Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is it with the Irish and Father Ted?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Because it's the only comedy that has ever come near to defining exactly what Irish humour is all about.

This. It's not try hard either, it rings true to so many of us.

I was once told by an English bloke that my Irish accent wasn't sexy because it was more Mrs. Doyle than Dervla Kirwan. :( We still ended up shifting (and riding) though. :pac:

Lapin wrote: »
    Word of advice to OP.

Never ever think about opening a thread complaining about The Simpsons.

Trust me. It'll back fire.

If it's to complain about post-1997 Simpsons he/she would be right on the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

The fact that over a dozen characters appeared only once and left us with gems to remember forever is testament to the quality of the writing, timed perfectly with some of the finest delivery. It still surprises me.

I remember reading that Linehan and Matthews said were anal about no improvisation (would not allow it at all) and locked themselves away for days imagine the smoke filled room with play the ****in first note), writing and rewriting ad nauseum to get the words just right, until they could laugh no more themselves.

the old woman outside the shop in the episode where the whistle is stolen...

"Isn't it a terror that crime would hit craggy island? What next father? They'll be drive-by shootin's and it'll be like Boyz in the Hood. And they'll be prositutes on street corners, and the pimps will be using crack to keep the hoors under control." it'l be proper gangsta so it will."

she shakes her head and gives him a bright cheery well see you later Ted!!!

The above is the exact tone that occurs in Rural Ireland when there is one crime and the fear causes the elderly to stop living their lives :P

The best bits however are the ones that aren't apparent, are in the background and are only noticed after watching several times.

Few examples to watch out for. The euro song episode. It shows a list of all the songs and artists. Some of the song titles are brilliant...one goes if i'm not mistaken "Ye dirty english bastards"

Also another brilliant episode. The golden cleric award one. Preparations are in full flight. Over the loud speaker in the back there's an announcement for one of the priests. "Father eric sweeney your parochial house has burnt down."

And for my favourite ever quote....
    Black priest kevin sharkey replies to the nun after she speaks highly of all the mission work out in africa---

"Sure what would I know, I'm from donegal", in the strongest northern accent

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This thread is groundhog day for retards.

If you ever say that again....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

It was only ever made because Channel 4 recognised the talent of Dermot Morgan and more so of the writers Linehan/Mathews.

The idea was passed up by RTE and other 'local' producers....

So it really is a tv show from another country....
    They show tv from other country's as well right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Room for another 2 in the St. Luke's youth group? Motion Passed! Sit down there!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

kyote00 wrote: »
    It was only ever made because Channel 4 recognised the talent of Dermot Morgan and more so of the writers Linehan/Mathews.

So it really is a tv show from another country....

An urban myth.Even Matthews and Linehan have gone on record to say this.It was never pitched to RTE.By the way can I say that overall I enjoy Father Ted generally but I never found Mrs Doyle funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

The funniest part for me thinking back, was the Cuban priest with the voice over...even "translating" "Heh heh heh". Then "Adios, Ted" *Drives off in sports car with cheesy euro techno blasting from his radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The first time was to many times.

Careful now.

:mad:

kyote00 wrote: »

When will this die? It was never offered to RTÉ. And thank fook for that - it would have been a neutered version if RTÉ had made it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Let me first start by saying it was a great show and will always be one of the very best tv series to come out of Ireland.

Why is it though that it goes on and on and on and people act like it was the only thing ever shown on tv over here ?

Everywhere you go there are quotes and catchphrases i mean you cant go a day on this site or most Irish sites without someone quoting something from it.

Ive a pain in me hole with it at this stage theres nothing more annoying then something that becomes so over done and dragged out.

Why do we cling to things so badly as if nothing else ever happened before or after it ?

Twas like the time the old heh heh, remember OP? the old heh heh heh

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Let me first start by saying it was a great show and will always be one of the very best tv series to come out of Ireland.

Why is it though that it goes on and on and on and people act like it was the only thing ever shown on tv over here ?

Everywhere you go there are quotes and catchphrases i mean you cant go a day on this site or most Irish sites without someone quoting something from it.

Ive a pain in me hole with it at this stage theres nothing more annoying then something that becomes so over done and dragged out.

Why do we cling to things so badly as if nothing else ever happened before or after it ?

I know what you're up to! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Twas like the time the old heh heh, remember OP? the old heh heh heh

Jesus - a show so good - they even addressed this thread a decade in advance. You've got to give kudos to that OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

The first time was to many times.

To many times what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

They lie in wait like wolves......the smell of blood in their nostrels.....waiting.....eternaaaaaannnnnnnlllllyyy waiting......and then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Irishcrx wrote: »
    They lie in wait like wolves......the smell of blood in their nostrels.....waiting.....eternaaaaaannnnnnnlllllyyy waiting......and then!

He's right, Ted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

The one where they go on holidays in the caravan and Ted decides to stick on the kettle to pass the time

"ha, bit of steam there" he says, like its a big event on the holidays. They were so bored!

Little details make it very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Look what happened with Anchorman for example.

Well if you were a man, I’d punch you. Punch you right in the mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Anyway OP in 15 years we will all be quoting Mrs. Browns Boys

Now that's sarcasm...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The whole thing about Father Ted in Ireland is simply this: We had our fun, and that's all that matters - we weren't asking for permission. So long, girls! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

How did that GOB****E get on the television??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

:pac: Uhhh can see this was a bad idea.

He was spot on in his observances of Irish life. Many of his utterances became
    even more relevant as certain events unfolded over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

If you write a thread like this again....I'll put your head through the wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Anyways I'm not a Fascist. I'm a priest
    Fascists dress in black and go around telling people what to do whereas priests............

More drink! Yaaaaaaaaaay!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Anyway OP in 15 years we will all be quoting Mrs. Browns Boys

That's nice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Jinonatron

When discussing Father Romeo Sensini in the over 75s football episode.

"17 caps with the Vatican over 75's, he looks after himself, drinks only very very fine wine, can climb 2 flights of stairs unassisted, needs only one nun to help him get out of a chair,....you haven't a chance"

Then it cuts to this ancient guy wearing a cool pair of sunglasses haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Jinonatron wrote: »
    When discussing Father Romeo Sensini in the over 75s football episode.

"17 caps with the Vatican over 75's, he looks after himself, drinks only very very fine wine, can climb 2 flights of stairs unassisted, needs only one nun to help him get out of a chair,....you haven't a chance"

Then it cuts to this ancient guy wearing a cool pair of sunglasses haha.

I always thought that guy was the image of Giacomo Agostini. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Jinonatron

jimgoose wrote: »
    I always thought that guy was the image of Giacomo Agostini. :pac:

You are right. I just googled both to compare haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's pretty much the only TV show to come out of Ireland that's worth talking about.

Not sure if this has been said already but it didn't come out of Ireland.
    It was written by two English lads & produced by Channel 4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

Not sure if this has been said already but it didn't come out of Ireland.
    It was written by two English lads & produced by Channel 4.

Nope...yer wrong.:D

AL: Can I stay up tonight to watch the scary film?
    TED: Ah, no no no. The last time you stayed up to watch a scary film, you ended up having to sleep in my bed. I wouldn't mind, but it wasn't even a scary film.
    DOUGAL: Come on, Ted. A Volkswagen with a mind of its own. Driving all over the place and going mad. If that isn't scary, I don't know what is.

Advertisement