Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting technician course 2014/15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Foxylocks

Have to say I'm loving the course...lecturers are so nice although our BM lecturer tends to ramble A LOT!!! Loving the taxation and law. Financial accounting is very detailed, I think I might struggle a bit with this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭juncert

Are you fulltime foxylocks?Looking to see how any part-time people are doing,we seem to be doing 4 chapers a week, finding its a lot and trying to study and read through next week chapters as well.4-6 hours outside college.How is everyone else finding it?

No I'm part time juncert and working full time too and 2 kiddies.....tough going but has to be done

I see knowledge point is online now,so i will try to use that as well.Was trying to get the first chapter of law in to my head yesteday,are you doing the 4 subject in one week or 2 subjects every 2nd week?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mendes_lol

juncert wrote: »
    I see knowledge point is online now,so i will try to use that as well.Was trying to get the first chapter of law in to my head yesteday,are you doing the 4 subject in one week or 2 subjects every 2nd week?

I'm part time as well and doing 4 a week and not easy going at all, cannot get definitions into my head and hard to find time for all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

I am currently studying Part time. I have 2 classes a week so I am studying the 4 modules over a 2 week period. I started on the 18/9/14 and tomorrow is my 2nd class of business management.

There is a lot to learn alright. I asked my teachers about learning definitions ‘off by heart’ and he said it isn’t necessary but you do need to understand and explain them if request but not the exact way they are displayed in the books.

The Lecturers are ok, Wouldn’t say the best ever. My financial accounting teacher isn’t great at explaining the processes or theory in detail and I found I understand more by reading the book itself.

On the other hand I find the business management,taxation and law teachers good.

I would recommend to anyone studying just attempt the exam papers over and over to get a grasp of the questions.

I’m personally finding the financial accounting the most ‘difficult’ so far(and we aren’t far in) and finding myself needing to ask a lot of questions when doing examples. Im sure it will all come to me eventually and the 4 modules start to make more sense as times goes on.

At the moment it just getting used to the terminology that is used etc and once I’ve that now Im sure it will be ok.

How is everyone else finding it? Some people flying it? Others lost or struggling?

Most classes are grand but taxation teacher is not great at explanations.I'm keeping up but with taxation I need to put in the work myself.

So how is everyone getting on with the course? Are you all studying Much?

those of you doing the online studying, how are you finding it?

I'm loving it....the Taxation and Financial accounting are my favorite classes...I don't know an awful lot but i'm enjoying learning i'm doing lots of examples myself when I can to get to grips with it. Law and BM are OK but there is just a lot of listening....very boring at times

Foxylocks wrote: »
    I'm loving it....the Taxation and Financial accounting are my favorite classes...I don't know an awful lot but i'm enjoying learning i'm doing lots of examples myself when I can to get to grips with it. Law and BM are OK but there is just a lot of listening....very boring at times

agree completely but just short of time to do examples etc, but not too bad... kinda leaving BM and LE behind when focusing on other two and not to keen on learning these as they are boring
    Anyone attending the face to face sessions in Nov?

• Advertisement

mendes_lol wrote: »
    agree completely but just short of time to do examples etc, but not too bad... kinda leaving BM and LE behind when focusing on other two and not to keen on learning these as they are boring
    Anyone attending the face to face sessions in Nov?

Not aware of them...are they through the ATI themselves? What dates in Nov?

A lot of reading in bm and le,loving the other two.We are on chapter 7 in bm so it is flying.Is the face to face for online only?

It could be for online only I think actually, 15th/16th Nov in their Academy I think 6hrs Sat & Sun...
    CH7 already on BM? :O we are still at the beginning....

It could be for online only I think actually, 15th/16th Nov in their Academy I think 6hrs Sat & Sun...
    CH7 already on BM? :O we are still at the beginning....
    He is flying it,not a lot gone in,im going to hit the books the weekemd :)

Does anyone know are we supposed to learn all the cases names in L&E? I find all this theory a bit overwhelming and stressing now a bit with upcoming assessments ...... and still find the tax teacher so bad that I am all over the place for now and I think I'll have to find a minute to do some examples on my own from the book..... I'd love to be off from work for like 2 weeks and go through it slowly.... hows everyone else doing?

My lecturer said they would "like" if you know the case names so you can refer to them when your doing your own answers in the exam. She also said if you can't remember the names then just mention what happened in the case and the examiner will know your talking about the example in the book, she said don't make up cases as examples ,

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭stevief01

Hi there,

Just a quick question is there any of ye on this that has started this course from scratch??( like NEVER done accounting before) I hope to be doing this course next year as im currently abroad. it seems like an interesting course that can lead into many different career paths!!

Cheers guys :)

wally1990 wrote: »
    My lecturer said they would "like" if you know the case names so you can refer to them when your doing your own answers in the exam. She also said if you can't remember the names then just mention what happened in the case and the examiner will know your talking about the example in the book, she said don't make up cases as examples ,
    oh noo wally1990 - not happy at all :( but thanks for the answer :) I thought this could be avoided, hope that names will do and no dates is fine as there is so much, it's mad! I don't want to be a lawyer but to do accounts but guess it's a part of the game...

stevie, I've seen someone posting before saying they did no accounting at all before and they had no problem, if you'll do it full time it would be easier but for part time if you are committed it should be fine also... but you can never tell for sure until you're in it...

oh noo wally1990 - not happy at all :( but thanks for the answer :) I thought this could be avoided, hope that names will do and no dates is fine as there is so much, it's mad! I don't want to be a lawyer but to do accounts but guess it's a part of the game...

stevie, I've seen someone posting before saying they did no accounting at all before and they had no problem, if you'll do it full time it would be easier but for part time if you are committed it should be fine also... but you can never tell for sure until you're in it...

Thank you mendes,, ill be doing it part time.. once ya get the head down it should be fine... Thanks again

stevief01 wrote: »
    Thank you mendes,, ill be doing it part time.. once ya get the head down it should be fine... Thanks again
    Yeah, go for it, once you'll sign up you'll have no choice (especially after you pay for it :))

• Advertisement

Hi Stevie,

I am doing the course without any prior knowledge of accounting/tax etc. I didn't do business studies in school so this is all BRAND NEW to me at the age of 24. I am studying part time while working a full time job but I find it interesting. Again, as the poster above stated there is ALOT of learning but it is manageable but don't just think you can go to class and leave it at that because you will struggle. If you choose to sign up be ready to put a couple hours of revision in over the week/between classes & You will be fine.

Our teacher gave us the pass rate for the course , and year on year since 2011 it has increased and the pass rate for Year -1 May exams last year was about 81%and the repeats in August about 65%.

So it is very achievable.

Hi Stevie,

I am doing the course without any prior knowledge of accounting/tax etc. I didn't do business studies in school so this is all BRAND NEW to me at the age of 24. I am studying part time while working a full time job but I find it interesting. Again, as the poster above stated there is ALOT of learning but it is manageable but don't just think you can go to class and leave it at that because you will struggle. If you choose to sign up be ready to put a couple hours of revision in over the week/between classes & You will be fine.

Our teacher gave us the pass rate for the course , and year on year since 2011 it has increased and the pass rate for Year -1 May exams last year was about 81%and the repeats in August about 65%.

Hi Wally,

Thanks very much for the advice. When I start this course ill be 24 aswell ha. When you applied for the course was it hard to get into? was there interview or anything like that? To prepare myself a bit for this course I'm taking small basic courses on a site called udemy.com its really helpful so hopefully it will have prepared me somewhat!!! what career line would you like to go down when ya finished this course? What are the teachers like??

Hi Stevie,

Hi Wally,

Thanks very much for the advice. When I start this course ill be 24 aswell ha. When you applied for the course was it hard to get into? was there interview or anything like that? To prepare myself a bit for this course I'm taking small basic courses on a site called udemy.com its really helpful so hopefully it will have prepared me somewhat!!! what career line would you like to go down when ya finish this course? What are the teachers like??

When you applied for the course was it hard to get into?
     Not at all. I went onto the college website(CIT) and applied through there. There was questions to answer such as relevant experience(if any), employer details(if employed) etc along with basic contact information. From speaker with the other students(aged between 19-mid 40’s)
    we all have different jobs eg: deli staff,banking,customer service,shop assistances,retail, credit union & so on. Vast experience in different areas all looking to do accounting.
    I received notification I was accepted and it went from there eg: Paying the college their acceptance fee/course fee/ and fees payable to account technician Ireland.
    was there interview or anything like that?

 There is no interview for the course(well, not in CIT anyway.)
    what career line would you like to go down when ya finish this course?
     I’m still undecided. Most people prior to the course will probably say they will head towards ACCA or CIMA, others might chose not to study beyond the account technician course itself.

 For me personally, I want to complete Year 1 and find out what parts of the course I am more suited for and go from there. ACCA would be very good but again that is the bigger picture, I will focus on Year 1 & 2 and then if I am satisfied I will progress to chartered accounting. But it does open a lot of options going forward eg: Payroll/Auditing/Accounting/Credit control & Management etc.

What are the teachers like??
     Everyone on boards will give you different answers to this. Again personally for me I find the Business Management teacher outstanding. He is charismatic,entertaining and great at explaining the details of the modules.
     The Law teacher tends to read word for the word her powerpoint slides(based on the book) so it’s pretty straight forward.She is good at explaining things when questioned.
     The accounting technician is ‘ok’. Personally he isn’t great at explaining things in detail. He seems to ‘Ramble’ about external matters sometimes rather than doing examples etc.
     The taxation teacher is quite good.

Overall the experience has been positive. Personally because the whole course is brand new to me I would have preferred the teachers to go through some of the terminology used in the course but again this is what google is for LOL. You will jump right into the course from night 1.

When you applied for the course was it hard to get into?
     Not at all. I went onto the college website(CIT) and applied through there. There was questions to answer such as relevant experience(if any), employer details(if employed) etc along with basic contact information. From speaker with the other students(aged between 19-mid 40’s)
    we all have different jobs eg: deli staff,banking,customer service,shop assistances,retail, credit union & so on. Vast experience in different areas all looking to do accounting.
    I received notification I was accepted and it went from there eg: Paying the college their acceptance fee/course fee/ and fees payable to account technician Ireland.
    was there interview or anything like that?

 There is no interview for the course(well, not in CIT anyway.)
    what career line would you like to go down when ya finish this course?
     I’m still undecided. Most people prior to the course will probably say they will head towards ACCA or CIMA, others might chose not to study beyond the account technician course itself.

 For me personally, I want to complete Year 1 and find out what parts of the course I am more suited for and go from there. ACCA would be very good but again that is the bigger picture, I will focus on Year 1 & 2 and then if I am satisfied I will progress to chartered accounting. But it does open a lot of options going forward eg: Payroll/Auditing/Accounting/Credit control & Management etc.

What are the teachers like??
     Everyone on boards will give you different answers to this. Again personally for me I find the Business Management teacher outstanding. He is charismatic,entertaining and great at explaining the details of the modules.
     The Law teacher tends to read word for the word her powerpoint slides(based on the book) so it’s pretty straight forward.She is good at explaining things when questioned.
     The accounting technician is ‘ok’. Personally he isn’t great at explaining things in detail. He seems to ‘Ramble’ about external matters sometimes rather than doing examples etc.
     The taxation teacher is quite good.

Overall the experience has been positive. Personally because the whole course is brand new to me I would have preferred the teachers to go through some of the terminology used in the course but again this is what google is for LOL. You will jump right into the course from night 1.

Jaysus thanks very much for the info Wally.. great help!! :) puts my mind easy a small bit thanks again!!

stevief01 wrote: »
    Jaysus thanks very much for the info Wally.. great help!! :) puts my mind easy a small bit thanks again!!

*ease

L&E lecturer told us that we need to know the case names and the year also....need to know a line or 2 about them to refer them in our exam answers. Was hoping that we didn't but sure what can ya do

Foxylocks wrote: »
    L&E lecturer told us that we need to know the case names and the year also....need to know a line or 2 about them to refer them in our exam answers. Was hoping that we didn't but sure what can ya do
    Our told us good to know just the main ones and not all and you can call it 'previous case' if you don't remember the name and just call the story back a bit... thank God

Our told us good to know just the main ones and not all and you can call it 'previous case' if you don't remember the name and just call the story back a bit... thank God
    Same for our class.

• Advertisement

Hi All
    Does anyone have a problem with logging into Touchpoint today, I can look on the IATI website but cannot log in to Moodle or anywhere???

I'm sorted now only Touchpoint not working, looged in to Moodle through the-mailed forum.

Anyone studying online going to F2F session?

Advertisement