Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It's incredibly easy when you don't have €500 to pay for a new GPU :p

Still have my 8800gtx here... only reason I upgraded from that was a driver issue kept causing it to overheat. Once I stuck it into a second box it's been grand ever since.

Actually it was fine with pretty much everything, until witcher 2 came out. Damn witcher was the reason I upgraded!

I just googled it and turns out my 680 will be 3 years old in march! Damn, I know it costed me over 500eu, but if you think about it, it is a good value in the end. I a sure that 680 can easily push at least one or two years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Any thoughts on 1440p vs 144hz monitors for gaming?

Considering either getting this Samsung 1440p or this Acer Predator 144hz

Not set on these ones exactly, just at this size and price point. They'll mostly be used for gaming, WoW, Dragon Age and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Any thoughts on 1440p vs 144hz monitors for gaming?

Not set on these ones exactly, just at this size and price point. They'll mostly be used for gaming, WoW, Dragon Age and so on.

Shooters and other more fast paced, action packed games benefit from the faster refresh rate but RTS, MOBAs, MMOs and the like, IMO, benefit the most from the larger amount of space.

I couldn't play games that have a large UI on anything smaller anymore - SWTOR, Starcraft2 or Civ 5 would just feel cramped to me at 1080p now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

As we're on the subject of monitor refresh rates, something I found interesting this morning:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

CRT master race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Gbear wrote: »
    Shooters and other more fast paced, action packed games benefit from the faster refresh rate but RTS, MOBAs, MMOs and the like, IMO, benefit the most from the larger amount of space.

I couldn't play games that have a large UI on anything smaller anymore - SWTOR, Starcraft2 or Civ 5 would just feel cramped to me at 1080p now.

I was thinking the 1440p one mostly. Anyone have a suggestion for a good one? Around €350-€400 budget. I'd love the Asus RoG Swift, but thats way outside budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

CRT master race

I remember when HD tv's fist came out and read online a review and they recommended a HD CRT. I wonder if you can still get them. I know they are massive, but at the end of the day they are far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I was thinking the 1440p one mostly. Anyone have a suggestion for a good one? Around €350-€400 budget. I'd love the Asus RoG Swift, but thats way outside budget.

Apparently it has a crappy stand, was deal of the day yesterday at 275 pounds, 300 today. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-079-AS

Cheaper again! http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-080-AC&groupid=17&catid=510

I remember when HD tv's fist came out and read online a review and they recommended a HD CRT. I wonder if you can still get them. I know they are massive, but at the end of the day they are far better.

I use a Dell Trinitron at 1920 x 1440 pixels (80hz) as a secondary monitor, and use it at 1024x768 @ 150hz while gaming

They weigh a tonne and draw a lot of power but it's like night and day going between a 150hz crt and a 60hz IPS for gaming, I would nearly get sea sick with the latter now after becoming so used to 100% blur free fluid lovelyness of the crt

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

XStar panels seem to stack up well. Interesting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'd love the Asus RoG Swift, but thats way outside budget.

144hz or 1440p?

You could just save up for another month and get both!:P

There's supposedly a few more new panels around the corner. Overclockers have a few G-Sync and Free-sync monitors available for pre-order. Not sure if those prices are final.

I think it'd be worth waiting if you can manage it and see what the Free-sync monitors are like.
    Hopefully if nothing else, the prices will fall a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Bah, is it me, or there is just so much new tech to come out this year, that buying anything now feels like a pure waste of money?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

I use a Dell Trinitron at 1920 x 1440 pixels (80hz) as a secondary monitor, and use it at 1024x768 @ 150hz while gaming

They weigh a tonne and draw a lot of power but it's like night and day going between a 150hz crt and a 60hz IPS for gaming, I would nearly get sea sick with the latter now after becoming so used to 100% blur free fluid lovelyness of the crt

Is it a GDM-FW900? If so you jammy git..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Out of curiosity...

Was having a poke around the PC earlier and it got me thinking - What unusual components do you have in your build(s)? Not sure if it warrants a new thread or not.

I've got a Mushkin 650W PSU and 16gb Mushkin blackline DDR3 <m. Also have 2 Raptor drives (remember those? :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

3.5 inch disk drive.

glynf wrote: »
    Is it a GDM-FW900? If so you jammy git..

It isn't an fw900, but it's a Dell P1110 which has a trinitron tube, which has almost the same specs as the fw900, except it's a 4:3 aspect 19.x"(usable) screen.

Just tried to do the same 2304x1440 resolution that the fw900 does, and mine can't, but it does the equivalent for it's aspect, which is 1920x1440.

According to google the fw900 can only do 150hz at 800x600 though, so this suits me more being able to do 150 at 1024x768, although that isn't listed as being supported by the p1110 either, so it may be that I got a good example or they can all do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Out of curiosity...

Was having a poke around the PC earlier and it got me thinking - What unusual components do you have in your build(s)? Not sure if it warrants a new thread or not.

I've got a Mushkin 650W PSU and 16gb Mushkin blackline DDR3 <m. Also have 2 Raptor drives (remember those? :D)

Mushkin powersupplies are Tops.. I'm really sad I sold my old one. It had a class green LED exhaust fan , and a beautiful dark bronze mirror finish.

I've got 2X Blue cathodes and 1X UV cathode.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

papu wrote: »
    Mushkin powersupplies are Tops.. I'm really sad I sold my old one. It had a class green LED exhaust fan , and a beautiful dark bronze mirror finish.

You sold it... to ME, you spaz! :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

You sold it... to ME, you spaz! :D :pac:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

I picked up an ASus RoG Swift last week and it's fantastic. 144Hz and 1440p is amazing, everything is so smooth, didn't think I'd notice a difference past 60Hz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Montgomerie

Quick one for ya'll, don't think it needs it's own thread. Looking at buying an R9 290. Gotta know if I need to upgrade the PSU first? If so, what am I looking for? The PSU is a 550W Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus. Rest of the machine is as follows...

mobo ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    cpu i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz
    Hyper 212 EVO cooler
    ram 8GB GSkill PC3-1066
    120GB Samsung SSD 830 series
    1 TB Sata HD
    cheap optical drive and 3 case fans

cheers!

Nah, you'll be grand with what you have.

Quick one for ya'll, don't think it needs it's own thread. Looking at buying an R9 290. Gotta know if I need to upgrade the PSU first? If so, what am I looking for? The PSU is a 550W Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus. Rest of the machine is as follows...

mobo ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    cpu i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz
    Hyper 212 EVO cooler
    ram 8GB GSkill PC3-1066
    120GB Samsung SSD 830 series
    1 TB Sata HD
    cheap optical drive and 3 case fans

cheers!

YOu should be fine.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/12/10/xfx_radeon_r9_290_double_dissipation_edition_review/9#.VNpLFfmsXFA

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Montgomerie

Cool, thanks for that one lads. I'm looking at the Sapphire AMD Radeon Vapor-X R9 290 Tri-X

It's coming in about 372 euro incl delivery from Amazon. Can't seem to see it cheaper anywhere else. Bout a tenner more on dabs and 389 on elara. Anywhere else I might pick it up cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Sapphire-Vapor-X-Graphics-Express-Display/product/B00LTOWAUO

It has been better in the past, if you wanted to wait you could sit on it and gamble on catching a price drop.

N64 wrote: »
    hmm, ordered a artic frezer 13 pro, installed that and the cpu STILL reaches 100c with the prime95 :mad: cleaned it using ArctiClean and I didn't apply the thermal grease myself (it was pre-applied mx-4) No idea what's going on here. Idle temps to seem to be a bit lower though

Stop using Prime to stress the CPU. Some stress tests that utilise AVX instructions absolutely rape the CPU no matter how good your cooling is.

Granted you number do seem a bit crazy. Try this stress test. http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=520

This is a very real world load and will allow you to appropriately test your chip under more "normal" conditions.

By the way, what model CPU is this? When i installed a devil's canyon chip on my Z87 board the stock voltage was *extremely* high (probably due to the stock clocks being higher than haswell) at 1.35v~ which is much too hot for even high end air cooling to handle.

Check what your CPU voltage hits under load.

Cool, thanks for that one lads. I'm looking at the Sapphire AMD Radeon Vapor-X R9 290 Tri-X

It's coming in about 372 euro incl delivery from Amazon. Can't seem to see it cheaper anywhere else. Bout a tenner more on dabs and 389 on elara. Anywhere else I might pick it up cheaper?

That's too expensive. It's 295 euro on Hardwareversand via Geizhals (12 euro shipping).

• Registered Users Posts: 53,945 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What is that tool called that traces ethernet cables at the patch panel?

It relies on different sounds. It helps to trace where that cable is in the patch panel. By connecting a little machine at one side and then using pen like shape tool to go through all the ports and cables at the patch panel?

Anyone know of any 29-ish, 21:9 curved monitors present, or coming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,945 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Headshot wrote: »
    What is that tool called that traces ethernet cables at the patch panel?

It relies on different sounds. It helps to trace where that cable is in the patch panel. By connecting a little machine at one side and then using pen like shape tool to go through all the ports and cables at the patch panel?

Got it

Was a tone generator and probe I was thinking off. Great bit of equipment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement