Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting technician course 2014/15

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭juncert

Have not looked at sample papers really, just doing 2015 2014 and reading the book,
    good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

How did u get on?
    Everyone I. My class thought it was fine but I personally struggled . :( prob failed and be back in August

I thought it was a fair paper, but a lot of workings. Very spread out with sub questions. You never know how you did, i thought last year I did really badly in a paper and it was my best exam. Good luck, now on to the last one!

Hey Juncert, what did u think?

Spent to long on questions 1-3 and really cut time short for the last 2 question. Got them done I feel I passed it, fingers crossed. It was a really long paper I had done no mock in it so first time I did a full paper, our teacher was really bad so if I pass, it will be down to my work not his. What did you think?

• Advertisement

juncert wrote: »
    Spent to long on questions 1-3 and really cut time short for the last 2 question. Got them done I feel I passed it, fingers crossed. It was a really long paper I had done no mock in it so first time I did a full paper, our teacher was really bad so if I pass, it will be down to my work not his. What did you think?

I think I did enough to get the 50% but I def failed tax and hopefully passed the rest

Went for few drinks tonight thank god to celebrate it all over so so delighted it's finished for another while hahah

Good luck, fingers crossed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Have applied to start this course in September but after reading this thread I'm terrified!

I have little to no accounting experience & my field in college was completely unrelated to this course.

I struggled big time with maths in school, achieving only a D3 in pass in my leaving cert.

Any words of advice from anyone who has done this course? Is it a course more suited to those who have previously worked in finance or will someone like me, with little experience to speak of, struggle?

Also the course I'm doing is over 2 years, 2 evenings a week. How much outside study and work will be involved outside of these hours? Just trying to get an idea as I'll be working full time too. Thanks in advance!

Hi ya
    DO NOT BE worried

I had zero accounting or business as I NEVER did it in school and started knowing Absoultely nothing for the accounting technician. You have picked the perfect corse in fact because year 1 teaches you all of the basics from maths to double entry to the terminology to the basic law for accounting

Year 2 builds on the fundamentals and goes into more advanced level based on information taught in year 1

The maths is fine it is simple Multiple divide subtract and addition and percentages which u will be taught(and if not use google)
    Eg what is 10% of €100

Remember what your reading above we have all studied and knew nothing at the start .

You do not need to be a whiz at maths or even extremely strong .

Accounting is all about theory of how money and transactions are accounted for within the correct manner and the maths will follow in basic methods

You will do Absoultely fine. It is very doable and the course will have people aged 18->50 with little or basic experience from school leavers or people looking to return to study

There is great online tuition support (videos etc) and YouTube videos in addition to the detailed text books and boards.ie for chats . I worked full time and attended 2 evenings a week but study is required from the start. I had zero finance experience (worked in call centre ) and knew Absoultely nothing About finance( and you don't need to)

Remember you will start from the very basics but my advice is study on weekends and evenings the chapters covered during the weeks as the work load for 4 modules can become a lot quite fast .

Best of luck and don't be doubting yourself !!! (Seriously) it's very doable and remember you do not need ANY accounting or business studies experience at all. This is taught to you. Accounting technician is the perfect course to gather a grounding and you may look at further study options such as Aca Acca cima CPA etc which are different accounting bodies all offering there qualification (don't worry about this anyway just be aware you can enter this professional exams after accounting technician and with exemptions from accounting technician)

This is the course is FOR . To teach you
    Good luck and chin up, you should be looking forward to it , not worried

From
    a one time complete novice and person who struggled at maths student too
    Btw . I'm finished the 2 year course

How did everyone do? results are out.

• Advertisement

Failed Tax and IAS,gutted but expected to fail tax. I wasn't prepared enough and left all my study till last minute. So I'm gonna take positives from this and belt on for the 2 repeats.
    Yourself? No point dwelling over spilt milk now .trying to be positive.

Sorry to hear about tax and ias, but onward and upward 2 down 2 to go.Good luck. Im happy, passed all, thank God.

Advertisement