Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Headshot wrote: »
    Got it

Was a tone generator and probe I was thinking off. Great bit of equipment

Wiring the whole house for GigE are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Serephucus wrote: »
    Anyone know of any 29-ish, 21:9 curved monitors present, or coming?

I think the acer "predator" is releasing a 34 and a 29 curved 144hz monitor. No firm eta unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Didn't know there was a 29" version. Noice.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,942 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lads

Beware of today LED monitors like my AOC. They are using LG panels and by god these panels are ****ing awful for back light bleeding.

New monitor arrived and the bottom left corner is dreadful for back light bleeding.

I want to get the Samsung S34E790C since there's zero back light bleeding but cant justify spending nearly 1000 euro on a monitor.

I think its time just to get a full refund. Its very sad for me because I adored the res of these 21:9 monitors

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Headshot wrote: »
    Lads

Beware of today LED monitors like my AOC. They are using LG panels and by god these panels are ****ing awful for back light bleeding.

New monitor arrived and the bottom left corner is dreadful for back light bleeding.

I want to get the Samsung S34E790C since there's zero back light bleeding but cant justify spending nearly 1000 euro on a monitor.

I think its time just to get a full refund. Its very sad for me because I adored the res of these 21:9 monitors

The S34E790C is getting poor reviews too due to washed out colours and ghosting issues as well as dodgy stands that tend to lean to the left slightly. It is getting slated on overclock.net by people who have bought it.

I ordered a S34E790C with the recent samsung direct deal but it was cancelled as they wouldn't ship to parcel motel and now i'm a little glad they did.

The only reason people are tolerating the S34E790C is because the alternatives are aweful but with the amount of money they cost, people shouldn't have to settle for almost good. I've had to return a u3415 also and it looks like dell have pulled all supplies of the monitor due to QC issues on the panel. Sadly the u3415w would be the perfect monitor for me if there were no backlight issues.

There are no decent 34'' 21:9 monitors that actually justify their price so i'm unfortunately going to have to hold off for another few months to see what else hits the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

PCPartPicker got an overhaul.

Looking for a home use build for my dad and this looks just fine.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Was going pricing some watercooling gear this evening and just noticed this

Specialtech closed

Hadn't heard they were even in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭game4it70

deejer wrote: »

Specialtech closed

Damn,they may have been slow but had a very good selection of gear.
    Shame.

Specialtech closed

Well damn. I had no idea they were doing badly at all. I've ordered a hell of a lot from them over the years, and talked to the guys a few times. They really know their stuff. That's on top of having the best selection of parts (second only to FrozenCPU, but they're no really an option this side of the pond) and decent prices too.

Genuinely crappy news.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

The euro is so crap now it is very expense buying stuff from the UK.

Have people here used any german sites for buying watercooling stuff? I have used caseking.de a couple of times but postage is very expensive. Starts around €40 i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Looking to get a cheap 1080p monitor for a secondary, would be mostly used for video. Any suggestions? The Uxxxx Dell series are awesome (main monitor is a u2711) but don't really fit in with the cheap aspect. Would need it to be vesa mountable too.

The euro is so crap now it is very expense buying stuff from the UK.

Have people here used any german sites for buying watercooling stuff? I have used caseking.de a couple of times but postage is very expensive. Starts around €40 i think.

I have looked for euro shops before and had no luck.

All the sites i use are in sterling :(
    http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/index.php
    http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware
    http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Anyone know if Aria PC deliver to Ireland these days and are they any good?

Looking at ordering a few parts via PC Part Picker and they are quite a bit cheaper than others by the looks of it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Anyone know if Aria PC deliver to Ireland these days and are they any good?

Looking at ordering a few parts via PC Part Picker and they are quite a bit cheaper than others by the looks of it.

Yes they do and yes they're good to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Yes they do and yes they're good to deal with.

Fantastic. I'd usually buy from Overclockers but they are quite expensive lately, especially with the awful currency conversion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Is it taking a piss or...?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

http://gamingbolt.com/dx12-running-in-excess-of-100fps-on-an-unreleased-gpu-way-beyond-console-stuff

Apparently DX12 will see multiple GPUs as one entity too... I wonder is that limited to SLI/X-fire setups or if mis-matched cards will work together

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

http://gamingbolt.com/dx12-running-in-excess-of-100fps-on-an-unreleased-gpu-way-beyond-console-stuff

Apparently DX12 will see multiple GPUs as one entity too... I wonder is that limited to SLI/X-fire setups or if mis-matched cards will work together

That'd be a game changer for futureproofing and a massive boon to the 390x if it only has 4GB as is rumoured.

It wouldn't be a single card 4k solution but it'd nail it in crossfire for years to come.

http://m.slashdot.org/story/213979

Intel continuing to push the envelop, if only.AMD could compet.

• Advertisement

Here's hoping they do something. The last thing we need is an Intel/NVIDIA monopoly. Considering AMD is losing 3:1 on the GPU front, this isn't great news.

Hey everyone,

Some of you are disappointed that we didn’t clearly describe the segmented memory of GeForce GTX 970 when we launched it. I can see why, so let me address it.

We invented a new memory architecture in Maxwell. This new capability was created so that reduced-configurations of Maxwell can have a larger framebuffer – i.e., so that GTX 970 is not limited to 3GB, and can have an additional 1GB.

GTX 970 is a 4GB card. However, the upper 512MB of the additional 1GB is segmented and has reduced bandwidth. This is a good design because we were able to add an additional 1GB for GTX 970 and our software engineers can keep less frequently used data in the 512MB segment.

Unfortunately, we failed to communicate this internally to our marketing team, and externally to reviewers at launch.

Since then, Jonah Alben, our senior vice president of hardware engineering, provided a technical description of the design, which was captured well by several editors. Here’s one example from The Tech Report.

Instead of being excited that we invented a way to increase memory of the GTX 970 from 3GB to 4GB, some were disappointed that we didn’t better describe the segmented nature of the architecture for that last 1GB of memory.

This is understandable. But, let me be clear: Our only intention was to create the best GPU for you. We wanted GTX 970 to have 4GB of memory, as games are using more memory than ever.

The 4GB of memory on GTX 970 is used and useful to achieve the performance you are enjoying. And as ever, our engineers will continue to enhance game performance that you can regularly download using GeForce Experience.

This new feature of Maxwell should have been clearly detailed from the beginning.

We won’t let this happen again. We’ll do a better job next time.

Jen-Hsun
    - See more at: http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/02/24/gtx-970/#sthash.7N0z7iVc.7qs7eQFv.dpuf

The comments under that post are priceless. Here's hoping this blunder lowers the 980 Ti's price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

A month and thats the best they could come up with,Nvidia really screwed the pooch on this one!

Also it may end up costing them a fortune if the recent court case taken against them in the states is sucessful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Jesus, at this stage could they not just put their hands up and admit they ****ed up, rather than churn out these embarrassing spiels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Jesus, at this stage could they not just put their hands up and admit they ****ed up, rather than churn out these embarrassing spiels.

They can't admit fault as that would open them up to massive litigation over misrepresentation. They know what they did, they just can't admit to it for legal reason.

Pebble have launch a new smartwatch.

TL;DR - Thinner and nicer looking than the first Pebble (though Steel still has the edge, IMO), with colour screen, voice recognition, and a completely revamped OS. It still gets a week on battery, and still uses buttons over a touchscreen.

Kickstarter link

(needless to say I've already pledged for mine...)

The pledged fund is skyrocketing. They're on track to break their own record within a day.

I'm still on the android wear side of the fence, though the steel *nearly* had me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Well then, throw everything you knew about multi-GPU setups out the window!

Tom's Hardware has quite the exclusive report, where they're saying that they have a "source with knowledge" on the matter of DirectX 12, that will see that the new API will combine the powers of competing GPUs. In order words, an NVIDIA GeForce GPU will work together in a multi-GPU set up with an AMD Radeon card.

This is something DirectX 12 has on its side with its Explicit Asynchronous Multi-GPU capabilities, which will throw all of the various graphics resources in a system, and into a single "bucket". From there, the game developers will have to work out where the workload will be split, which could see different hardware being used in specific tasks.

One of the major points of this new multi-GPU technology is that multi-GPU configurations will no longer have to mirror their frame buffers, or VRAM. In previous APIs, right up to DX11, you needed two cards of identical VRAM amounts to work in tandem, but only one lot of VRAM is utilized, it's not combined. This is a limitation of rendering an alternate frame (AFR), but DX12 is removing the 4 + 4 = 4 limitation of AFR, replacing it with a new frame method called SFR, or Split Frame Rendering.

The biggest point of this news is that "DirectX 12 will support all of this across multiple GPU architectures, simultaneously". This means that you could mix NVIDIA GeForce and AMD Radeon GPUs together for a multi-GPU setup, with the video cards rendering the same frame, simultaneously. This could lead gamers to having the best of both words: PhysX, G-SYNC, 3D Vision and more from NVIDIA and then AMD's TrueAudio, FreeSync and more.

Better yet, it's not only beneficial to multi-GPU systems with higher-end VGA cards, but to laptops and all-in-ones that are running APUs or a more basic CPU with a built-in GPU, and a not-so-great discrete GPU. They could combine their GPU rendering powers, increasing the GPU power by magnitudes, depending on the hardware.

We should hear more about DX12 and its multi-GPU goodness at GDC 2015 next week.

Read more at http://www.tweaktown.com/news/43753/directx-12-rumored-allow-geforce-radeon-gpus-work-together/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Wow,if thats true its pretty cool. I knew DX12 would bring benefits for multi gpu setups,vram stacking,better utilisation etc but didnt see that coming.

How would the drivers even work,you would have to have AMD and Nvidia drivers working together!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement