Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Where do ye normally get rid of old ****e bits and pieces of computer things ye have accumulated over the years?

I hate throwing things out (i'll rue the day when i need it!) but have a couple of things, don't know if i could give them away or should it just be for the bin?

Just emptied out one press and came across:
    2 x 1 GB DDR2 Laptop Ram
    Old Intel T3200 laptop CPU
    90 degree PCI slot adaptor
    Molex to six pin power adaptor

Are they for bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The molex adapter might be handy some day.
    The 90? adapter is niche enough that I'd keep it, and probably try and find something to use it for, just for giggles.
    The rest is probably bin-worthy (although you could make a decent start on a Christmas wreath if you wanted)

Serephucus wrote: »
    The molex adapter might be handy some day.
    The 90? adapter is niche enough that I'd keep it, and probably try and find something to use it for, just for giggles.
    The rest is probably bin-worthy (although you could make a decent start on a Christmas wreath if you wanted)

Bin it is then - bar maybe the molex adaptors (x2)! The 90 adaptor is for the older PCI slot, so on further consideration I don't think it will be much use to anybody!

I'm hoping i never have enough of this stuff to consider making festive decorations out of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Were they all definitely direct from amazon? A lot of PC components come from third party sellers on there.

Yup, all directly from Amazon. Got on to their live chat support and asked them...they said they were being fulfilled by different fulfilment centres hence why they're being sent out separately. Asked them to group whatever they can and they happily obliged. Will wait and see if that happens now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

New Nvidia GT 1030

Already showing up for €75-80; this will be a big impact on AMD in the HTPC/productivity market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

OK price point as well, gap between it and the GTX1050 is around €30-40.

Remember the GT740, barely cheaper than a GTX750 and about 50% slower. AMD has gone and done that with the RX550....a rather pointless card overall.

Good to see a more sensible approach with clearly defined pricing tiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Anybody any dealings with play-asia?. Seems good deal for an RX 580.

http://www.play-asia.com/msi-radeon-rx-580-armor-8g-oc-8gb-gddr5/13/70b4mv?ref=froogle_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Joshua J wrote: »

http://www.play-asia.com/msi-radeon-rx-580-armor-8g-oc-8gb-gddr5/13/70b4mv?ref=froogle_ie

That is a good deal and an extra 5% off if you use paypal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Their warehouses are in Asia, so you'll probably get hit by import tax & an RMA would be a pain (have to send it to Hong Kong...)
    Avoid for PC parts.

So lads need a graphics card have a 380W psu only has one 6 pin connector. Was hoping to get a GTX 970 in but (i) I'd have to use a 6pin to 8 pin connector and it would (ii) be touching the limit of the psu. Any recs on a card, old or new, that would suit for 1080p med to high?.

Edit: Should add that budget about €100-150.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

A 1050ti would probably be your best bet then. This one won't be too overclockable as it doesn't use any power connector but it's probably the best you can do for around 150. Change the seller to Amazon to get free delivery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Palit-GTX1050TI-StormX-128-Bit-Graphics/dp/B01M2ZC61B/ref=sr_1_5?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1495394275&sr=1-5&keywords=gtx+1050ti

Or you could go a bit over budget for this one which is clocked higher and will overclock higher. It uses a single 6 pin and has a much better cooler. Well worth the extra 15 imo.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Graphics-Cards/Gigabyte-NVIDIA-GeForce-GDDR5-Memory-Express-Black/B01MEHGRMS/ref=sr_1_14?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1495394838&sr=1-14&keywords=gtx+1050ti

BloodBath wrote: »
    A 1050ti would probably be your best bet then. This one won't be too overclockable as it doesn't use any power connector but it's probably the best you can do for around 150. Change the seller to Amazon to get free delivery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Palit-GTX1050TI-StormX-128-Bit-Graphics/dp/B01M2ZC61B/ref=sr_1_5?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1495394275&sr=1-5&keywords=gtx+1050ti

Or you could go a bit over budget for this one which is clocked higher and will overclock higher. It uses a single 6 pin and has a much better cooler. Well worth the extra 15 imo.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Graphics-Cards/Gigabyte-NVIDIA-GeForce-GDDR5-Memory-Express-Black/B01MEHGRMS/ref=sr_1_14?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1495394838&sr=1-14&keywords=gtx+1050ti
    There was one going on Adverts for 110 there few days ago but in Dublin of course too far away. What about a GTX 770?. Was thinking of a 960 but rare as hens teeth 2nd hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Wondering if I should get dust filters for my Air 540 or just get a new case entirely! I quite like the case, but the only dust filters that are any good are 75 euro for a full set as they are custom made.

