractal, etc. - are limited to press only, so I won't be able to get in there. Below is the list of companies that I'm going to try and see - though I may not get to see everything.
    02, A44 - Micron
    02, B30 - Huawei
    02, B51 - Synology
    02, B58 - Shuttle
    02, B60 - Intel
    02, B60 - Lenovo *
    02, C30 - Samsung *
    02, C55 - QNAP
    04, A26 - Logitech *
    04, A26 - Plantronics
    04, A26 - Microsoft *
    04, A26 - Sennheiser *
    04, C03 - HP *
    04, C04 - Dell *
    04, C26 - Samsung *
    05, A36 - HP *
    05, C54 - ASRock Rack *
    06, E29 - Marvel
    06, E30 - ZTE
    06, J16 - BlackBerry
    09, G10 - Microsoft *
    11, E03 - Intel
    12, C83 - Tesla
    13, C12 - ZTE
    13, C41 - Digital Storm
    13, D57 - Netgear
    15, D21 - Be Quiet! *
    16, D30 - Google
    17, G23 - Silverstone *
    17, D26 - Lian-Li

Asterisked ones are top-of-the-list.

You can find an A-Z list of exhibitors here. If there's any I've missed that you'd especially like to see, let me know and I'll see what I can do. I'm going to try and take videos of stuff wherever possible.

Edit: list tweaked for the (hopefully) final time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Perhaps Acer, they some decent spec monitors on the way:

Predator XR341CK 34", 21:9 G-sync, 1444hz goodness would be worth a look. As would the XB270HU (27" G-Sync, IPS & 144Hz).

Hall 15, Stand D21. :)

Its a huge place, was there a few years ago at the Hanover Messe-prepare to walk a lot & enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Serephucus wrote: »
    So I'm going to be going to CeBIT this year. Unfortunately some of the big players - ASUS, WD, Fractal, etc. - are limited to press only, so I won't be able to get in there. Below is the list of companies that I'm going to try and see - though I may not get to see everything.

Asterisked ones are top-of-the-list.

You can find an A-Z list of exhibitors here. If there's any I've missed that you'd especially like to see, let me know and I'll see what I can do. I'm going to try and take videos of stuff wherever possible.

Edit: list tweaked for the (hopefully) final time

Nice. in general be interested in knowing if its worth going to. Vegas probably wont be an option so this is definitely next on the list!

• Advertisement

@glynf: Limited to press only! (or there would be a bunch of other people on that list :P)

It's worth a look alright. I was there a few years ago, and it was good as any of the videos I've seen of CES (though there's less announcements at something like CeBIT, being that much smaller, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,867 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Now this looks interesting

BenQ XL2730Z

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-113-BQ

Cant find any reviews and who built the panel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Headshot wrote: »
    Now this looks interesting

BenQ XL2730Z

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-113-BQ

Cant find any reviews and who built the panel?

2 pound off it for this week only I may order one soon haha :) nice tho

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

EoinHef wrote: »
    Looks like my logitech g400 mouse is on the way out:(

Laser just stops working periodically and the mouse has to disconnected and reconnected and it will come back to life for a bit. Getting more frequent now sadly. Be ordering from hwvs soon so may pick up a new mosue then.

Bought the g400 january 2013,worth sending a ticket to logitech?

Logitech replaced my G35 gaming headset when I started having some buzzing sounds - and I didn't even have to send back the old one. It was about 1.5 years old at the time and I think the warranty was for up to three years. It took a bit of persistence because I couldn't get the claim submitted through their website and I had to call the customer service telephone line about three times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

EoinHef wrote: »
    Looks like my logitech g400 mouse is on the way out:(

Laser just stops working periodically and the mouse has to disconnected and reconnected and it will come back to life for a bit. Getting more frequent now sadly. Be ordering from hwvs soon so may pick up a new mosue then.

Bought the g400 january 2013,worth sending a ticket to logitech?

Wading through the mire of garbage when it comes to getting a decent mouse is a pain:(

Looking at the g402 hyperion fury from logitech,mostly because its shaped like the old g400 but im unsure after the g400 failing after 2 years. Also seeing reports of the mouse developing a squeaky mouse wheel,which is not good.

Anybody have a g402?

• Advertisement

I have the G602, and it's bloody awesome. It replaced a Performance MX (which Logitech sent me to replace an MX Revolution, as they weren't made any more - Great service, by the way).

I dunno if you want a wireless one or not, but personally, I find wired mice annoying now. Not so much for general stuff, but in games I can really feel the cable dragging after not having one for so long. The button arrangement is really nice too. Because they're all shaped to be pointed, it's really easy to differentiate them from each other. I thought six buttons was stupid, might-as-well-get-a-Naga, territory, but it's really lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

So GSync vs Freesync, which side are we on?

