Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

€500k and only 3 monitors? Can you not figure out how to add more?
    2329991390_70b23155d3_m.jpg
    x-clacks-overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

You forgot to mention the RGB ROG logo on the back of the monitor :pac: (wish I was joking). But yeah, expensive as feck, I'd say. Think Acer are bringing out a model based on the same panel.

I have the same stand on mine, turned the damn light off within 2 min of powering it up :) Looks like an interesting monitor, I wonder how it will stack up compared to an IPS panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Qualcomm throwing their hat into the ring with Windows 10 devices.

http://www.pcgamer.com/qualcomms-snapdragon-835-prepares-for-battle-with-intel-and-amd-on-pc/?utm_content=bufferfbe7f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

Interesting to see if Mediatek try something similar, or if AMD and Intel move more towards ARM

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Im still skeptical it'll be anything other than a horrible user experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Check out this thread.

Guy selling an Alienware laptop from 2011, but claims he paid 2k in 2016 for it, and it can run any AAA games at 60fps.

Actually turns down an offer for 1k - for a 2nd gen i7 with an AMD 6970.

Not sure if he's deliberately trying to mislead people (I'd believe so with the alleged 2k paid in 2016) or just incredibly naive.

It's so hard not to comment on ads like this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

An M17x! I bought one, an R1: P8600 dual core, GTX 260M, 4GB DDR2 and a 1600x900 display. Still my favourite laptop ever. It was the first laptop released by Alienware post-acquisition by Dell.

I've never held anything with the same build quality since. Probably because back in those days "thin and light" wasn't really a thing, so they went nuts on the materials. The whole thing was wrapped in what must have been 2-3mm aluminium, and had some sort of carbon composite inner chassis. I dropped the laptop from about a metre off a wood floor once. Laptop was fine, floor still had a dent.

/memory lane trip.

Guy's charging far too much, though I'm actually impressed he's managed to get an offer for €1.2K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The HD6970M is about as fast as something like a 940M you'd find in a €500 new laptop, or a €350 2nd hand one.

It's incredible what people will pay for the 'Alienware' name and fancy lights. Imagine handing over a grand for that and getting home to enjoy the latest games at 800x600 low settings!

There was a guy selling an Alienware a while back as well with a 2Ghz Core 2 Quad and an Nvidia 9400M from about 2006 looking for €700 and getting offers for €500 he was turning down. :eek:

I dunno how people do it, I could never mislead someone so criminally badly.

Funny thing: I bought mine for €1,350 ($1,799).

Now, this was in the US, so it was quite a bit cheaper, even counting the exchange rate; I think the same model was going for around €1,600 here.

Something to be said for Alienwares holding their value I guess. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Check out this thread.

Guy selling an Alienware laptop from 2011, but claims he paid 2k in 2016 for it, and it can run any AAA games at 60fps.

Actually turns down an offer for 1k - for a 2nd gen i7 with an AMD 6970.

Not sure if he's deliberately trying to mislead people (I'd believe so with the alleged 2k paid in 2016) or just incredibly naive.

comes with a free charger worth £80 bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Honestly I think some people just don't understand selling used second hand items. "Oh I paid €300 for this graphics card 3 years ago I want €280 for it now".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what about this 49" monitor, 1080 though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Looks great for gaming. Awful for windows use. Also massively overpriced for what is essentially 2 x 1080p monitors with a curve and without a bezel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

$1499 for a 1080p panel, damn thats crazy, pity it isnt a 1440p panel

Yes and no. If you look at it from the dual monitor setup, it's a curved QLED HDR 144Hz 1080p panel for $700. It's expensive, but when you consider the additional manufacturing challenges presented by the fact that this isn't two panels, it's understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

It says he got it last year "refurbished". reckon he got ripped off, and only realizing it now :P

What is the deal with prices for RX 580's?. Over £100 more expensive than the same RX480's were last year.

I paid £199 for the 480 version of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Joshua J wrote: »
    What is the deal with prices for RX 580's?. Over £100 more expensive than the same RX480's were last year.

I paid £199 for the 480 version of this.

But this is a 580, not a 480

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

580 is essentially a re-branded 480 anyway. Saying that you picked one of the worst prices on that. It's much cheaper on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SAPPHIRE-Radeon-NITRO-2xHDMI-Graphics/dp/B071CFN75H/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1497284534&sr=8-15&keywords=580

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭game4it70

470,480,570 and 580 cards are rarer than hen's teeth atm with the mining craze.
    Used 480's are going for over £300 on ebay.

Ocuk got 200 units of 570's in today and where sold out inn 10 minutes :eek:

game4it70 wrote: »
    470,480,570 and 580 cards are rarer than hen's teeth atm with the mining craze.
    Used 480's are going for over £300 on ebay.

Ocuk got 200 units of 570's in today and where sold out inn 10 minutes :eek:
    That must be it. There's a 470 on adverts looking €290. They were £160 new. Madness. Half tempted to put my 480 up lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Think someone else said it, but watch out for a glut of used, overpriced & poorly maintained AMD cards in the coming year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭game4it70

Joshua J wrote: »
    That must be it. There's a 470 on adverts looking €290. They were £160 new. Madness. Half tempted to put my 480 up lol.

Yes crazy prices.It must be worth it to the buyers once the bubble doesn't burst any time soon.

Afaik Ocuk are actually selling custom cards to business customers only that are made specifically for mining.They have no video outputs and only come with a 90 day warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Etherium mining is driving up the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anything that drives up the BTC value is fine by me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,849 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

me the whole way through that article: ok what's the catch

$6,000

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

how does this mining work exactly? i remember a friend of mine a few years ago tried to set a group of us up to do it but it never materialized. And why are amd cards so much better at it? Is it worth it with nvidia?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

how does this mining work exactly? i remember a friend of mine a few years ago tried to set a group of us up to do it but it never materialized. And why are amd cards so much better at it? Is it worth it with nvidia?

I'm no expert but I know AMD cards have very good asynchronous compute maybe that is why.

This is an old article but I'd say it still holds value.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/153467-amd-destroys-nvidia-bitcoin-mining

• Registered Users Posts: 53,849 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Thinking of getting a Nintendo Switch when the new Maria game comes out

Not sure yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Seems miners are willing to buy RX cards at 350-400 (if reddit users are to be believed).

I guess if you're not fussed about mining, you could just trade it for a GTX 1070.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement