Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting technician course 2014/15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

I'm doing my exams in Cork. Ya Business is a long subject and there is so much to it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭juncert

I read if you get 60 in say accounting and tax and 40 in law and business they will pass you for all 4,the extra 20 will cover the law and business shortfall.are you covering everything in business or just picking sections?

Are you sure you can carry marks from 1 paper to another?

I was under the impression that you must get 50% minimum in each or its a fail But I'm not 100%(F***ked for Law anyway)

I am trying to look over all of the business book and become familiar with something in each section.

Our teacher told us the format of the paper is

Question 1- Either: PESTLE/SWOT/PRODUCT LIFE CYCLE/PORTER 5 FOCUS

then for the remaining,
    2 topics from Marketing CHAPTERS 9-12
    1 topic from on IT CHAPTERS 13-14
    & 1 on Finance 15-16

Ok I rang them up it must have been an old page I was reading they changed the marking system a few years ago :( it's 50 now for everything,sorry for the wrong information.
    Have you done may business papers,writing out the answers,we only looked through last years in class.

Well,how did it go?

• Advertisement

Im not happy to be honest. Question 1 the statement of financial position and statement of profit or loss was going fine until I checked my watch and saw 1hr had passed!! I panicked at this point because I had 4 more Qs to get through I did questions 1-5 and didn't do 6(suspense account I think it was) . Felt I def made good few mistakes thinking back now.

I'm unsure really if I passed or not?, how did you fair out?

Hi Wally1990
    I was caught out on time as well, did 2 questions and it was 11.20 I had to do 3 in 65 min it was a race, hope I pass now. The nerves got to me as well. I'm trying to do business now. How is business study going for you?

It's tough going, I've been in a library since 9 , it's now 2 and my attention span is gone:) it's a lot to try and take in. I think I should be ok.

How about you?

Not good today, have done a lot up to this, trying to pull it together now :) You are doing great to hit it for so long today. Im going to work until 6 now. Going to cover marketing and planning and organising. Good luck

Grand paper,everyone seemed happy.

• Advertisement

Ya same here I was very happy with the paper overall , def got the 50% I felt.

A lot of people in my exam centre walked out after 10-30 mins and a few after 1.5

It was strange in total id say about 12 people left

Either not prepared or thought it was hard ...not too sure

People in my class thought it was a good paper

I'm in the rds and yes,there where a number of people leaving during the exams.I was a little pushed for time,did about 2-3 pages per question,so happy enough. Going to hit the books for the next few days.law is going to be the tricky one,hard to expand on if you don't know it.

how do you all think tax was?

Hard to know with tax,did 1-5 questions left out 6.hate the written questions so left question 2 until last and it was rushed and not great.think the rest where ok,fingers cross.how did it go for you?now to hit law tonight.

Did Question 1-5 too. not too sure but I think i should have got 50% anyway. EVERYONE i spoke with afterwards hated the paper. Not one person thought they did ok(which i thought was weird)

Yes, a good few did not like it,only few said they liked it.off tomorrow to study law,so it's gone to be a long day........

well,what did you think of Law?

did not really like it, should be ok for it but it could be tight, what did you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ruthieoc81

Hi All,

Thinking of starting this course in September 2015.... Where you all doing the Course? Thinking of the Accounting Technicians college in Pearse street... Anyone studying or studied there?

Thanks
    Loving the posts so far! Very helpful

Don't know about Pearse st ,my tip is to work from the start,keep up with the study,good luck.

• Advertisement

Got my results,

attempted all 4 exams Time around

Passed everything

2 merits , 2 passes

How about everyone else? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Foxylocks

I didn't do well I'm gutted. I passed BM and its the one class I found the most boring. so looks like i'm repeating law, Tax and FA next month. I worked so hard I nearly cried when I got the results
    I think nerves got the better of me to be honest. I studied every chance I got hours at a time. I'm thinking it was counter productive though

Any tips for repeating?
    So embarrassed feeling really low - Any words of encouragement?

for law read how they ask questions, its so easy to go off track and not put down what they want, know the last two chapters really well.
    fa is papers and timing, do every statement question from the papers, close the books and time yourself if you can do these it 20 marks, they come up every year. don't spend time trying to balance its layout that will get the marks.
    tax, its the same areas every year, do all add back questions, book closed, its 20%,same with wages question(paye,prsi,usc),computation, written and multiple choice.
    vat was different layout this year so do this question.
    good luck and onwards and upwards.

juncert wrote: »
    for law read how they ask questions, its so easy to go off track and not put down what they want, know the last two chapters really well.
    fa is papers and timing, do every statement question from the papers, close the books and time yourself if you can do these it 20 marks, they come up every year. don't spend time trying to balance its layout that will get the marks.
    tax, its the same areas every year, do all add back questions, book closed, its 20%,same with wages question(paye,prsi,usc),computation, written and multiple choice.
    vat was different layout this year so do this question.
    good luck and onwards and upwards.

Im dreading opening the books again, confidence is knocked big time

Open tax tonight and just go over add back tonight,it's a full question every year if you know it well it's 20 % you only need 30% from 4 other questions.you will need 1/3 of each other 4 question right.you can do that by knowing paye and computations.pick a time and sit down and start it,that will be the worst part.

Thanks for your help Juncert
    I can do this.....I know I can

How did u get on

Went much better this time around but we'll see
    Results out on the 21st

The 21st ? Seems a bit late doesn't year 2 start before that?

• Advertisement

And Best of luck!!

Advertisement