FreeSync being so much cheaper, I'm leaning towards that. I'd hope NVIDIA eventually relents and supports FreeSync as well. I am intrigued with their "as-yet unlocked features" in the G-Sync module though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I have the G602, and it's bloody awesome. It replaced a Performance MX (which Logitech sent me to replace an MX Revolution, as they weren't made any more - Great service, by the way).

I dunno if you want a wireless one or not, but personally, I find wired mice annoying now. Not so much for general stuff, but in games I can really feel the cable dragging after not having one for so long. The button arrangement is really nice too. Because they're all shaped to be pointed, it's really easy to differentiate them from each other. I thought six buttons was stupid, might-as-well-get-a-Naga, territory, but it's really lovely.

Thanks serephucus.

Hmmm,my only real fear with wireless mice would be the battery life. Dont fancy turning on the PC to find i forgot to charge a mouse. How long would average batterylife be and can i chrge it from USB?
    The 602 does look really nice though,the thing thats putting me off the 402 and 502 is the,imo,silly looking blue logitech gaming logo and trim.
    I do like a few extra buttons on a mouse and the 602 has that covered. G400 only had 2,could have used a few more.

After reading a few more reviews ive moved a bit more towards the g502 instead of the g402,has a weight system and a few extra buttons. Biggest criticism seems to be the feet/skates not being great quality where as the 402 reviews flag a few issues. Mostly mouse wheel but issues none the less amd its put me off.

Ill have a good look at the 602 now aswell,all those side buttons are very tempting!!

It uses AA Batteries, so I picked up a few Eneloops and a charger from Amazon (been meaning to switch to these for a while anyway). Battery life is weeks. I couldn't tell you exactly, because to be honest it's so infrequent I haven't kept track, but I'd say 1-2 months.

Side note on batteries: From doing some research before I bought a tonne of these to replace everything in the house, alkaline batteries typically lose 25% of their charge after a month, around 50% after four, so if you're the type to buy them in bulk and switch them out later (most people), Eneloops are a good investment. They'll keep 90% of their charge for a year.

I use them in my electric trimmer, top notch cells. Best bit, got em free with a charger as a sample.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Serephucus our C2750's just become outdated

http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/81472-intel-launches-xeon-d-1520-d-1540-64-bit-socs/
    The first ever Intel Xeon SoCs, the D-1520 and D-1540, are now in production. These processors provided up to 3.4X the performance of an Intel Atom C2750 in a dynamic web serving platform test undertaken by Intel.* The new Xeons are said to boast up to 1.7X better performance per watt in the same example task.*

:(

Ah for **** sake. Now I have to go and upgrade again. :P

That 45W TDP is going to require active cooling. It supports AVX though, which is very cool.

Honestly for my needs the lower consumption unit is just dandy, save them pennies on the ESB bill.

• Advertisement

I'm probably going to upgrade mine at some point, though it's not a huge issue. It's just that 1080p transcodes on the fly tend to kill this thing. Mine is usually stuck at 100% if there's more than two going at once, which happens reasonably frequently.

In other news, I think my GPU might be ****ed.

Came home today to a tonne of blue artifacts everywhere. On iGPU at the moment. Reinstalled drivers, hasn't helped. Will swap ports and PCI slots shortly. I might upgrade to a 970 after all...

Edit: Yup, it's borked. MSI GTX 970 Gaming ordered, applying for RMA Thrusday. Anyone want first dibbs on the replacement? Boardsie discount applies. :D

2GB framebuffer at 1440, asking for trouble?

EDIT: Nope
    http://i0.wp.com/alienbabeltech.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/MainChart.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭justjustin

Anyone want first dibbs on the replacement? Boardsie discount applies. :D

The replacement what?

The replacement 780 that I'll be getting from EVGA in a couple of weeks.

The replacement 780 that I'll be getting from EVGA in a couple of weeks.

Cool, it's just that you didn't mention what GPU it was.

My bad. I forget some people don't have signatures turned on.

My bad. I forget some people don't have signatures turned on.

My bad for not realising this was a feature... Had a look in the options there but didn't see anything. Care to help out a noob?

Heh, sure. :)

User CP -> Edit Options -> Thread Display Options tab -> Show Signatures

Heh, sure. :)

User CP -> Edit Options -> Thread Display Options tab -> Show Signatures

Nice one, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

TTL doing a 5960x + 980 matrix sli + etc etc etc crazy giveaway in the coming weeks. I know a lot of people would like to win but I'd really like to win.
    Mentioned the giveaway at the end of the 4way sli video would be interesting how well 4way sli acts in cinema 4d or the like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement