Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 178 - McGregor-Poirier**Tune in from 3:30 onwards to see McGregor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

How is he getting screwed over? He wasn't meant to fight for the title in the first place. Was doing a favor by stepping up and replacing AG.

Make him fight Johnson or something in the mean time

Yeah DC stepped up and deserves his shot now, it's not his fault Jones gets injured. Saying to DC "Yeah thanks for stepping up and being the only one ready to fight in all this but please feck off for a while" would have been the only joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Yeah i think DC should get it as he didnt pull out but i think he should for his own health and chances of winning the belt get the surgery and let gus fight jones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

Cormier is 35 but I think his although style lends itself to longevity hs body has taken a lot of abuse from his wrestling career and I doubt we're going to see the best Cormier when he does get around to fighting Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I've been following MMA for about 7 or 8 years religiously, and can't ever remember being so deflated about a fight being cancelled. Probably cos Conor was co main, on what was going to be undoubtedly the biggest PPV of the year.

I know the UFC's hands are tied and there's nothing they can do, but going from Jones/Cormier to Johnson/Carasio actually feels like they're rubbing salt in the wounds!

Awful shame, this fight was getting more coverage than any title fight I can remember in ages, even including the two Silva/Weidman fights

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

My biggest disappointment over a fight being cancelled was when Vitor pulled out the 1st Anderson fight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Some of the fights between coaches on TUF being pulled were annoying build up a match over the course of series (especially if I tuned in to it) and have it cancelled some dose out of these I guess Lesnar v Dos Santos at the time season was one of the worst and we didnt even get to witness the bout , although some initially cancelled and rescheduled felt momentum from show lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Some of the fights between coaches on TUF being pulled were annoying build up a match over the course of series (especially if I tuned in to it) and have it cancelled some dose out of these I guess Lesnar v Dos Santos at the time season was one of the worst and we didnt even get to witness the bout , although some initially cancelled and rescheduled felt momentum from show lost.

Eh??

• Registered Users Posts: 39,031 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Full stops man. They're free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

dulux99 wrote: »
    I've been following MMA for about 7 or 8 years religiously, and can't ever remember being so deflated about a fight being cancelled. Probably cos Conor was co main, on what was going to be undoubtedly the biggest PPV of the year.

I know the UFC's hands are tied and there's nothing they can do, but going from Jones/Cormier to Johnson/Carasio actually feels like they're rubbing salt in the wounds!

Awful shame, this fight was getting more coverage than any title fight I can remember in ages, even including the two Silva/Weidman fights

Hi Lads probably stupid question here, but what channel will this UFC 178 be on ppv?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

akelly02 wrote: »
    Hi Lads probably stupid question here, but what channel will this UFC 178 be on ppv?

BT Sports 1 mate!

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    BT Sports 1 mate!

cheers for that, happy days, bullin about jones pulling out tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

akelly02 wrote: »
    cheers for that, happy days, bullin about jones pulling out tho!

Yeah same as myself, the events gone down alot and the knock on effect has downgraded the 177 card even more to! January looks like itl be a great month though, Jones/DC , Lawler/Hendricks & Silva/Diaz! :D

ASOT wrote: »
    Yeah same as myself, the events gone down alot and the knock on effect has downgraded the 177 card even more to! January looks like itl be a great month though, Jones/DC , Lawler/Hendricks & Silva/Diaz! :D

Something to look forward to in the new year, be interesting to see if Silva is back to his best!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Donald Cerrone vs. Bobby Green booked as UFC 178 co-main event. confirmed

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/8/14/6004439/ufc-178-fight-card-donald-cerrone-vs-bobby-green

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

dave1982 wrote: »
    Donald Cerrone vs. Bobby Green booked as UFC 178 co-main event. confirmed

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/8/14/6004439/ufc-178-fight-card-donald-cerrone-vs-bobby-green

That's a great fight but i would much rather Green vs Masvidal and Cerrone fought someone else. Poor Conor getting bumped I thought it was almost set in stone he was the co-main.

Edit: Holy ****! Krause vs Masivdal added to 178. This is the best card ever hands down!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Would be so much better with an awesome Main Event.

I reckon Conor's fight will be the featured Pre-Lim on Fox Sports (or wherever they show it). Great opportunity for him in fairness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

MrStuffins wrote: »

I reckon Conor's fight will be the featured Pre-Lim on Fox Sports (or wherever they show it). Great opportunity for him in fairness!

Conors definitely on the main card,i would be absolutely gobsmacked if it was a Pre-lim.

MrStuffins wrote: »

Agreed. After Main Event and Co-Main, the Featured Prelim slot is starting to become one of the most prestigious.

Hope he gets it. Plus it would mean we can all get bed a lot earlier on this side of the Atlantic and watch the main card in the morning!! :-)

John_D80 wrote: »
    Agreed. After Main Event and Co-Main, the Featured Prelim slot is starting to become one of the most prestigious.

Hope he gets it. Plus it would mean we can all get bed a lot earlier on this side of the Atlantic and watch the main card in the morning!! :-)

You guys are crazy if you think he is gonna be on a pre-lim,absolutely no hope he will be a pre-lim fight no way.

You think one of the most anticipted fights on the card possibly even the most anticapited,and big seller of pay-per-views isn't going to be on the pay-per-view card?

amkin25 wrote: »
    You guys are crazy if you think he is gonna be on a pre-lim,absolutely no hope he will be a pre-lim fight no way.

You think one of the most anticipted fights on the card possibly even the most anticapited,and big seller of pay-per-views isn't going to be on the pay-per-view card?

It's not THAT crazy if you think about it. It will only be his second fight in the USA and what better way to increase his profile there than putting him in the homes of EVERY FS1 subscriber at prime time.

Fox are demanding quality Prelim cards from the UFC, and with a card that has the quality of 178 (even after the loss of jones/DC) the UFC can possibly afford to move what is probably the 2nd/3rd highest profile fight to the featured prelim slot.

Would not surprise me one bit if happens.

• Advertisement

John_D80 wrote: »
    It's not THAT crazy if you think about it. It will only be his second fight in the USA and what better way to increase his profile there than putting him in the homes of EVERY FS1 subscriber at prime time.

Fox are demanding quality Prelim cards from the UFC, and with a card that has the quality of 178 (even after the loss of jones/DC) the UFC can possibly afford to move what is probably the 2nd/3rd highest profile fight to the featured prelim slot.

Would not surprise me one bit if happens.

Honestly i can't see anyway this happens,that would mean the money invested in the Q&A and selling their fight,would be wasted if they give it away for free on Fox.

Conor is potentially going to be a big draw for the UFC,at the minute he still is a bigger draw than an awful lot of fighters already,he could lose and then his value drops like a stone,if they give it away free they would be throwing away pay-per-views in Ireland,when he could be at his peak of popularity here if he was to lose,i wouldn't say i would bet my life on it,but its a fairly sure bet i would have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Uriah Faber's last fight was the main prelim fight. He was smart to do it, in the sense a lot more people were able to see it because it was on fox sports 1 for free. I doubt Conor will be on the prelim, but if he was it wouldn't be awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Well there is no such thing as pay per view in ireland so prelims or not I wouldn't affect the market here.

Shame its not co main. Really its a shame no LHW title fight as the numbers would have been huge

Honestly i can't see anyway this happens,that would mean the money invested in the Q&A and selling their fight,would be wasted if they give it away for free on Fox.

Conor is potentially going to be a big draw for the UFC,at the minute he still is a bigger draw than an awful lot of fighters already,he could lose and then his value drops like a stone,if they give it away free they would be throwing away pay-per-views in Ireland,when he could be at his peak of popularity here if he was to lose,i wouldn't say i would bet my life on it,but its a fairly sure bet i would have thought.

There is no pay-per-view market in Ireland bud. The entire event (like ALL UFC events) is free to BT Sports subscribers. BT sports pay a licensing fee to the UFC. In the next few years we will be paying for individual events but for now our BT sports subscription gets us all our UFC events. So saying that they would lose PPV's in Ireland is not a valid argument. And besides that, even if there was a PPV market here, the revenue generated would be tiny by comparison to the total PPV return.

I totally get what you mean by saying this fight has been hyped and invested in heavily but as long as the fight goes ahead at all, none of this effort and investment is wasted.

McGregor is the type of fighter and personality that will always attract fans. Put him on as featured prelim this time round and he will bring in god knows how many new PPVs for his next outing. And if he wins against Pourier his next outing could well be a numbered event that HE will be headlining in a title eliminator.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,031 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Uriah Faber was the feature prelim not too long ago. He's a massive draw at 135. That's the point of having a big fight on the prelims, get people to tune in early and end the free fights with a bang. So people want to see more, ie the PPV

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I remember Uriah saying he gets no PPV bonus and it's worth more to him to get fans and popularity on the free fights than be on the PPV card. Conor said he's coming for that PPV bonus.

Mellor wrote: »
    Uriah Faber was the feature prelim not too long ago. He's a massive draw at 135. That's the point of having a big fight on the prelims, get people to tune in early and end the free fights with a bang. So people want to see more, ie the PPV

Would be very interesting to see the figures for the last minute PPV purchases for this event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

adamski8 wrote: »
    Well there is no such thing as pay per view in ireland so prelims or not I wouldn't affect the market here.

You do understand that Conor and the UFC, if they are competent in the least, would look at markets bigger than just the UK and Ireland when making decisions? Not having a PPV system here is not an argument against considering the US market and others that would be lot bigger and more financially beneficial.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I remember Uriah saying he gets no PPV bonus and it's worth more to him to get fans and popularity on the free fights than be on the PPV card. Conor said he's coming for that PPV bonus.

There are PPV bonuses in Conor's future for sure but not in his present :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

theducking.gif.gif

Advertisement