Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Headshot wrote: »
    Thinking of getting a Nintendo Switch when the new Maria game comes out

Not sure yet

same as, particularly now that theve announced a main pokemon rpg for it

• Registered Users Posts: 53,849 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

same as, particularly now that theve announced a main pokemon rpg for it

Bloody addictive games.

Remember being a child and spending hours and hours at those games on the gameboy colour

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Headshot wrote: »
    Bloody addictive games.

Remember being a child and spending hours and hours at those games on the gameboy colour

same as, i remember the first time i played one was on holidays with my parents when i was a kid, got a gameboy color and red for next to nothing and spent 2 weeks playing it :D

The switch is getting some great stuff tbh, first time ever a main pokemon has come out on a console so you know nintendo mean business this time around. Only problem is trying to find one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's a pity Nintendo wouldn't just give up making ****ty under powered hardware. Their strength has always been their in house games. I think they would make a lot more money releasing their games on other consoles and PC.

You're basically paying €350-400 up front for crappy hardware to play maybe 5 Nintendo games at an additional €60 each. That's about €140 per game. Not worth it imo. A fully working Emulator will be available within a year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

BloodBath wrote: »
    It's a pity Nintendo wouldn't just give up making ****ty under powered hardware. Their strength has always been their in house games. I think they would make a lot more money releasing their games on other consoles and PC.

You're basically paying €350-400 up front for crappy hardware to play maybe 5 Nintendo games at an additional €60 each. That's about €140 per game. Not worth it imo. A fully working Emulator will be available within a year anyway.

I am 110% certain that you will never see a Nintendo game on a Xbox or PS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Bought a 1080Ti from Amazon.de last week. Then the weekend, they announced anyone who buys one gets Destiny 2 free. I asked Amazon support and they said they couldn't give me a code but if I wanted, I could return it & repurchase it. Obviously I don't want to do this. Has this happened anyone before, do you think contacting Nvidia would help or am I just out of luck? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

me the whole way through that article: ok what's the catch

$6,000

I was expecting 20k. 6 isn't much more than an OLED 4K TV.

That's not much of a catch.

Ordinary wealthy people can afford that.

What'll it be in 5 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Seems miners are willing to buy RX cards at 350-400 (if reddit users are to be believed).

I guess if you're not fussed about mining, you could just trade it for a GTX 1070.

Hmm are they buying r9 290x? I'd be tempted to cash in mine if they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

xtal191 wrote: »

Not sure as I'm clueless about mining but I have noticed on adverts that even reference R9 290's are selling for more in the last few days than they have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

xtal191 wrote: »
    I'm also fairly clueless about mining but had a bit of a look at what the fuss was about. They run them 6 to a machine with custom firmware modified as much for power efficiency as ram timings (and targeting performance/watt not performance) so I don't think there's a lot of hope of them buying your 250W TDP r9 290X for a majorly inflated price ;) People who went and bought freesync monitors (and Nvidia haters) who can't find a 470/480/570/580 for a sane price might explain the bump TerrorFirmer has spotted?

• Advertisement

I am 110% certain that you will never see a Nintendo game on a Xbox or PS.

I know. Nintendo would have went the way of Sega long ago if it wasn't for the strength of their in house games.

They stopped competing with Sony and Microsoft long ago though. Now they make niche under powered hardware at a lower price with the hope that people buy it in addition to their Xbox/Playstation/PC or for their kids.

That model is holding up for them but I think they would be a more profitable company if they focused on games and dropped the hardware. The switch has sold around 3 million units so far. It will sell maybe 12 million units in it's lifespan. There's 130 million active Steam users and another 90 or so million Xbox1/playstation 4 users.

They also have a huge back catalogue of games they could sell to these markets instead of having people emulate them for free.
    minitrue wrote: »
    I'm also fairly clueless about mining but had a bit of a look at what the fuss was about. They run them 6 to a machine with custom firmware modified as much for power efficiency as ram timings (and targeting performance/watt not performance) so I don't think there's a lot of hope of them buying your 250W TDP r9 290X for a majorly inflated price ;) People who went and bought freesync monitors (and Nvidia haters) who can't find a 470/480/570/580 for a sane price might explain the bump TerrorFirmer has spotted?

Mining Etherium atm is very profitable if you have low energy prices. It's not really viable in Ireland. A single rig running 6 x 480/580's can net around $900-$1000 a month profit if the energy price is right though. You could run nightsaver hours here only. 10 hours a day and make around $400 a month though.

Of course all of that is subject to the value of the currency.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I know. Nintendo would have went the way of Sega long ago if it wasn't for the strength of their in house games.

Nintendo would have gone the way of sega had they taken the path sega took, they took their own path which is why they have such a very very healthy bank balance. I'm no Nintendo lover but there's no fear of this 100+ year old company biting the dust any time soon, and if that ever looks likely they can always do what you're suggesting they do right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Here's someones opening into the world of mining :eek:

http://www.adverts.ie/graphics-cards/6x-rx-470-4gb-strix-160mh-s/13136658

That's a joke. €1200 new worth of cards for €2400 second hand that were run 24/7 in a mining rig.

Not even worth your while in Ireland. At his price it would take you about 6 months to pay off the cards alone running night saver hours only. Who knows where Etherium prices will be in 6 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

That's a joke. €1200 new worth of cards for €2400 second hand that were run 24/7 in a mining rig.

Not even worth your while in Ireland. At his price it would take you about 6 months to pay off the cards alone running night saver hours only. Who knows where Etherium prices will be in 6 months time.

Reminds me of comments I heard about the gold rush in the US, they say the only ones making money were those selling equipment and supplies

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Joshua J wrote: »
    Here's someones opening into the world of mining :eek:

http://www.adverts.ie/graphics-cards/6x-rx-470-4gb-strix-160mh-s/13136658

Looks very like a office in terms of desk/paintjob. Handy when somebody else pays the electricity bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Return on investment is 105 days though? Seems like a massive gamble that the price isn't going to drop in the next few months.

Also, does anyone know how important the CPU is in all of this? I know everything important is done on the cards but could you run this on a Celeron or a really old CPU? Or is there a minimum requirement for the CPU as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

farna_boy wrote: »
    Return on investment is 105 days though? Seems like a massive gamble that the price isn't going to drop in the next few months.

Also, does anyone know how important the CPU is in all of this? I know everything important is done on the cards but could you run this on a Celeron or a really old CPU? Or is there a minimum requirement for the CPU as well?

Afaik the CPU does very little work. I read an article before and they said they disabled all but 2 cores and undervolted as well so you use as little power as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

farna_boy wrote: »

105 days seems about right. Average price per KW/h at somewhere around 11.5 cent. That's just for the cards. You're going to want a plat+ rated 1200W+ PSU + all the rest to go with that and dedicate it 24/7 to mining in a spare room.

Saying that you could get a much quicker return on investment if you just bought the cards yourself and set them up similar. He's massively overcharging for the work he's done there. A basic wooden frame and some tweaking of settings.

I think these Etherium prices are in a bubble atm anyway. There's a hell of a lot of exposure and people investing in it atm. Price is going up and down like crazy as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I may be misremembering this, but I recall there was a website you could knock an amazon link into and it would give you a discount after a few days. Can't for the life of me find it.

Does anyone have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I may be misremembering this, but I recall there was a website you could knock an amazon link into and it would give you a discount after a few days. Can't for the life of me find it.

Does anyone have a link?

Flubit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭savemejebus

It used be flubit, not sure if it still works. https://flubit.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Flubit it was, cheers gents

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Wouldn't it be smarter just to buy a few of those new coins while they are at low price and just keep them stashed up for a while.

I am still kicking myself not buying a few of bitcoins for ****s and giggles back then.

Whole mining is definitely not something I would do and its not really viable doing it in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wouldn't it be smarter just to buy a few of those new coins while they are at low price and just keep them stashed up for a while.

I am still kicking myself not buying a few of bitcoins for ****s and giggles back then.

Whole mining is definitely not something I would do and its not really viable doing it in ireland.

Problem is there are so many altcoins, you could "invest" E100 each in 20 different cryptocurrencies and none of them may take off like BTC has.

It's more profitable that I thought TBH. Especially if you have nightsaver.

Around €800-1000 profit a month per 6 card system at around 160 MH/s.

It's the volatility of the price I'd be afraid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just reflowed my MicroSD reader with my kitchen oven, always a delight when that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

ED E wrote: »
    Just reflowed my MicroSD reader with my kitchen oven, always a delight when that works.

Should have stuck some flapjacks on at the same time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Folks, am considering a 4K panel of some description, be it a tv or monitor. The issue is, for space reasons, 32" is the upper limit of what I can physically fit in where it needs to be. At the mo a 1080p tv is doing the job of being monitor for a pc running a 1070, and later this year an Xbox 1X.

Would I be better off considering a monitor over a TV? If so, are there any recommendations for a max 32" monitor that's affordable, and well rated for gaming on?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement