Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapskategate aka How Not To Host Your Wedding

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

ardle1 wrote: »
    Jaysus some couples fcuk of somewhere and get married and wouldn't give two sh!ts if nobody(including family) knew about it.

Totally different scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

ardle1 wrote: »
    Hey op, why did you feel the need to let us all know about the misfortunes of others!?
    Are you laughing at their misery by any chance... Anyway like another poster said, I also don't see what the big interest is.... Jaysus some couples fcuk of somewhere and get married and wouldn't give two sh!ts if nobody(including family) knew about it.

It's not about the misfortune of others, it's about somebody who decided to go the Marie Antoinette route with funding their wedding ceremony. Yes by all means invite people to join you if that's what you want to do but you don't expect people to pay for everything when you've invited them.

Also there's a world of difference between this and two people eloping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Only catching up now
    Wow
    Can't believe it went down like it did in the end
    When I got married I did so 3months after returning to work from a 6month matnerity leave - only had the state maternity benefit while on leave and wedding was planned and executed within 6 months so we had little time to save. Yet we managed to have our traditional Irish wedding - complete with the fifty odd first cousins on his side <rolls eyes> !! All in all it cost us around €18k, our parents didn't contribute towards it and with a lot of bloody saving in the run up to it, what little we were short was borrowed from the cu and repaid within 2 weeks of the wedding.

So if the b&g wanted their traditional Irish wedding they could have had it, with bells and whistles if only they were prepared to put their money where their mouth was. Their behaviour beggars belief

And all the want of cutting their cloth to measure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I don't understand. I thought it was understood that if you didn't attend the ceremony you shouldn't expect to get fed.

The only thing that seems a bit off to be honest I'd getting the wedding party to pay for their meal, and abandoning the wedding party after the photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭sara1

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Is there anyone out there on Boards who was at this wedding or at least know of anyone at the wedding, cmon this is ireland afterall! Would love to hear from a guest point of view!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Misfortune is something bad that happens that you have little/no control over. It's in the name, fortune. No bad luck fell on that bride and groom, it was entirely their own creation.

So.. your basically saying that the B&G don't have issues or problems!
    Look, the op is laughing at their misery, like it or not that's what she's doing. You need to open your eyes, the op was weak enough to go along with everything(because she's weak)... And now she wants to justify her weakness by looking for sniggers and justification from 'like minded people' on Boards....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Coming in late as usual (I followed the first thread from early on) I'd love to say thanks to Toots* for the level head and the hard fist when needed.......and it was used properly (apart from the closes that caused some near heart attacks :P ) Think by now Boards should be looking for you as an Admin or at the least a CMod :D:D

To WDIC, the most important thing I can say is thanks! You gave thousands of Boards readers and lurkers a great ride (you know what I mean lol) for a few days. I was gutted when the Bridesmaidgate thread was closed but you kept your promise to keep us updated......even if it did mean a few panic attacks.

Through the whole thing you kept your head and your dignity - from the hair-clip to the the disaster in the park, no proper food and having to pay for your dinner and drinks. Think a lot of people would have dropped the BM job a lot earlier.....so big thumbs up.

If Boards could somehow allow us to send drinks, you'd be getting a large one from me.

All the best WDIC - you are better off without a friend like her cos you have thousands more here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

sara1 wrote: »

I got "reined" in for daring to voice such doubts.
    But then I'm an old sceptic.

some dictionaries do not contain the word "gullible"

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭OrangeVarnish

Only just read this now, I almost died when I logged in and saw the last thread deleted!!! I was ready to cry until I saw a new one!
    WDIC you are some woman, this was nothing like I imagined possible....and we imaged tons!

Are they going on honeymoon?!

• Advertisement

I had something awfully similar happen to me (I wasn't bridesmaid but I was with the "best man") so I know it can actually happen.

Takes all sorts!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Mikeymouse you already got a warning for your previous post. Banned for three days.

It's got nothing do do with whether or not you believe the OP, there were two simple rules given at the start of the thread which you seem to be unable to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

It's sort of sad that the couple decided to run their party like this. It's been mentioned before that no one minds going to a budget event, but the guests need to know in advance. It's not the meanness that's the biggest issue, it's the deception.

Also, one detail that many have overlooked is what happened to the other bridesmaid the night before the wedding. They were supposed to be staying with the bride, but they were turfed out on to the street with nowhere to stay that night when the arguments errupted. We don't know what happened to her after the wedding too. That's really shabby. I'm amazed they turned up at all for the wedding after being treated like that, so I suppose you'd have to award them a medal for persevering.

Is the original bridesmaidgate thread going to reappear again? I saw it back up yesterday for a while, and now it's gone again. It's an interesting read to see how many people were holding out against hope that there would be "suprise" food, or that there was some kind of misunderstanding. It's nice to think that people try to see the best in people and cynicism hasn't completely taken over.

The more I think about it the more I wonder how much of an inkling did people have, if WDIC made so many invites, wondering if there would be 250-300 people there, did the bride just not send them, or did people rsvp no?
    Also - the fact her father wasn't there is baffling?! And the rest of her family.....how long has she been going out with her now husband?! Maybe it was a shotgun wedding and they don't like him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

The more I think about it the more I wonder how much of an inkling did people have, if WDIC made so many invites, wondering if there would be 250-300 people there, did the bride just not send them, or did people rsvp no?
    Also - the fact her father wasn't there is baffling?! And the rest of her family.....how long has she been going out with her now husband?! Maybe it was a shotgun wedding and they don't like him?
    WDIC did not make the invites. She gave the paper/card stock to the bride who printed the invites herself. So although WDIC gave the bride about 200, she really doesn't know if she printed all of them. Possibly she messed up a few or considering her meaness, maybe she held onto some blanks - but that's just speculation. WDIC did not know how many people were invited and what the breakdown was between the 3PM and the 6PM events.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Brianthedog

Hi could someone direct me to the first part of the story - the build-up to the wedding ?

the story was fantastic - this woman should write a column!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

^^

The original thread has been deleted.

leck wrote: »
    WDIC did not make the invites. She gave the paper/card stock to the bride who printed the invites herself. So although WDIC gave the bride about 200, she really doesn't know if she printed all of them. Possibly she messed up a few or considering her meaness, maybe she held onto some blanks - but that's just speculation. WDIC did not know how many people were invited and what the breakdown was between the 3PM and the 6PM events.

Thanks Leck, I'm not doubting WDIC at all :) I'm more wondering if she was told that amount did others have an inkling about the disaster that was going to happen and then just decide to not turn up! I thought that WDIC made the invites didn't pick that up right in the orginal thread at all so! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Kertrada

Either the WDIC or Orange Varnish is lieing. What a joke this thread is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Kertrada wrote: »
    Either the WDIC or Orange Varnish is lieing. What a joke this thread is
    WDIC is not lying. She made a post in another thread and it grew from there. She would have to have some amazing psychic abilities to know that her one post would grow into two threads in their own right :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    WDIC is not lying. She made a post in another thread and it grew from there. She would have to have some amazing psychic abilities to know that her one post would grow into two threads in their own right :rolleyes:

They can't both be telling the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Why not? I'll be the first to admit I thought the original story was made up but if a second person knows someone who was there that puts me in my box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Just catching up properly now. Thanks so much dor uprating Wdic And for posting it Toots*.

The day turned out more or less how you expected. It did cross my mind when reading about you being abandoned at the photo location whether the bride caught wind of this thread and if it was a bit of payback lol.

Im sure you're glad its all over!

eviltwin wrote: »
    Why not?

The view of the B&G conflict

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The view of the B&G conflict

That could be just perspective, anyway I do think the story has run its course, its become irrelevant now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Dunno, they got the dosh, they got the wedding, and they got drunk, they danced, they partied, and then headed off on honeymoon. Sounds like they done quite nicely, while permanently flushing out, exposing, and getting rid of any pretend friends and family. I'd love to hear their side of the story, but seemingly, any questioning of the posters claims is not allowed.

They as in the bridal couple flushed out any pretend friends and family?! More like they showed the world at large how they are poor "friends" and are thoroughly unpleasant family members to have too!
    As has been said many times if they wanted a small wedding they could have had just that at a tiny cost but they implied they were having a regular run of the mill event but were rude, thoughtless, selfish, grabbing, greedy and grasping.
    They have shown the people who were their friends that they truly weren't and embarrassed and hurt their own family.
    They effectively lied and cheated and that is truly dispicible.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Seriously, are some people completely incapable of following a simple instruction? Is it the bold text? The colour red? This is the very last warning I'll be giving on the thread. There's already been several yellow cards and a ban issued, next time someone accuses the OP of lying I'm locking the thread.

Also had to delete a few posts there, so I'll just ask posters not to post any information that may lead to identification of the B&G.

Thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Of course they can. The other poster said they knew someone who turned up around 10/11 and enjoyed the last few hours of the night. There is a huge difference between someone who only spent a couple of hours in the b&g's company and someone who had been putting up with them all day and in the weeks leading up to the wedding. The other poster's friends weren't lying, they simply weren't privy to the bigger picture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

Toots Thanks again for being such a super Mod. Going to the afters of a wedding is very different to a day invitation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement