Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

1440p monitor sounds like a better investment if you're going for that screen size and sticking with a 1070. G-sync if you can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

A quick read suggests it uses hdmi 1.4, meaning 4K @ 30fps only :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I got one of these last year from Amazon warehouse. It's a great job. Games look good on it but I'm not a pro gamer and I only game at 60fps. (No freesync or Gsync on it).

ASUS PB278QR 27 inch IPS Professional Monitor (300cd/m2, 2560 x 1440, 5 ms, HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI VGA) - Black:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LGE29SK/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_ZDrrzb5RBTS16

P.S. Don't know if 32 inch is the panel size you need or the max physical space you have.

• Advertisement

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

Seems to fit the bill nicely, cheers. Freesync though, which means no adaptive sync with my 1070...unless I buy red next time. What's the story in this situation, do I have to rely on vsync where there's an nvidia/amd mismatch display tech wise?
    I got one of these last year from Amazon warehouse. It's a great job. Games look good on it but I'm not a pro gamer and I only game at 60fps. (No freesync or Gsync on it).

ASUS PB278QR 27 inch IPS Professional Monitor (300cd/m2, 2560 x 1440, 5 ms, HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI VGA) - Black:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LGE29SK/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_ZDrrzb5RBTS16

P.S. Don't know if 32 inch is the panel size you need or the max physical space you have.

Looks good too, 1440p though. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Ah yes. Missed the 4k bit. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you'll also be using it for the XB1X I would say just get a 4K TV with HDR - not sure what's out there in TV's that size though. A 4k monitor with HDR would set you back a fortune and HDR is not common at all on monitors either.

If you head over the Playstation forum there would be a lot of guys would be able to advise you there on what 4K/HDR series TV's are particularly good for console gaming as quite a few would have the PS4 Pro.

If you'll also be using it for the XB1X I would say just get a 4K TV with HDR - not sure what's out there in TV's that size though. A 4k monitor with HDR would set you back a fortune and HDR is not common at all on monitors either.

If you head over the Playstation forum there would be a lot of guys would be able to advise you there on what 4K/HDR series TV's are particularly good for console gaming as quite a few would have the PS4 Pro.

Yeah cheers I had a quick look at that thread, most of the popular 4K TVs are just way bigger than the 32" I can fit. HDR I can take or leave, am far more interested in a smooth frame rate. It'd be a mix between console use and pc use so am edging more so toward a pc monitor given the smaller sizes and better specs.

Gsync is a damned expensive feature though, so may have to compromise on that

I have a PS4 Pro too and use a Bravia 4K TV with it. It's a 49" so not much use to you but i think with 4K tv's the bigger the better but like yourself i can only fit a 49" into the space i have. Anything over that just wasn't going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

theres a fairly active thread for 4k tvs in the xbox forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057653402&page=25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

I would fell disappointed with the input lag on those screens if I shelled out that much, especially for a gaming screen. IMO better off with the 40" 4K Philips or Korean models like the Wasabi Mango.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Inviere wrote: »
    Seems to fit the bill nicely, cheers. Freesync though,

The XB1X will support Freesync so at least you'll get the use out of it with that.

Edit: Might be HDMI 2.1 only.

The XB1X will support Freesync so at least you'll get the use out of it with that.

Edit: Might be HDMI 2.1 only.

Yeah think I read xb1x will support freesync 2. I might wait until next year for the fs2 panels, the 1070 I have wouldn't tiddle 4k@60 anyway, so might hold off until the 1080ti's drop a bit...then I can get the use out a 4K screen!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,849 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Can I ask a kind soul that has windows 7 professional to maybe PM me there key so I can use it to download the ISO here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Unfortunately it would recognise OEM key which I have so I just need the ISO

Of course I wont do anything with the key pm'd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ark: Survival Evolved developer has compared how it's shaping up on the XB1X to a PC with a GTX1070 and 16GB ram. I'm genuinely excited about this console (I have an XB1 but I've always felt the current gen was totally underwhelming since launch day compared to the 360/PS3 gen).

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ark: Survival Evolved developer has compared how it's shaping up on the XB1X to a PC with a GTX1070 and 16GB ram. I'm genuinely excited about this console (I have an XB1 but I've always felt the current gen was totally underwhelming since launch day compared to the 360/PS3 gen).

The Shadow of War devs said it runs at native 4k on it, 30fps though. I think 30fps will be what we'll see most 4k games run at on it with the odd exception like Forza at 60. A lot saying the CPU will hold it back in terms of framerates.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,849 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys does anyone have a Vertagear Triigger 350 and can share their thoughts on it.

Im worried being 6ft 4 may not be ideal for this chair

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Dimitri from Hardware Canucks uses one, and he seems pretty tall. Dunno if he's 6'4" though.

• Advertisement

Just a tech question on this and similar monitors...they're all 4k@60, but if the resolution is lower than 4k, can they refresh higher than 60hz, or is it a hard cap regardless of resolution?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

It's not like phones and cameras; that's more to do with the sensor. In this case we're talking about the panel, and they're virtually always a hard cap; lowering the resolution won't help.

Serephucus wrote: »
    It's not like phones and cameras; that's more to do with the sensor. In this case we're talking about the panel, and they're virtually always a hard cap; lowering the resolution won't help.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The Shadow of War devs said it runs at native 4k on it, 30fps though. I think 30fps will be what we'll see most 4k games run at on it with the odd exception like Forza at 60. A lot saying the CPU will hold it back in terms of framerates.

As powerful as this is compared to current consoles it's still not good enough for native 4k without big compromises on settings and frame rate. Most games will upscale to 4k to get 60fps.

I doubt the cpu is holding it back much if 4k/30 is the target. Granted it's still going to use crappy jaguar cores. No idea why they didn't use ryzen or the mobile version of ryzen in this. I guess it just wasn't ready in time.

BloodBath wrote: »
    As powerful as this is compared to current consoles it's still not good enough for native 4k without big compromises on settings and frame rate. Most games will upscale to 4k to get 60fps.

I doubt the cpu is holding it back much if 4k/30 is the target. Granted it's still going to use crappy jaguar cores. No idea why they didn't use ryzen or the mobile version of ryzen in this. I guess it just wasn't ready in time.

Probably a cost thing too. I don't think there'll be much upscaling going on like with the PS4 pro/xb1 s. I think they would have danced around it a lot more if the machine can't actually do native 4k (like they did with the "exclusives")

As regards cpu holding it back, I believe the thinking is they'd be aiming for 60fps in most games if it wasn't holding it back.

How are they achieving that on the XB1X, 4k@60 is 1080ti material isn't it? I guess the details are significantly reduced to push the frame rate up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I saw a Digital Foundry video about Anthem's 4K demo recently. It mentioned some type of rendering technique used to help with framerates. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Checkerboard rendering.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Inviere wrote: »
    How are they achieving that on the XB1X, 4k@60 is 1080ti material isn't it? I guess the details are significantly reduced to push the frame rate up?

30fps will still be the norm in most titles, dynamic resolution, checker-board rendering, console tricks with shadows/lighting/reflections, limited rendering distance. Basically, what can we cut out that won't be immediately visually noticeable.

Still pretty impressive considering the hardware and cost though.

Checkerboard Rendering is used on the PS4 Pro. It just upscales the resolution. It doesn't effect the FPS afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Checkerboard Rendering is used on the PS4 Pro. It just upscales the resolution. It doesn't effect the FPS afaik.

Sort of. It renders a portion of a scene at 50%, then applies a upscale to it. Reduces graphics load but works quite well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement