Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

April 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

He slept 10.30-4am! I must leave him with his dad more often while I go out...although it was probably being tired from all the crying he did :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

That is a great start! Fingers crossed it continues

Hopefully the regression doesn't last too long for you bp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Baby4 I'm just gonna jump in from the January thread to say I had a similar thing with my lad around the same age. It turned out that he needed a morning nap waaaaay sooner than I was even trying to put him down. He could really only stay awake about 1h at your age and even now an 1hr15 or 1hr30 max on his first wake in the morning. My guess is that 7am-10/11 is simply far too long for her to be awake at that age. I'd be trying to put her down by 830/9 at the latest to see how she goes. And maybe create a morning routine for her if you don't have one? In my case I started actually bringing him back upstairs to his cot and having a mini bedtime routine doing a nappy change, into sleep sack and down for sleep. If he misses this nap in the morning he is the devil incarnate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Yep I have exactly the same here - my little girl is 15 weeks and I could have written your post verbatim. As mirrorwall said I actually have to put her down much much sooner than I think. As soon as I see a yawn I pick her up, rock her as I bring her to her cot and put her down to sleep. She might chat for 10/15 minutes but she'll be asleep after that. It's trickier when I go out because I often don't see the first yawn or two and after that she's starting to get overtired. By night time she was like a bag of cats because the tiredness had built up on her so she's in bed before 8 every night now happily! Not always asleep but generally happy to be in bed

My boy is 18 weeks and can only stay awake 1.5hrs tops, usually after precisely an hour I spot the first yawn or whimper and start his nap time routine then. If I tried to keep him awake from 7am until 10/11 he'd be hysterical, usually at that time he's waking up from his 8.30 sleep.

He stayed awake 7hrs last weekend and had 4hr naps for the next 3 days to recover!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

I was thinking the exact same as mirror wall, she needs a nap earlier in the morning. my 5 month old only lasts about an hour to hour and half in the morning and has to go back for a nap.

maybe it's because your alternating her position at that time that you can't see her tired signals because she basically gets a new lease of life when you move her. It would be worth trying to get her down for the nap earlier!

Same...back in bed an hour later.

My little man is taunting me....one night of 7.30-3am then 2/3 nights of waking frequently :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

My 6.5 month old only lasts 2 hours in the morning! She goes longer later in the day but 2 hours tops in the morning!

• Advertisement

Baby finally back asleep (on me) but still asleep

My guy woke today at 7, was somehow wrecked and asleep again by 7.30, until 9. He then missed his 10am nap because he uncharacteristically pooed massively as he fell asleep and changing him woke him. We had vaccinations at 11 and the poor pet only fell asleep at 11.15 while waiting. Didn't go too bad, hopefully he won't react too badly later...

No more advice but I am deeply jealous of an 11 hour sleep :O I'd be a new woman. Doing well if he sleeps 3-4 hours at a time at night here, at 4 months. I'm GREEN with envy.

Baby4 wrote: »
    It's the only thing keeping me sane! I wish I could take credit for it, but it just happened, one morning we woke up to realise that neither of us had been woken by baby during the night! And she has slept every night since then..

GREEN!!! :D But in fairness he goes down day and night with little or no fuss and sleeps very well during they day.

How do you manage to get him down with no fuss?? Now I'M Green!!!!

First yawn, cranky whinge or eye rub and he gets swaddled or cuddled, shushed, kept calm by any means (swaying, singing, darken room, read a story) and if he's a bit overtired and physically starts to fight sleep cuddle him tight and stop the flailing and he drops right off. I would say the entire process takes about 5 mins, he only ever fusses for about a minute if even.

New level of regression....Awake at 1 am was bad...now is waking at 11pm :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

Haven't checked in a while hope all doing well. Spotty are you off all meds now? I am finally off them!!! Took a while but got there. Sleep regression hasn't hit here yet, dread it! Been getting decent stretches so bit spoilt with him these days. 3 month check up went well he is just over 15lbs. Next set of injection coming up ! Hate them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

It's the only thing keeping me sane! I wish I could take credit for it, but it just happened, one morning we woke up to realise that neither of us had been woken by baby during the night! And she has slept every night since then..

When not over tired he'll usually roll around a bit (in his sleep sack) and probably need at least one soother put back in. When overtired the only solution I have is the same as the previous, hug him tight to me keeping soother in mouth and his blankie in his hands. He'll flail/yell for 5-10 mins but after about 2 mins he's doing it with his eyes clothes and he essentially passes out.

Our first sign is an eye rub too. OH missed it this morning and could not get him down for an hour, poor thing was completely over tired (I had a hospital appt)

Traineeacc I'm off meds since he was 9 weeks old I think, he's 18 weeks now. That's brilliant delighted for you :)

3hr stretch so far tonight, wooooo <sarcasm>

Awake five times last night....wrecked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Okay so in response to all of your advice about my cranky little one, I tried giving baby more sleep this morning. Which seemed to work. However she still became very overtired and cranky this evening. In your experience, does it take a few days for improvements to kick in??

I feel like I'm in prison since this overtired phase started. If I go outside at all, I'm walking on eggshells as I feel she'll wake up at any noise. Today went like this: Awake at 7.30am after an 11 hr sleep. Bottle at 8am & back to sleep at around 9.30 after some brief play time. She didn't go down easy though... She had another bottle at 11.15am when she woke up. She then had a fitful sleep when we went out for a walk. She took another bottle at 2.30pm & didn't go back to sleep. She went hysterical then at around 3pm when I left her with my mother, and I had to return to her after a 20 min break.
    I rocked her & sang to her then until around 5, tried putting her in to her cot twice in a 1.5 hr period but she wouldn't settle!! She eventually settled at around 7.55pm, completely wrecked.

Sorry for all the desperate posts but this mothering thing isn't coming very naturally to me!

I'm missing when she slept between 11 and 8pm? If you don't know her tired signs. Do whatever it takes to get her to sleep after 1.5 hours awake. She wakes at 11am then next nap at 12.30. Be it buggy car rocking to sleep etc. It's better for her in the long run even though she's sleeping well at night it's not good for her to be so overtired constantly. If she's not tired after 1.5 hours stretch it but no longer than 2 hours. After that you are getting hyper overtiredness.

bp wrote: »
    Awake five times last night....wrecked

Think it was about the same here. Can barely open my eyes, third night in a row of it. And we had just gotten a lovely 9-1.30 stretch going.

Think it was about the same here. Can barely open my eyes, third night in a row of it. And we had just gotten a lovely 9-1.30 stretch going.

How do you cope??? Honestly I could barely talk to toddler this morning - who accidentally spilt her milk three times :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

Hi all, we got our first tooth on the weekend, he's four months today. We've also gone back to waking every two hours at night and I'm exhausted. I'm breastfeeding with a couple of top up bottles during the day. We were getting a stretch of 1030-2 or 3 but no sign of that in about two weeks. Ended up going to the park for three hours on Monday trying to keep him asleep and managed to grab a sandwich from the cafe in the park and eat it....while crying! Had the sunglasses on so I don't think anyone noticed. Think the lack of sleep just hit me and he wouldn't feed from me at all. It was the first time that I thought about giving up breastfeeding or him giving up on me and it made me incredibly sad.

He had all the signs of tiredness this morning. We've named it his hangry stage, he laughs and cries he laughs he cries......Couldn't get him down for a nap at all upstairs so managed to get him to sleep in the bouncer in the kitchen. Would love a nap but I'm afraid to move him. He hasn't been a difficult baby but this last week has knocked me out. Sorry just needed to vent.

Hi all, we got our first tooth on the weekend, he's four months today. We've also gone back to waking every two hours at night and I'm exhausted. I'm breastfeeding with a couple of top up bottles during the day. We were getting a stretch of 1030-2 or 3 but no sign of that in about two weeks. Ended up going to the park for three hours on Monday trying to keep him asleep and managed to grab a sandwich from the cafe in the park and eat it....while crying! Had the sunglasses on so I don't think anyone noticed. Think the lack of sleep just hit me and he wouldn't feed from me at all. It was the first time that I thought about giving up breastfeeding or him giving up on me and it made me incredibly sad.

He had all the signs of tiredness this morning. We've named it his hangry stage, he laughs and cries he laughs he cries......Couldn't get him down for a nap at all upstairs so managed to get him to sleep in the bouncer in the kitchen. Would love a nap but I'm afraid to move him. He hasn't been a difficult baby but this last week has knocked me out. Sorry just needed to vent.

Are you ok? First spot of tooth appeared at 3 months here but hasn't moved since.

You are doing a great job, do what feels right for you. We all have bad days - believe me

• Advertisement

bp wrote: »
    How do you cope??? Honestly I could barely talk to toddler this morning - who accidentally spilt her milk three times :-(

It's not too bad because at least I'm off work this week!

Advertisement