Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is it with the Irish and Father Ted?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I feel the same way about Mrs Brown's boys. I must have been out of the office when the memo was circulated about it being a funny programme. Father Ted is way ahead of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Anyway OP in 15 years we will all be quoting Mrs. Browns Boys

Mrs. Browns Boys "quotes" jokes that have been around for the past 50 years. Awful, awful show. Dont ever metion it in the same conversation as Fr. Ted, i beg you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

iDave wrote: »
    Well.......I'm putting you on my enemies list.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

blueser wrote: »
    I feel the same way about Mrs Brown's boys. I must have been out of the office when the memo was circulated about it being a funny programme. Father Ted is way ahead of it.

I never said Father Ted wasnt good i just think people overkill it big time in this country with the constant references to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AlexisM

:pac: Uhhh can see this was a bad idea.
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse! Reverse!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

As opposed to arguing on here, is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ted was awesome. For me it showed exactly why Rte are a bunch of usless twats. The old dusty farts in rte were too afraid to air Ted. Considered too controversial. it was way ahead of rtes time (the 1960's) , so it had to be pitched in the uk.

This myth is still going, RTE were never offered it.

I agree with the OP, the relentless quoting of it got tedious long ago.

*awaits even more quotes in response to this*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Bishops love sci-fi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

You got me sacked and now I have to yank meself off because I haven't got any proper sex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I love my briiiick.

Finally :p

Ah look its funny i can remember watching it many times and breaking me ****e laughing at it but the more people keep on about something and keep repeating the same parts of it gets really stale and annoying.

Look what happened with Anchorman for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Get your bollocks out of my face

It's embedded in our culture, and of all the bad things that we have embedded, it's one thing I'm so happy its there

It's sweet, charming, innocent and somehow manages to be subversive.
    It has that particular west of Ireland, I stayed in a pokey caravan identical to one in the show, in Sligo, situations and languid attitudes of priests and people that you find (John and Mary) are like a carbon copy of what you find in rural Ireland.

It's bleak and idyllic and it's one of the only fictional universe where I feel I could open the door of the set and be in West Clare. The enormous amount of backstories that we only get a snippet of off, it exists in our world, but it's somehow apart, when you're told about the magic road and water running backwards, you kind want to know if does? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

I hear you're a racist now OP.

I hear you're a racist now OP.

Thats old news :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

I've not seen any Father Ted in about a decade, maybe longer. Some day I'll be off in South America or somewhere, put an episode on and tears of longing will be rolling down my face.

Father Ted had a ton of aspects that happened to work out in its favour fierce well, anyways. It had a pretty good sitcom writing team in Linehan (who's a pretty damn good sitcom writer) and Matthews (who was really tuned into that old Irish nonsense to poke fun at, his book really reflects it too), the silliness of Ireland at that point was something of an untapped well of comedy, both of them early into their careers with the enthusiasm really showing, access to a whole range of actors who were really good that hadn't been used before (remember how good Richard Ayoade or Matt Berry seemed in that first thing you saw them in?) and have rarely gotten a chance to be utilised as well since...
    Season 3's patchy though. Got some Simpsons season 8 shark jumping vibes all over, they were right to end it there.

RTE pathetically clung onto it though, way too many gaps in the prime time schedule plugged with repeats of it. Try and aspire to something, dudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Mrs. Browns Boys "quotes" jokes that have been around for the past 50 years. Awful, awful show. Dont ever metion it in the same conversation as Fr. Ted, i beg you.
    Well said that man!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

"will ya have a cuppa tea?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Fr Ted quotes are not nearly as over done as Simpsons quotes. But what does it matter, twas all in good fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Fr Ted quotes are not nearly as over done as Simpsons quotes.
    Not when you break it down to the amount of times on average which each joke is referenced. Simpsons was just unbelievably stuffed with them, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

iDave wrote: »
    I want to kick to OP up the arse

Ah Go On!!!

Ah Go On!!!

Ah Go On!!!

Ah Go On!!!

Ah Go On!!!

Ah Go On!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

AlexisM wrote: »
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse! Reverse!

This is the first thing that ran through my mind the other fay when my kid started crawling, backwards!

Op, its not just a father ted thing. We also quote heavily from the book of Springfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Why do we cling to things so badly as if nothing else ever happened before or after it ?

Because these things are near and other things are far away...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Every episode is a gem that taps into some aspect of the ridiculous side of our culture. Tonnes of catch phrases, taking the piss out of religion.
    Couldnt go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Doesn't Mary have a lovely bottom

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

Priests who haven't got a clue what they are doing and corrupt... hmm I can't think why we find it so funny....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Let me first start by saying it was a great show and will always be one of the very best tv series to come out of Ireland.

Why is it though that it goes on and on and on and people act like it was the only thing ever shown on tv over here ?

Everywhere you go there are quotes and catchphrases i mean you cant go a day on this site or most Irish sites without someone quoting something from it.

Ive a pain in me hole with it at this stage theres nothing more annoying then something that becomes so over done and dragged out.

Why do we cling to things so badly as if nothing else ever happened before or after it ?

It's just always on RTE. Repeated endlessly. Always there, gladly ready for easy reference - just in case we forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Fucking Hell.

• Advertisement

I've had my fun, and that's all that matters...

Advertisement