Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Sure it was done before with those Lucid Hydra motherboards. While it was cool, the was not any significant benefit so few were bought.

However, this could boost performance by a bit for cards with low RAM so could popularise multi card setups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Jesus, at this stage could they not just put their hands up and admit they ****ed up, rather than churn out these embarrassing spiels.

AM I the only one that think this is being overblown. The benchmarks are the benchmarks. The performance has not changed and there is still 4gb of RAM albeit that the last 512mb is a bit slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Monotype wrote: »
    Sure it was done before with those Lucid Hydra motherboards. While it was cool, the was not any significant benefit so few were bought.

However, this could boost performance by a bit for cards with low RAM so could popularise multi card setups.

It all sounds cool and dandy, but I presume we will need motherboards and new gpus for dx12 so?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

AM I the only one that think this is being overblown. The benchmarks are the benchmarks. The performance has not changed and there is still 4gb of RAM albeit that the last 512mb is a bit slower.

Totally overblown. Amazingly some people are convinced the 970 would be better with the last 0.5 GB of VRAM chopped off. That "slow" VRAM still beats the pants off accessing system RAM via PCIE.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It's still a bloody good card for the money. It is dodgy that they advertised it as a 4gb card, but honestly this whole thing has been blown out of proportion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Monotype wrote: »

That was an expensive motherboard though,this is essentially free software that can do it.

It all sounds cool and dandy, but I presume we will need motherboards and new gpus for dx12 so?

In short nope
    “While we are not yet ready to detail everything related to DirectX12, we can share that we are working closely with all of our hardware partners to help ensure that most modern PC gaming hardware will work well with DirectX12, including; nVidia’s Maxwell, Kepler and Fermi-based GPUs, Intel’s 4th generation (and newer) Core processors and AMD’s Graphics Core Next (GCN) based GPUs. We’ll have more to share about DirectX12 at GDC in March.”

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873545/dont-panic-directx12-wont-require-a-new-graphics-card-after-all.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Surprised, but pleased that Fermi GPUs will work with it.... May actually be good for another few years if the FPS boosts are similar across all platforms

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

More news on DX12 front.
    http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/directx_12_will_allow_multi-gpu_geforce_radeon_configs/1

Here's a thought: When "upgrading" your GPU, you get to keep your old one for an added effect.
    Here's another one: Knowing nVidia, many of those things are not happening...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They'll never ever make drivers that play nice with that. Just not gonna happen.

• Advertisement

Just picked up an Asus Strix GTX 960 for the other halfs PC and it's brilliant so far. Set up was obviously extremely neat and easy, and came with a DVA adapter too, which is handy until she gets a new monitor.

Been running around on WoW with totally maxed out settings, a few Heroics and lots of BG's and haven't dipped below 80fps once, averaging a very nice 100fps usually.
    One hell of a jump from the GTX 650 she had in here, which was getting maybe 45fps with a mixture of high/medium.
    I'll be pumping in a further test later on with Skyrim and Far Cry 4.

Basically, if anyone is tip toeing the idea of getting a new card and not wanting to drop a bomb on the 970/980 or 290X, this is a great alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

How much was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭game4it70

New titan with 12gb of vram wow :eek:
    Thats gonna cost some serious money.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/43914/nvidia-unveils-geforce-gtx-titan-12gb-vram-gdc-2015/index.html

How much was it?

€230 in Maplins. Even with £ to € conversion and delivery it works out around the same as buying from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭game4it70

Sonics2k wrote: »
    €230 in Maplins. Even with £ to € conversion and delivery it works out around the same as buying from the UK.

That was a great price for a bricks and mortar.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

game4it70 wrote: »
    New titan with 12gb of vram wow :eek:
    Thats gonna cost some serious money.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/43914/nvidia-unveils-geforce-gtx-titan-12gb-vram-gdc-2015/index.html

Honestly? Who gives a ****... Overpriced piece of hardware, which is relevant to very very small group of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Honestly? Who gives a ****... Overpriced piece of hardware, which is relevant to very very small group of people.

Ya would be surprised how many people will buy this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Obviously, but Titan X will be a good indicator of 980 Ti's performance. Mind you, that'll probably be overpriced too.
    Nolars wrote: »
    Ya would be surprised how many people will buy this.

OCN is full of people with way too much money, and way too little sense.

game4it70 wrote: »
    That was a great price for a bricks and mortar.

That's a great price for Maplins. I think retailers have lowered their prices a lot in recent times though, I mean in PC World a 750Ti is 159. That's a pretty damn good price for a walk-in store as well, considering you'd pay about 130 online with postage. They've stopped selling higher end cards in PC World and to an extent Maplin as well, they're aiming at the low to mid range which is far more where people are willing to pay money. Most people looking to buy high-end know a little bit more about what they're looking for.

I picked it up because the price was so good. I'm just waiting on parts for my new PC, so figured I'd get something for herself too and it suits her needs nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

In other news...

Unity 5 and Unreal...

Are now FREE

I know what I'll be messing around with tomorrow! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

And Source 2...

... well when it is actually available.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Apparently the Oculus being demoed at GDC yesterday was using a new AMD card so hopefully, if AMD aren't teasing bastards, they'll do the full reveal today.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

could someone elaborate the point for 4GB on such crippled/weak bandwidth? I doubt this will help higher resolutions than peasant 1080p... i've a feeling that 670 would still blow this one out of water on any rez and cost a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gbear wrote: »
    Apparently the Oculus being demoed at GDC yesterday was using a new AMD card so hopefully, if AMD aren't teasing bastards, they'll do the full reveal today.

Havent seen any headlines about AMD today, looks like theyve kept quiet :/

raymix wrote: »
    could someone elaborate the point for 4GB on such crippled/weak bandwidth? I doubt this will help higher resolutions than peasant 1080p... i've a feeling that 670 would still blow this one out of water on any rez and cost a lot cheaper.

The 960 and 670 are pretty much the same performance wise. One or two games I've seen the 960 is considerably faster, almost never slower but in the odd instance it is, just by a frame or two.

If I was choosing between a brand new 960 for 200 or a 2nd hand 670 for 150, the 960 would still make a lot more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

anyone recommend me some 80mm fans? need to replace a couple in some drive enclosures

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Picked up some in Maplins a while back, think it was these ones..noise level was not important when I pciked them but they were ok for about €8 a piece. They had them in stock in the Blanch store.

• Advertisement

Looks like my logitech g400 mouse is on the way out:(

Laser just stops working periodically and the mouse has to disconnected and reconnected and it will come back to life for a bit. Getting more frequent now sadly. Be ordering from hwvs soon so may pick up a new mosue then.

Bought the g400 january 2013,worth sending a ticket to logitech?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement