Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting technician course 2014/15

Options
  • 06-08-2014 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Decided to open a thread for any person starting the accounting technician course this coming September. Will be handy to discuss the course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Foxylocks

Howdy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Charcoal express

Hiya :) I'm starting in September. Are you doing the two year diploma or one year certificate?

Are any of you studying in plunkets?

Great idea for a thread! :D

Hiya :) I'm starting in September. Are you doing the two year diploma or one year certificate?

Are any of you studying in plunkets?

Great idea for a thread! :D

Hi Charcoal express
    I'm studying in ITB, 2 year diploma...starting to worry about what I've let myself in for! I was useless as business studies haha

Foxylocks wrote: »
    Hi Charcoal express
    I'm studying in ITB, 2 year diploma...starting to worry about what I've let myself in for! I was useless as business studies haha

Ah I was looking at ITB myself, I'm living between swords and my boyfriends in dublin 7, so I chose plunkets cos it's half way between the two :) - oh and because they accepted me haha, blanch looks really good though :)

I know the feeling, I worked in accounts admin, doing the doggy work basically but I've been unemployed for a year now so I hope it's not too difficult :)

I can't wait to find out if the course has more mature students or young ones, I'm only 21 but I'd rather not be in a course with dossers :)

I work in accounts receivable, I've been doing that now almost 10 years but its mainly credit control so I need a challenge, I've brain drain in this place.
    I live in Trim but work in Maynooth so blanch is perfect for me, im still waiting for my acceptance letter although I was told on email that I'm eligible for a place so i'm just waiting now.
    Its good that we have a thread like this, we can help each other out god knows i'll be asking a lot haha, just hope I can hack it, numbers were never my strong point in school but working in A/R I under stand it a lot more but i'm only seeing a small part of accounting there is a whole other world of finance that i'm scared ****less off haha...trying to go to college part time, work full time and with 2 kiddies, its not gonna be easy

• Advertisement

I work in accounts receivable, I've been doing that now almost 10 years but its mainly credit control so I need a challenge, I've brain drain in this place.
    I live in Trim but work in Maynooth so blanch is perfect for me, im still waiting for my acceptance letter although I was told on email that I'm eligible for a place so i'm just waiting now.
    Its good that we have a thread like this, we can help each other out god knows i'll be asking a lot haha, just hope I can hack it, numbers were never my strong point in school but working in A/R I under stand it a lot more but i'm only seeing a small part of accounting there is a whole other world of finance that i'm scared ****less of haha...trying to go to college part time, work full time and with 2 kiddies, its not gonna be easy

Ah fair play to you going back with the kids, it might not be easy but I'm sure it will be worth it :)

I'm doing it full time myself, will find out at the end of August what my start date is.

Haha don't worry I'm sure we'll all have lots of questions but hopefully we'll be able to help each other :D

Ah fair play to you going back with the kids, it might not be easy but I'm sure it will be worth it :)

I'm doing it full time myself, will find out at the end of August what my start date is.

Haha don't worry I'm sure we'll all have lots of questions but hopefully we'll be able to help each other :D

Full time is all day mon-fri? for 2 years?

Yeah, the first year I'm off weds for work experience and the second year off thurs and fir for work experience.

Two years seems like a long time but with the weeks off here and there hopefully it will fly :)

Just on Viking.ie at the moment, stocking up. They have things like highlighters reduced :)

I'll just help myself to the stationary press here in work ha

• Advertisement

Haha sounds like a plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Hi all,

I decieded to take the accounting technician course after working in credit control and 'taking an interest in accounts recievable' I decided to study iati to get a good grounding and understanding of what i will be getting myself into. If all goes well and I enjoy it I will probably go ACCA or a similar path. This thread will be good for all to discuss the modules / exams / and any general questions we all need help on. :)

Hi all,

I decieded to take the accounting technician course after working in credit control and 'taking an interest in accounts recievable' I decided to study iati to get a good grounding and understanding of what i will be getting myself into. If all goes well and I enjoy it I will probably go ACCA or a similar path. This thread will be good for all to discuss the modules / exams / and any general questions we all need help on. :)
    I'll be studying in CIT part time in cork for the 2 Year dipolma.

wally1990 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'll be studying in CIT part time in cork for the 2 Year dipolma.

I've been doing credit control for years now, its so repetitive, its betting boring, I'm starting to look at accounts payable and taking an interested in that, all the bank recs and nominal postings, all that stuff. Hopefully a position for AP is coming up at the end of the year, so if I get it, it think it will be huge help on the course....plus my bosses are ACA and ACCA qualified and they've offered to help me out too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭kop-end

Hi All,

Firstly, thanks to wally1990 for setting this up and foxylocks for letting me know it was live :)

Anyway, I will be studying part-time this year by the new Online-Learning method !!!!!!, I know its a bit of a risk but with a new baby on the way in a few weeks (not me, the wife!!) it really is the best option for year 1 for me. Maybe in year 2 I will go to the normal bricks and mortar route.

My background is actually in Marketing and administration management and I kinda fell into an accounts role in my company by neccesity during the recent down-turn and staff reductions. I have developed an interest in this in the last 12 months so I have decided to take it further.....

This forum will be great for us all this year as I had a sneaky look at last years forum and the members had some great interaction and where a great help to each other.

kop-end wrote: »
    Hi All,

Firstly, thanks to wally1990 for setting this up and foxylocks for letting me know it was live :)

Anyway, I will be studying part-time this year by the new Online-Learning method !!!!!!, I know its a bit of a risk but with a new baby on the way in a few weeks (not me, the wife!!) it really is the best option for year 1 for me. Maybe in year 2 I will go to the normal bricks and mortar route.

My background is actually in Marketing and administration management and I kinda fell into an accounts role in my company by neccesity during the recent down-turn and staff reductions. I have developed an interest in this in the last 12 months so I have decided to take it further.....

This forum will be great for us all this year as I had a sneaky look at last years forum and the members had some great interaction and where a great help to each other.

I heard online learning can be great aswell, ( it's still about the amount of work you will put in at the end of day) I'm looking forward to the course & as stated this thread will be great to discuss different different topics.

I've done a lot of research before selecting the course but I'm confident in taking this course to ease myself into the area and then if all goes well i will probably take it further for ACCA etc.

Does anyone on here actually know any one who took this course and what were their thoughts?

wally1990 wrote: »
    I heard online learning can be great aswell, ( it's still about the amount of work you will put in at the end of day) I'm looking forward to the course & as stated this thread will be great to discuss different different topics.

I've done a lot of research before selecting the course but I'm confident in taking this course to ease myself into the area and then if all goes well i will probably take it further for ACCA etc.

Does anyone on here actually know any one who took this course and what were their thoughts?

I know 2 people who have completed the course, 1 guy completed the diploma maybe 10/15 years ago and risen up through the ranks of a small company to the role Financial Controller and swears by the ATI route, another person completed the diploma maybe 3 years ago and absolutley loved the course but also mentioned that part-time study is abig ask with a full-time job and suggested tha 3 years instead of 2 would have been better. they have since gone on to the ACCA path but is not enjoying the ACCA course.

I remember reading up on some threads from people who done the course last year, they were discussing the exam papers, supposed to be A LOT of theory based question and hardly any practical work......me thinks a lot of study will have to be done

It seems that alot of the moaning and groaning from last years students was about the theory based subjects i.e. Business management & Law & Ethics.

it seems they are very heavy on info and require alot of memory recall skills :eek::eek:

Sure if the course was really easy the qualification would be worthless :)
    It'll be worth the revising and stuff, my cousins misses did this course five years ago, now she has her accas & is working as an accountant. She loved the course :)

• Advertisement

I suppose you get out of it what you put in...just hope the tutors are good and there will be good support from ATI themselves

Yeah I hope the lecturers are good too :)

Yeah I hope the lecturers are good too :)

I hope my broadband connection is good :D

Hey guys,

So I got my start date! 6th September so I'll update you then. Picking up my timetable and all that jazz next week too, have many of you registered with ati yet? If so are you paying all in one go or over a few months?

Hey guys,

So I got my start date! 6th September so I'll update you then. Picking up my timetable and all that jazz next week too, have many of you registered with ati yet? If so are you paying all in one go or over a few months?

My start date is 23rd Sept...brutal...Was hoping to start sooner than that.
    I registered with ATI already but by job is paying part of my fees so they just sent a cheque off. The materials should be sent out 1st week in Sept as far as I know

Just hope the evening courses are ran ok...full time days classes are supposed to be really good whereas the evening late classes take a back foot in my opinion anyway....sure we'll see

Foxylocks wrote: »
    My start date is 23rd Sept...brutal...Was hoping to start sooner than that.
    I registered with ATI already but by job is paying part of my fees so they just sent a cheque off. The materials should be sent out 1st week in Sept as far as I know

Just hope the evening courses are ran ok...full time days classes are supposed to be really good whereas the evening late classes take a back foot in my opinion anyway....sure we'll see

I think it just depends on the lecturers I'm sure you'll be fine :):)
    On one hand I'm glad I start soon but on the other I'm still sorting back to education allowance so I'm praying that comes through in time!! Otherwise I'll be a broke bunny til it does.

I'm working and still broke....

I'm starting on September the 18th, I was going to pay with installments but I decided to hit bank for a loan and pay the college & iati off in full.

Looking forward to starting now,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 EamonS84

Hi all, delighted to have found this thread. I'm starting the course full-time in September and really nervous about it as I'm going back as a mature student and feel this is my last chance to get a decent qualification that will bring in the money for the rest of my days haha. Hope I can be of help during the year to ye but somehow I think it might be me needing it ;-)

• Advertisement

Ah dont be nervous, just work hard and we are all here on the thread for help:), there will be parts we will all find tough though.

Advertisement