What are some good, windowed, simple full tower cases on the market right now? I'd probably end up getting a Fractal Design Define as I'm a fan of Fractal's cases in general and have built two PCs in the R5, it's pretty nice, and the R3 I used to have (now my server) was extremely quiet.

So lads need a graphics card have a 380W psu only has one 6 pin connector. Was hoping to get a GTX 970 in but (i) I'd have to use a 6pin to 8 pin connector and it would (ii) be touching the limit of the psu. Any recs on a card, old or new, that would suit for 1080p med to high?.

Edit: Should add that budget about €100-150.

If it's a good quality 380w PSU and as long as your other components aren't power hungry like an FX processor a GTX1060 or RX470 should be fine.

But if the budget is strictly 150 then the GTX1050Ti is the only option though it's a lot slower than something like a GTX970.

What models is your PSU and what are the rest of your specs? You may get by with a GTX970 using molex adaptors.

If it's a good quality 380w PSU and as long as your other components aren't power hungry like an FX processor a GTX1060 or RX470 should be fine.

But if the budget is strictly 150 then the GTX1050Ti is the only option though it's a lot slower than something like a GTX970.

What models is your PSU and what are the rest of your specs? You may get by with a GTX970 using molex adaptors.

Antec green 80 bronze, i5 4460, ssd, hdd. I put specs into a watt calc and came back 321W (with 970) load need min 371W PSU thought might be too close for comfort. It's just for a 2nd machine at the mothers for when stay over why I don't want to spend too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

If that's the case then the 1050TI is just fine. Just notch down the settings slightly and the 1050TI would plough through 99% of games no problem.

Would you be comfortable putting a 970 with that spec Terrorfirmer?. If not I'll get a 1050ti but as you say same money but better performance from a 2nd hand 970.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lukie1234

Hey guys just wondering where the cheapest place to buy an i7 6700k is at the moment? I saw they dropped in price a while back but they seem fairly rare 2nd hand or just cheaper than 350 euro. Thanks in advance.

Would you be comfortable putting a 970 with that spec Terrorfirmer?. If not I'll get a 1050ti but as you say same money but better performance from a 2nd hand 970.

I would say it should be OK. For it to require 321w (and I believe that to be erring on the safe side even - I would have imagined it would draw about 280w under load) would mean under 100% CPU and GPU load combined, it would mostly draw probably far less than that.

But peaks of 300-320w should be fine on that Antec as it's a decent unit. The other thing though is that I've no idea how efficient it would be at that higher load or how loud the PSU fan might be either.

Not a bad idea to spend that €150 on a new 500w PSU like an EVGA or Corsair basic model for €45 and spend the €100 on something like a 2nd hand GTX770 or GTX680, still fairly solid performers at 1080p and can be upgraded later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lukie1234

Wow just checked the TDP of the 1050ti. Its crazy efficient, you probably already know the website but I just looked up- video card benchmark.net and picked the mega gpu page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,904 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I think it's ugly. Once upon a time it was a nice case but the design is really dated now imo. Inside and out. Also it's €350. There's far better cases out there for less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ReZonator

My brother bought the original for crazy money. It's huge!
    It's not catering to my taste either, but I'm a cheapskate. As in, 100r cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

anyone have any idea if theres such a thing as a female hdmi to 2 male hdmi splitter cable? ive my pc and ps4 on my desk and ive a 10foot hdmi lead running to my tv but ive to keep switching devices which is a bit of a pita

anyone have any idea if theres such a thing as a female hdmi to 2 male hdmi splitter cable? ive my pc and ps4 on my desk and ive a 10foot hdmi lead running to my tv but ive to keep switching devices which is a bit of a pita

A HDMI switch?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0020426AG/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1495636904&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=hdmi+switch&dpPl=1&dpID=41PzEb56WVL&ref=plSrch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

that sounds like exactly what i need thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Headshot wrote: »

A bit of a difference there

Bricks and mortar, online. Cant really compare the two.

ED E wrote: »

That's true in a sense but the price difference is far to big

I would of expected the price in the 500 range in bricks and mortar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭dunworth1

ED E wrote: »

actually when you compare it to maplins price of €445
    its a pretty steep difference

http://www.maplin.ie/p/samsung-850-evo-1tb-sataiii-25inch-ssd-a65tk

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement