Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Headshot wrote: »
    Im debating to either buy A NUC or build an mini ITX myself

This is the NUC im thinking of getting

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-381-OK
    With 16gb ram, 1TB hard drive and 128gb msata

Just unsure at the moment, any advice?

Whats it for? Is it just for something to plug into the telly?

I love the idea of them for the living room, relatively cheap and tidy, bit of streaming, kodi, netflix, emulators etc. and a bit more omph than the android boxes when you need it, but are you not barking up the wrong tree if you need to run something that needs 16GB of ram in the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

That's what I was thinking as well. Great little no-fuss machines, but for actual work? It's a lot of money to spend on a U-series chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,867 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Its going to be a mixture of being a HTPC and testing linux systems etc.

I love the idea of how small it is and will easily fit in my bag.

Iv been thinking again you could be right, do I really need 16gb and a Msata. Once I have my 1TB drive im happy.

Now its quite a bit cheaper 489.94 inc VAT (overclockers)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

With the way they euro is tanking at the mo compared to GBP you might be better buying from a european seller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Headshot wrote: »

Believe it nor not Komplett have some of the best prices going on NUCs atm.

I picked up the base line celereon NUC N2820 for €139
    http://www.komplett.ie/product/zkb-01com/20226307/intel-next-unit-of-computing-dn2820fyk/details.aspx

Added 4gig of 1.35v sodimm ram and a 60 gig ssd: total was €235.

Performance was a lot better that I expected, the NUC itself takes about 10 minutes to put together. A quick install of MINT 17 and it was done.

Very surprised with the performance of the celeron, tis grand for day to day tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

uberpixie wrote: »
    Believe it nor not Komplett have some of the best prices going on NUCs atm.

I picked up the base line celereon NUC N2820 for €139
    http://www.komplett.ie/product/zkb-01com/20226307/intel-next-unit-of-computing-dn2820fyk/details.aspx

Added 4gig of 1.35v sodimm ram and a 60 gig ssd: total was €235.

Performance was a lot better that I expected, the NUC itself takes about 10 minutes to put together. A quick install of MINT 17 and it was done.

Very surprised with the performance of the celeron, tis grand for day to day tasks.

I'm almost sold

You hardly use it for light "server" stuff?
    I currently have a Raspberry PI running ownCloud and it can be a bit dodgy. The web frontend can be very slow and I get some funny sync behaviour at times.
    Wondering if a NUC would make a good replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

€10 for 2 used SATA cables?
    It's not fiction, a guy in a computer repair shop asked for that this morning. I think he might have been serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

€10 for 2 used SATA cables?
    It's not fiction, a guy in a computer repair shop asked for that this morning. I think he might have been serious.

If they were on adverts they would be double that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

game4it70 wrote: »
    If they were on adverts they would be double that :P

But all the bidders would be offering 1 euro + swap for my pocket lint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    I'm almost sold

You hardly use it for light "server" stuff?
    I currently have a Raspberry PI running ownCloud and it can be a bit dodgy. The web frontend can be very slow and I get some funny sync behaviour at times.
    Wondering if a NUC would make a good replacement.

The basic Celeron NUC would be fine for a basic webapps. However it doesn't have a lot of poke. (I am browsing this site and playing a stream through the Plex web interface, Plex playback chugs when I am typing in this window!)

Also some versions of the NUC had issued operating headless (this one booted up fine to Linux with no monitor connected... your mileage may vary though if you go for an older version of the nuc)

If you have any notions of using a nuc as a htpc I would get the i3 version as a min.

For what you get with the Celeron N2820: it just goes to show what level of performance you can get theses days for cheap. Most crappy laptops you can get for around 250 euro ship with the N2820 or equivalent and performance is acceptable for the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

Guys, what's the best way to get rid of RDIMMs? Obviously only few people are interested in them. Swap? Sell? Trade? I can't use them anywhere since they are buffered and not really planning to do e5 xeons or opterons anytime in near future. Really sucks that neither 1155 or am3+ supports it, would be a neat upgrade.
    edit: removed info, since that would be "advertising" I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Public Service Announcement!

The Cooltek Antiphon is a beautiful case and its incredible how cheap it is for how close it resembles the Fractal Design R series. Good cable management, grommets, noise dampening material, easy to use HDD mounting, padded PSU mounting, fully painted interior and filtered intakes with 3 fans included.

The bad news is that the Cooler Master 212 Evo is just a few millimetres too high to fit perfectly. It fits imperfectly though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Bazzo wrote: »
    Why settle for one Titan X when you could have 8?

