Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

April 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Just put herself down there, our routine is; nappy change, into a clean vest & babygro, into a grobag, light off (room pitch black except for the light from a gro egg), bottle, winding then down in her cot awake but sleepy. Some nights she'll want her soother others she's fine without.

Our son was a different story, he'd to be rocked or fed to sleep, we'd have to wait until he was in a deep sleep before putting him down, then we'd have to try slide our hand out from under him after putting him in his cot then tiptoe out of the room hoping he didn't wake.
    Thankfully it's so much easier this time round :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Our problem seems to be she's grand to be put down the first time but after a sleep cycle of 40 mins she's awake and won't settle back down. Need to figure out how to include reading her a book in our routine too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Our problem seems to be she's grand to be put down the first time but after a sleep cycle of 40 mins she's awake and won't settle back down. Need to figure out how to include reading her a book in our routine too!

How do you mean figure out how to include it? Just start doing it with whatever else you do, at this stage they don't even know what a book is so it's just about getting them to sit still while you read out loud to yourself :D We don't have a set routine here, but maybe that's because he's so easy to put into bed that we never started a rigid one. We just change him into his pj's sometime between 7-8 unless we're out, then he usually falls asleep at around 9-10. The last few days now have had a dreamfeed at 11 rather than full waking, then he wakes every 2 hours from 1-2am onwards.

We have been cosleeping the last few days and it's great in fairness, but only possible because I'm away from home and have a giant bed for just me and him. He doesn't wake up half as much for feeds as when I had to lift him out of cot and it was taking longer for me to wake up and hear that he was awake and hungry. Will miss this giant bed at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Wahoo my little lad fell asleep by himself!!! Our 'routine' is bed about 7.30 ish (not our doing its when cranky time starts), awake around 2am for a feed then again at sixish. Spends the first half of the day sleeping then awake until bed time

I dunno what I'd do with myself if this guy went to sleep at 7.30 and only woke once or twice! Evening free and actual sleep, sounds like a holiday! :D Or in two weeks it would sound like perfect time to work booooo

• Advertisement

Hopefully he starts sleeping soon for you

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

How is your bp spotty?

We never incoperated a story into our routine until around 8 or 9 months with our son, he just was never interested. Herself is far too eager to go to bed by the time bedtime rolls around so would throw a fit if we kept her awake to read to her. I'd say she'll become more interested as she gets older & she sees her brother getting one but for now we're just following her lead.

traineeacc wrote: »
    How is your bp spotty?

Oh it's fine, it's my liver/thyroid/weight/cholesterol that's the problem if you ask the idiot consultant who hasn't even bothered to get back to me to confirm or retract any of those diagnoses after new bloods were done. I was talking to a woman today who had pre e same time as me, delivered same week as me, was kept in with high bp same as me. Her bp was much higher than mine but she was induced, I was told I couldn't be. She was let go home with bp higher than mine, I had to beg to get out with conditions and come back for more appointments. This lady was much heavier than me, and here's me being told to lose weight, to a bracket that would bring my BMI to 21 (I know BMI is not loved by all but just as a measure to show that I am not overweight). Gah! So feck that, I'm over it, consultant is an as$.

How's yours?

bp (the person not the annoyance :P) I'm used to it now it's ok :) I've made my peace with his sleeping pattern.

Grr combination fed baby refusing bottles :-(

• Advertisement

Our guy refused an expressed bottle a few days ago while my mum was minding him, good thing we got home early, he was screaming with the hunger :'(

I was away for a fortnight, came home today to the kitchen painted, cot bed assembled, crap cleared out of spare bedroom, house spotless, and dinner made. He's a keeper! Glad to be home and have help again at night. Cosleeping did wonders for my sleep but properly waking to change nappies had me lying awake around 4am unable to get back to sleep until after next feed!

Well we had an eventful night.

Husband got called to work at 11 pm, I went to bed. Usually he'd be home after an hour or two. I woke up at 2.45 and he wasn't in bed, I assumed he had gone to the spare room so as not to wake us. I sat up to feed baby, had an itchy nose so rubbed it quickly....cue my first ever nose bleed, so much blood! It was on my pj's, on baby's, dripped in 3 rooms as I frantically checked the spare room for my husband and tried to switch the soaked toilet paper every few seconds. There was so much blood, and my father in law recently had one that wouldn't stop and it turned out his bp was sky high and in danger of a stroke, so I was really freaked out given my recent pre e/bp stuff. So I pulled out the bp monitor and it was high, but not massively, 150/95, fair enough given the panic and running around crazily. Up until then I was petrified I was about to have a stroke or just keep bleeding and collapse (or worse) with baby all alone :( Got such a fright. I called my mum because I couldnt get hold of my husband who was still at work.

Anyways, my bp came straight down to normal the second time so I knew it was just a nose bleed, but still bloody (pardon the pun) scary. It slowed a lot then, husband came home and got a fright when he saw blood in the hall and heard baby crying (just nappy change!), and told me I burst a blood vessel vigorously rubbing my nose, wish he'd been here when it happened! So I obviously couldn't sleep then for hours, ugh, and he's wrecked from being at work til 3, so a tired house today!

Can't believe it was a year ago that I got my bfp, time has flown by, this little lady is growing up too fast!!

Why do I bother trying to sleep :-( first husband wakes me at three and been awake since with a sore back. Pain killers just kicked in when toddler woke (now in my bed) and baby due a feed any minute...sigh

Bp I know you won't begrudge me this, I'm awake for just the second time tonight, yay! He slept from 10.30-2.30 and 2.45-5, he's back asleep again now. I slept for 4 hours, that's the longest by a whole hour since March. He wasn't even remotely tired until 10pm, I was worried he was up late and we'd have an awful night.

If we've cracked the best cosleep set up and bedtime combo I won't know myself :)

How/why did your husband wake you??

That is brilliant spotty :-) I was in the spare room and came in after middle of the night feed but had to turn all the lights on first and then lovingly give me a hug.... F-off with your love!!

2 year old cuddled into me until 6.30, then told to wake daddy! Baby slept until 7am....not the usual 5am! Granted my boob is about to explode but I will take it!

Our boy woke up again at 6.30 and that was it he was up for the day, I made his Dad get up with him but unluckily for me as soon as he was away from me he realised he might be a bit peckish so I got up to feed him and got my days work started early altogether. By 9am I had work things taken care of, a wash on, clean clothes put away, so I walked husband to work, opened baby's bank account, picked up a christening candle and other bits for his christening, bought some food and stuff to make lactation cookies, all before 11am :) As hubby said with a bit of sleep we're a different family altogether :pac:

Had 3 month check up last week. He's doing great, nearly 17lbs, in top 25 for height/weight/head size, and has great neck strength. Got praised for breastfeeding which was nice :) And she said he's gorgeous...as if I needed to be told!!

Wow Spotty I thought our girl was big at 14lbs, sounds like all that feeding is paying off. We've our 3 month check up next week, PHN is going to do my 3 yr olds developmental check up at the same appointment so I can get them both over with at the one time.
    Can relate to hubbies waking you up, mine has been doing alot of overtime recently as we are trying to renovate our new house so it's fairly costly. He's so exhausted when he goes to bed that he's snoring like a bear, I don't have the heart to wake him as he's so tired so I'm just grinning & bearing it at the moment. There's me thinking a new baby would the one keeping me awake :P

Ah that's brilliant spotty - sleep absolutely makes everything easier!

Currently listening to our little lady screaming with tiredness but she's fighting it. Every night recently putting her down is a nightmare because she doesn't nap properly during the day so is completely overtired by bedtime :(

We had 12 week check too, all grand. 13lb but very long, I'd be happier if she ate a bit more to be honest but she just won't!

Tbf he was nearly 16 weeks at 3 month check :) He's quite long too angeldelight, toes poking out of the ends of 3-6 babygros since he just turned 3 months.

I mastered swooping on this guy before he gets overtired, ugh it was a good day when I learned to spot the signs. For a few days before that I thought he was in some sort of awful pain with the screaming.

• Advertisement

Do your babies nap long during the day? I think that's our problem, she naps for one sleep cycle of 40-45 minutes so is still tired when she wakes so by bedtime she's exhausted!

He naps loads but not for very long each time imo. For example today he woke at 6.30, napped 8-9, 10.30-11, 12.30-1.15, 3-3.45, 5.30-7, bed at 9.30. Constant cycle of awake 1-1.5hrs then asleep 30-60mins! The odd time he would have a two hour nap. This is new, until I copped early tired cues it was half that with much more overtired screaming and fitful napping.

Mine takes three naps. An hour or two each. Like spotty I am finally learning the signs

I would love if she would sleep for an hour or two, she really needs it but she doesn't seem to be able to transition from light sleep at end of first sleep cycle into deep sleep again. It's odd as she can do it at night time no problem, we haven't had any night waking in so long

Had our 3 month check up today, all was well, babs is weighing in at 14lbs 9oz & is in the 50th percentile for her age so PHN nurse was really happy with her. The only thing she did comment on was her head strength when lying on her tummy could be better & if I'm honest I don't do near enough tummy time as I should so I'll have to improve that.
    Of course herself decided to have an explosive nappy just as I was about to strip her off to be weighed & seen as I figured I would just be in & out of the clinic I never brought the baby bag :o
    Vest was destroyed, it was in her bellybutton & everything :eek: Luckily the PHN had a spare nappy & some cotton wool, had I of been at home I would have just dunked her in the bath, talk about the worst timing!!!

Stupid 16 week sleep regression

bp wrote: »
    Stupid 16 week sleep regression

Oh no, big change?

Would not nap today and waking every three hours :-( we got a 8 hour stretch one night and I was delighted

Hopefully it passes soon

Ah see when they always sleep badly regression is grand 😀

Doing great here, back to work is going fine, he's slotted right in to my schedule and I can work around him pretty easily, Delighted!

• Advertisement

That is amazing spotty delighted for you :-)

Advertisement