Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is it with the Irish and Father Ted?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

It was a coming of age thing for Ireland, kicking a bishop up the arse instead of treating him like a lord etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

efb wrote: »
    Hipster with marketing slogan rip off as username?

Smiths song I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

those girls were in the nip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Disgraceful opening post any more like that and I'll shove this pitchfork up your hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Name one programme recognised internationally (or in the UK!) that was as successful OP.

Mrs. Brown's Boys I suppose. Can't think of any others myself. Fair City I'm sure would have been up there with the best of them.
    Disgraceful opening post any more like that and I'll shove this pitchfork up your hole.

Yeah, now fup off you grasshole!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

It wouldn't be so bad but for the fact it's usually done without a trace of irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,108 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Name one programme recognised internationally (or in the UK!) that was as successful OP.

Mrs. Brown's Boys I suppose. Can't think of any others myself. Fair City I'm sure would have been up there with the best of them.

Yeah, now fup off you grasshole!

Only one recently I can think of is moone boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Only one recently I can think of is moone boy.

While Moone Boy is good, it's not in the same league at all as Father T, in my mind.

Love Father Ted. Got the boxset for my 21st donkey years ago. Recently watched the one with the over 75s 5 a side football, and the fake hand! Haha, so so funny.

While Moone Boy is good, it's not in the same league at all as Father T, in my mind.

Love Father Ted. Got the boxset for my 21st donkey years ago. Recently watched the one with the over 75s 5 a side football, and the fake hand! Haha, so so funny.

Theres no doubt father ted is the stand out Irish comedy show but still doesn't change my original point as far as im concerned anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Smiths song I'd say.

Still Smiths is über hipster

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

John and Mary are priceless.

Mary "you've a face like a pair of tits"

John "at least that's one pair between us"

:D

efb wrote: »
    Still Smiths is über hipster

Only thing hipster about the smiths is the fact so many of the ***** unfortunatly listen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

It got old a long time ago. Things dont stay funny and clever if u keep repeating them over and over and over everywhere!.

Some things don't. Fr Ted does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

This time next year, rodders, we'll all be millionaires.

oh wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Only thing hipster about the smiths is the fact so many of the ***** unfortunatly listen to them.

Heaven knows you're miserable now.

Heaven knows you're miserable now.

Reading threw this thread who knows..... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Some the jokes are so tired at this stage, but it is getting on in years and RTE and E4 or whatever never stop showing it, which does not help. As an aside, the IT Crowd is garbage, only Chris Morris made it barely watchable, a comedy genius so he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Am I supposed to be scared, is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

It got old a long time ago. Things dont stay funny and clever if u keep repeating them over and over and over everywhere!.

Careful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

This thread is like that thing annoying kids do - "I know you are, but what am I? times 20 then "Takes one to know one!" :)

"Father ted is not so hot"
    "Careful now"
    "I think it's over rated"
    "Feck!"
    "I hate the way people keep quoting the show"
    "Down with this sort of thing!"
    "Feck off cup!"
    "****in hell!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Anyway OP in 15 years we will all be quoting Mrs. Browns Boys

Down with that sort of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

KungPao wrote: »
    This thread is like that thing annoying kids do - "I know you are, but what am I? times 20 then "Takes one to know one!" :)

"Father ted is not so hot"
    "Careful now"
    "I think it's over rated"
    "Feck!"
    "I hate the way people keep quoting the show"
    "Down with this sort of thing!"
    "Feck off cup!"
    "****in hell!"

Be very cautious at this particular moment in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I thought you were Marilyn Monroe

This thread is groundhog day for retards.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

I used to tell the wife that I hoped, nay, I BELIEVED that there was an episode of Father Ted out there in repeat tv land that somehow I hadn't seen, and some day, probably on a boring tuesday, it would just happen to be on, thus completing my life.

And then she bought me the boxset for Christmas.

It's still sealed four years later. I'll never lose hope for that one new episode!! BELIEVE!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

It's not only Irish that have a fascination with Father Ted.
    I stayed a night in a hostel in Kyoto a few years back and the old guy on reception said to me "Careful Now" when he saw my passport. Then he started laughing.
    He made out that he learnt his English from watching Father Ted. Very popular in Japan apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I re watched it last week and it is without doubt the funniest program Ireland has ever produced.

It is twenty years old next year and it has had such an impact that watching it now shows how that style of humour and the jokes and gags in the show are now a part of the Irish sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

How many times has the 'careful now' thing come up? Too lazy to read the whole thr

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    How many times has the 'careful now' thing come up? Too lazy to read the whole thr

The first time was to many times.

Advertisement