JnDBsHB.jpg?1

1. Where is the CPU?
    2. Where is the RAM?
    3. Where is the storage?
    4. When did they start making motherboards out of kitchen towel rolls? :confused:

This photoshoppage offends me on a deep visceral level :p

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

glynf wrote: »
    I'd settle for 2..I'm already doing the sums, and have convinced myself its a good idea :o Looks like it will be 2016 for the 980ti release, and 2 x 980's is not worth upgrading from 2 x 780's. If I flog my 2 x 780's for 300 each, it will 'only' cost 1400 to upgrade to 2 Titan X's ex Vat. Amazing how I can rationalise anything given enough time. :)

Holding off until the 390x shows up, but f**K if I'm not tempted..

Heck we should be seeing Pascal small & medium die GPUs in 2016. I expect the Pascal version of GTX 970 to be slightly faster than Titan-X at around 140-150 watts. Not to mention massive bump in VRAM bandwidth due to HBM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Luck100 wrote: »
    Heck we should be seeing Pascal small & medium die GPUs in 2016. I expect the Pascal version of GTX 970 to be slightly faster than Titan-X at around 140-150 watts. Not to mention massive bump in VRAM bandwidth due to HBM.

As you say, Pascal GPU's will be 9-12 months away..that's a long time to suffer an affliction such as upgraditis :)

TFT central have their XB270HU review up, and it looks like the real deal; IPS, 144hz, 5ms response and little or no blur.

Chances are the 34" 21:9 will be as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

glynf wrote: »
    TFT central have their XB270HU review up, and it looks like the real deal; IPS, 144hz, 5ms response and little or no blur.

Chances are the 34" 21:9 will be as good.

Sheeeit that's expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Danger781 wrote: »
    Sheeeit that's expensive

Yeah, guess i'll be waiting a while to pick one up!

Expensive yes, give it 12-18 months when these panels become more widely available/the Koreans start knocking them out and I'm sure they will drop to reasonable money.

Looks like the 980ti is on the way as well, apparently clocked 10% faster than a Titan X with 6GB RAM.

Hope the peole who bought a Titan X are enjoying their day in the sun.:P

• Advertisement

I was stuck on what to get a NUC or a monitor.

Decided to get the Samsung S34E790C. Reading reviews and owners replies about this monitor made my mind up tbh.

Current front-runner for a new monitor is the 29 inch version of that. Let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

would hdmi over ethernet be a viable option instead of building a htpc?
    No need for any raspi/chromecast/roku/nas/whatever just download plex home theatre, run ethernet&hdmi to the tv and it's done?

good / bad idea?

plex app would be the remote.. can't see any other downside other than the pc being on all the time.. but outside of that there'd still need to be a nas setup, and tbh the saved money would buy more internal hard drives on the main pc.. and have them all accessible at sata speeds.

Obviously the scalability of chromecasts is nice because you just keep buying them for tvs, but what if you went one further with the above idea and ran a number of virtual machines, and used several outputs from the gpu to send hdmi over ethernet to all the tvs...!
    No transcoding or anything, with whatever 10/12/24 bit colour from hdmi etc

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Would anyone here have any idea where I could get my hands on some PETG tubing for watercooling. Only seems to be available from Primochill in the US.

Im sure it must be used for something over here.........

Probably could have got it from Specialtech... :(

Quick look and I can't find much. I take it something like this isn't on the cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

So i sold my 680 for €200 (3 years old with 2 years left on warranty)

Bought one of the OcUK 780ti's for €360.

I will be gaming at 1200p.

For €160 did i make a good choice as i'm thinking maybe i should have bought a 970.

The extra 500mb aside, i am thinking it should be OK for the likes of GTA5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

780ti is still a good card,unless your limited by vram,which as you point out could also be a problem on a 970 so much the same on that front.

Will also support DX12,Shadow Play. So only really better power consumption,MFAA and DSR that the 970 has that the 780ti does not . Had to make this decision awhile back myself. Went for a 970,im quite happy with the card but i dont think i would have regretted getting a 780ti either at that price. Hopefully you got a good chip and can overclock the crap out of it,you will be maxing 90% of games at 1200p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Also had the same choice recently, went with the 970 myself. Don't think you made an error though either, 780Ti is a solid card and a big upgrade from a 680, which is more or less a 770.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

EoinHef wrote:
    780ti is still a good card,unless your limited by vram,which as you point out could also be a problem on a 970 so much the same on that front.

Also had the same choice recently, went with the 970 myself. Don't think you made an error though either, 780Ti is a solid card and a big upgrade from a 680, which is more or less a 770.

Cheers lads. I was not even planning to upgrade, but I thought with gta5 incoming time for a small upgrade.

The days of €500+ cards for me is hard to justify.

If I get two years out of it I'll be happy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Was looking at OCUK earlier, BFG special edition Titan X is almost 2K.

If I was lucky enough, I honestly still can't fathom that even with unlimited funds, why I would go for such a card. For about 50% of the cost Sli 980 is faster and cheaper, even if you were desperate to wield your e-penis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement