Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapskategate aka How Not To Host Your Wedding

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Books4you

I've have been stalking this thread constantly over the last week. Never laughed so much at some of the replies. Unreal the way some people have the neck on them to treat people like that. B&G definitely well suited. Thanks WDIC for giving us the update (and toots). I don't think I've ever checked a thread on boards so much as this. My poor phone is worn out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

this has to be a spoof ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Just a thought,

Did the invites have an RSVP?

Normally you need to know for food,

Wondering if they were aware of how many we're NOT going to turn up? Or we're they surprised at all?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

KKkitty wrote: »
    Their baby will be born with its hand out haha. All joking aside I don't understand how the bride and groom thought their wedding day would go swimmingly. As word possibly got around about no food obviously potential guests couldn't see any point in going. It's traditional I know but it's just common decency to feed guests something at a wedding. I will never have the pleasure of my dad giving me away so I feel angry at the bride for messing up that beautiful opportunity.

I don't know if they did think it would go swimmingly. The fact that they basically spent their wedding day getting hammered suggests to me that they were well aware that it was a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

It is rare I am stuck for words or a smart comment but I am truly dumbfounded at the antics of what can be only described as the most selfish, greedy, ignorant pair of people I have ever heard of.

whatdoicare, you did your best, I would not let my wife even go to that farce of a reception after being abandoned in the park, only to be quizzed by the hangry guests (most who would have had a very light lunch in anticipation of the upcoming feast later) as to when the food was being served.

Then taking the money from the cards, all she was short of was a shredder for them.
    As rainbowtrout already stated, the first thread was a bit of banter, hairclips and Hunger Games etc, but it reality the bride had fractured her relationship with her father and siblings for the foreseeable future.

Move on and forget about her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Toots* wrote: »
    I don't know if they did think it would go swimmingly. The fact that they basically spent their wedding day getting hammered suggests to me that they were well aware that it was a disaster.

Maybe they wrapped themselves in a bubble about the whole day itself. No matter how much they skimped on the basics they could have thought they'd make it back and more on cards and gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    Just a thought,

Did the invites have an RSVP?

Normally you need to know for food,

Wondering if they were aware of how many we're NOT going to turn up? Or we're they surprised at all?

There was no food. The only food at the reception was the wedding cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I wonder when their greasy little mitts have finished counting their wedding money will they even have a moment of clarity and self reflection and realise that treating their supposed friends and family like sh!t wasn't actually worth it after all?

Tbh I doubt it, they sound truly awful.

Anyone else feeling like this after following the thread for the last 2 weeks?

f5.jpg

Merkin wrote: »
    I wonder when their greasy little mitts have finished counting their wedding money will they even have a moment of clarity and self reflection and realise that treating their supposed friends and family like sh!t wasn't actually worth it after all?

They should be introduced to this thread, the whole flippin thing. Though I really don't think they would realize what they did wrong.

• Advertisement

Merkin wrote: »

I'd imagine their actions will have quite a wide impact. If they did send out all the invites the WDIC made which was 200, it was likely to have included family, friends, work colleagues, people they went to college with etc.

Some of them they may still have to meet on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jake66

What a story !!!!
    It sounds like the newly married couple deserve each other..
    Meanness has to be the worst of all human traits..

They should be introduced to this thread, the whole flippin thing. Though I really don't think they would realize what they did wrong.

Oh I think they would. I think they just wouldn't care. :(

Candie wrote: »
    Oh I think they would. I think they just wouldn't care. :(

Think you're right, they would probably think it's a great laugh.

fineso.mom wrote: »
    The one saving grace of the day ....there were cupcakes!

But they would have murdered a turkey and ham sambo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭roisinbeag

Wow!!! I have no idea what else to say but... 'WOW'!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Thanks so much for the update WDIC. I can't believe after all that, she made you & your OH pay for your own meal! What a liar she is !! And driving off with your phone & leaving ye stranded in the park.....wtf?!
    I assume one of her family was prob supposed to ferry the bridal party around for the photos and when they didn't come
    she had no plan B but still, that's no excuse! So in terms of the predictions that had been made on the original thread sounds like everyone invited to the ceremony was at the meal, ye didn't make it to the reception venue for 6pm, she didn't pay for you and there was no finger
    food at the reception!! Oh and alot of the guests either didn't come at all or buggered off early...what an utter shambles. You were shafted bigtime.....the fact is with her family absent you & the other BM basically kept the whole show on the road for the bride. She would have been LOST without ye. And how does she pay you back? Abandons you in a park and reneges on her promise to pay for your meal!
    Good riddance to a friend like that

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am not sure whether this is all true or not but it makes for great reading :)
    The bride sounds so amazingly self centred and thoughtless that she is lucky anyone turned up !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Candie wrote: »
    I'm finding it hard to have sympathy for the B&G. They organised an exploitative fundraiser of a wedding in a very calculated way, obviously knowing the disapproval it would generate because of how secretive they were.

The families must be devastated.

I really hope they didn't profit as much as they might have hoped to, if that was their plan. Very easy for an invitee to scrap the card they bought and drop in a much lighter one to them in the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Moonbeam wrote: »
    The bride sounds so amazingly self centred and thoughtless that she is lucky anyone turned up !!

The bride is taking all the heat here. I'm convinced the groom had a big hand in it.

• Advertisement

Tarzana wrote: »
    The bride is taking all the heat here. I'm convinced the groom had a big hand in it.

Undoubtedly, it took the agreement of them both to orchestrate this whole thing. I suppose we're just focusing on the bride since WDIC has had most interaction with her. I don't think she's seen much of the groom at all, has she?

They deserve each other anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Following this thread since it was Post of the Day, can't say I am not surprised with the outcome. The B&G sound like they are as tight as two coats of paint, or haven't a red rex between them; there is nothing else, to my mind to explain the meanicity and bad manners displayed at, what should be the happiest day of their lives.

I hope that they do not intend having children who have to endure that level of scrupulous meanness when they are baptised, have birthdays or a possible First Communion.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Oh dear. I was really hoping it would be all right on the night, and was reading the thread with a thrill of horror. It was off the scale un*******believable! I thought the wedding we went to at home was bad enough, but this takes the prize!

Very sad all round. No wonder the 'happy' couple got pissed (classy). 'Twas the only way they could get through it! As for opening the cards at the table? WOW!! It's a wonder she wasn't sat there with a calculator totting up as she opened the cards...

The pity of it is I reckon the B & G will go round telling people how wonderful their wedding was, and simply don't have the nous to realise just how badly they've treated their families and guests. BTW - I wonder if the groom turning up hungover was a clue?

Thanks to WDIC and Toots for keeping us royally entertained for the last two weeks. WDIC - you and the other unfortunate BM are absolute heroines for behaving in such a dignified manner. Lots of others would've lost the plot altogether, especially after being stranded without a backward glance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

This post has been deleted.

LOOOL! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As rainbowtrout already stated, the first thread was a bit of banter, hairclips and Hunger Games etc, but it reality the bride had fractured her relationship with her father and siblings for the foreseeable future.
    I hope the bride wakes up to a nice large bill. As both families have pretty much deserted her, I can't see the marriage lasting that long.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭ohohseven

I've read this thread and the thread before hand and I am struggling to find what the big deal is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

I would like to say fair play to the mods in this part of boards for letting this thread go forward.
    I know the op was deleted but many were following it and it was let to reach an end of story.

Well done mods.

Many threads on boards just get deleted.

Thanks OP for the update and hope you have a great future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

ohohseven wrote: »
    I've read this thread and the thread before hand and I am struggling to find what the big deal is.

wind up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Just arrived home from a night out- my weekend. Has been made by seeing this thread reiopened! oP you deserve a medal for surviving the wedding!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement