Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapskategate aka How Not To Host Your Wedding

Options
  • 03-08-2014 6:32pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, so after much anticipation, controversy, wasted popcorn, crushing disappointment, budding riots, angry pregnant women and HUNDREDS of PMs, here is what you've all been waiting for. The conclusion of the wedding of the year thread (photos in next week's Hello)

First and foremost, a few ground rules:

No arguing - same as in the previous thread. If the thread starts descending into bickering again, it will be locked, end of.

No attacking the OP - if you don't like the story, don't agree with her posting it, don't believe it, whatever, then just don't bother replying to it.

There will be a zero tolerance on these so if everyone behaves themselves then the thread will be left open and nobody will be infracted/banned.

And now without further ado, The Wedding:
    The wedding was a complete disaster - are we surprised?

The night before I stayed over with bride with the other BM and her folks came up around 6pm and created war about there being noone invited to the ceremony and no food for the masses. She has four brothers and two sisters and they're also upset that none of them was asked to stand with her or the groom, so they all decided they weren't going. I didn't know anything about that, I thought they'd agreed not to stand but no, none were asked.
    I don't think they knew about paying for the dinner, it wasn't brought up anyway.

We eventually got them to calm down, the groom was staying with his brother and I don't think he knew this was happening but the Bride was very upset. She sent me and the BM away, so I don't know what was said after that, we just went down the local pub and sat there like fools until about 11:30. I called my hubby to come get us then and she stayed with me that night. I'm a good hour drive away from the Brides house but BM is from Carlow, I think, so she was staying with the bride for the last few days.

We didn't hear anything that night but I had to call her at 7:30am as we had hair appointments at 9am. She told us to come to the appointment and when we got there, it was like nothing had happened and she wouldn't talk about it. So, we got ready and all was like a normal wedding - photos and champagne and getting ready and all that. She was in good spirits, so we went with it and said no more.

She managed to catch me and the bm for the price of a bottle of sparkling wine and fags - but I was so happy things were okay, I didn't mind and said nothing.

Best man arrived around 12:30pm with the flowers, lovely green daisy looking yolks with white roses and yellow tiny wild flowers and Brides were all white with pink flowers. Our Dresses were a shimmery green colour and her scheme was yellow and green. We tried to ask him what he knew of the situation but he was as clueless as us and his main concern was sobering up the groom - who had had a bit of a session the night before with the groomsmen and his cousins.

Car arrived for her at around the 1:15pm mark - Grooms workmate owned the car, lovely job. Very pretty silver car. All good. Off we went, I thought the dad would be have been here to go in the car but maybe that wasn't the plan, so I thought nothing of it, it was all very exciting, we had a good laugh in the car trying to keep Bride calm and we were topping up her glass with the champers the whole way. TBH me and the Bm were ****ting it as we had no clue what was happening.

I texted my OH who said that groom was grand, looked great not many arrived yet and no sign of siblings or more importantly, her dad. I said nothing to bride but showed text to other bm.

Got to the venue anyway - the registrar came out to us, lovely guy, to tell us what we were doing and where to walk and all that. We had no rehearsal but that's the usual story with civil ceremonies. All smiles and nerves from the bride, nothing unusual anyway. No Dad anywhere. Registrar ends up being the one to ask. Bride says he's not coming. What?? ****.

So, on we go, me first and then other Bm, then Bride. Hardly noone in the room, maybe eight guests including mine and the other BMs other halfs.

Ceremony went grand, 30 minute job and all smiles and everything was lovely. Photos and posing. I don't think any of brides family was there and I'm not too sure was anyone but the grooms brother there but I don't know his family, so I'm just guessing.

We did all the photos and craic for about 20 mins in the local park, about a 15 min drive from the ceremony and then the bride and groom fecked off in the wedding car! we thought they were gone for some photos somewhere else and were coming back. Half an hour later we copped they werent coming back! We (groomsmen and Bm) were left at the park with no way to the venue - I'm not even joking! I didn't even have a phone to call my OH! It was in the flippin car!! A passer by let us use his phone and my OH came and got us, he had already been at the venue and B&G were there downing drinks, he copped we were stranded and was already on his way when we called.

So, we were late for the dinner. B&G didn't seem to care. They were well on it at this stage and I was wondering why I didn't just get my OH to drive us home.

There was about six guests turned up for the dinner and us - so, twelve altogether. It was a small restaurant but pretty. Like an Italian bistro. I was wondering when she was going to give me the money but I couldn't get her alone long enough. FFs. I just flipping knew I'd have to pay!!

So, the guests were told on the menu that they were paying - that's right, the menu. There was a price list on the back of the menu, a card with a front inside and back - the front had congrats Mr&Mrs and inside the stuff and the back had the prices. Lots of confused faces and disgruntled mumblings. So we all ordered anyway - I just said to OH **** it, I'm hungry, I hadn't eaten anything all day, just pay, we got the cheapest thing on the menu, this chicken with white sauce thing and skipped the dessert. A few guests skipped the starters and noone ordered tea or coffee - at 2.50 a pop I'm not that surprised!

Food was nice enough, enjoyed that. I was just of the mind to get this over with. Then the bride did the most disgusting thing I've ever seen! A few guests had given them cards and she proceeded to open them in front of everyone! I could see there was money inside, everyone was just jaw hit the floor staring at her! She didn't seem to cop that. I was waiting for someone to go ape**** but didn't happen. No drinks for us at table - no round bought for us either. I didn't bother getting anything and OH had a coke. There was no speeches either. It was all very subdued.

We all finished up and paid anyway and went to the reception. We were late for it by about an hour. The Inn was nice enough, they had a room upstairs all done up with balloons and there was a cake there - two tiers of cake and like this larger bottom tier of lovely cupcakes. Looked very nice. There was a karaoke machine in the corner and a band setting up. Looked more like a 21st than a wedding. There was a good few people pottering around - maybe 50 people?

Big cheers for the B&G and more photos. Cut the cake, first dance with us and more photos. They plonked themselves down then and started drinking again.

There ended up being maybe, as a guess, 80 people at the reception. Band was good. So that was a relief. By about 10pm people were asking me what the story with food was and I just said I wasn't sure. I didn't know what to say! Me and the OH and the other Bm with her partner just kind of hid round the side of the bar where it was a bit pokey. At 1130pm the cake was cut up - loads of people didn't go up for it, I assume they were waiting for food first or didn't know what to do. My OH stole about ten cupcakes, he was starving.

The band finished up at 12pm and then the Karaoke machine went on. I'd say maybe 25 - 30 people had already left at this stage but I'm not sure. When the Karaoke machine went on it was like someone announced that it was time to go and a load of people just got up and left. So the place was nearly empty by 12:15am. I called it a day at this stage and said my congrats and all that and we ran away. The other BM was supposed to be staying with the bride that night but I couldn't find her to ask if she was still doing that. I'd say she was already gone.

So, that's that. Job done. I'm broke from her and I'd say it'll be last time I speak to her. Her dress went into the bin with her crappy clip.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

Lost for words! You have my sympathy,but at least you survived it in one piece. I honestly thought it couldn't be as bad as you were making out,how wrong I was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Well worth waiting to read! :pac:

I hope that's you done with the bride. Sounds like she had an awful day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Yeatz

So apart from that it went all right then? :L

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I think I'm actually gobsmacked :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

I need a few mins to digest that! Seems like friends weren't the only thing was lost, by the sounds of it her family dont want much to do with her either!

Was she even bothered by the unhappy guests/no family

What a wagon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaisyD2

Worse than expected then & you were a Saint to stay as long as you did!

Hope you & the other half are both off tomorrow with a few quid left after that debacle to go & have a proper afternoon doing something nice for each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I do feel sorry for them. I understand they went about things completely wrong but it must be awful to not have your family stand by you. Friends come and go but you expect your family to support you no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭doireann08

Wow.. just wow. I was hoping and praying that it would turn out ok.. But I am actually speechless... So no one in her family turned up for any part of the day at all?? I am beyond shocked at her behaviour. I can't help but feel sorry for her . Yes her and the groom acted appallingly but there must be a more to the family dynamic than her antics in planning the wedding. It is a bit harsh that none of them were there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Well holy god!

Edit - I've just shown this to the future mrsTeal (we're in the midst of planning our own shindig) and she's speechless, almost won't believe it's non-fiction. . .won't bloody stop asking me questions now. . .head-melter!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

unbelievable!!!!!! :eek:

I feel sorry for the people who gave those stingy gits cash in a card :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Her own family upset her like that the night before her wedding - that's poor form.
    I didn't think you could have a civil ceremony on a Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MrsG

Wow, just wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

Thank you for the update; wow totally speachless !!! Omg

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

You have fair patience !!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Wow. What a c

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I'm shocked OP! I'm sorry it was an even worse day than anticipated. It sounds to me like the bride has some serious issues but is doing an ostrich on it. I'd almost feel sorry for her except that no matter what is actually going on with her, it's no excuse to treat her friends so shabbily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

It sounds very ..... sad. It seems like lots didn't turn up, family not there, a sobering up groom and a bride and groom who just ignored their bridal party.

I know a bride and groom should suit themselves, it's their wedding after all - but there are ways to do things cheaply and intimately without hurting people's feelings and falling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Thank you so much for the update, you have delivered beyond expectations!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I just can't believe that! Crazy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

I can't believe they just left you in a park, that's crazy!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

They sound like truly horrible people. I'm sure you will be happier if you don't see her again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Addle wrote: »
    Her own family upset her like that the night before her wedding - that's poor form.
    I didn't think you could have a civil ceremony on a Saturday?

You can't...unless it was a humanist wedding but hse registrars only do weddings on weekdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Oh my god, that sounds like the most miserable day ever. Surely they would have had a far nicer time if they just went off and got married quietly somewhere themselves, but the bride opening the cards in front of people demonstrates exactly what the wedding was about - money.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nuttyboy79

Wow just wow I spent the weekend checking in to see if there was an update and with all the build up to this the B&G didn't disappoint clueless individuals. WDIC thanks for putting us all out of our misery and I hope you can now get on with your life without the distraction of the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Good lord

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rain1087

Thanks for the update-really appreciate it.
    I've been following this thread for two weeks and the banter was brilliant. :) Tbh i always thought it would turn out fine in the end.

Omg. That poor family.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Fedupguessing

Thank you! Finally, I can leave F5 alone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭shewasdiesel

doireann08 wrote: »
    Wow.. just wow. I was hoping and praying that it would turn out ok.. But I am actually speechless... So no one in her family turned up for any part of the day at all?? I am beyond shocked at her behaviour. I can't help but feel sorry for her . Yes her and the groom acted appallingly but there must be a more to the family dynamic than her antics in planning the wedding. It is a bit harsh that none of them were there

A sad story, no one should be taking any pleasure in
    For whatever reason, It was basically a giant FU to everyone
    Who knows what the real story is behind it all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Omg that was worth the wait. Janey that was nothing like the safe thread, what am ending!! I was so so excited to see an update. Hundreds of Pm'd eh? Lol at least I wasn't the only one.

Well WDIC you behaved with manners and dignity, more than could be said for the bride! Thanks for coming back to update us :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Aww I do actually feel really sorry for her. You're wedding day should be one of the greatest of your life, and I can't imagine that was. Of course it was a lot of her own doing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement